Out of Sight

Damn. I ask myself why am I’m so negative. And my answer is because it‘s hard to stay positive. My idealism was long ago usurped by my cynicism thanks to the impact of realism. Everyday new headlines fuel my frustration over how things are, instead of how they should be. Everything is just so haywire. So fucked up. So disgusting. How can people retain their faith when trouble is rampant and their prayers for the world to get better go unanswered.

Justice is certainly elusive, whether it allows George Zimmerman to go free while Trayvon Martin rots in his grave, whether it penalizes struggling loan-strapped college students while granting the war mongering Military a trillion dollar budget, whether it results in building new institutions that imprison black men while neglecting old schools that fail black children, whether it reminds of all the advantages that accure to the heir to the British throne while it mocks the fate of infants born into poverty. It’s always something. Corrupt politics, rampant crime, blatant vice, religious exploitation, celebrity garbage.

Needless to say, I am world-weary. Tired. But escape is just a click away. The same source that delivers bad news and sours my disposition, also offers me a respite from the hell of reality, and launches me into a different dimension. The old boob tube. Television and its hidden treasures that provide enlightenment and diversion.

The Science cable is one such gem and is among my favorite channels. Especially when it explores the subject of outer space. I am captivated by the amazing special effects that turn a TV screen into a vast window to the awesome universe, recreating all that the Big Bang has spawned: billions of galaxies containing trillions of planets and suns and moons and meteors, and above all, those heavenly bodies which we, as humans, share every scientific component. **Stars!**

With a shout out to Morgan Freeman, accompanying these visuals are the narrations that translate physics, astronomy, geology and chemistry into layman language, offering explanations and postulations that boggle the mind. Phenomena like red giants and white dwarfs, worm holes and blacks holes, string theories and anti-matter are subjects that amaze!

And that which really fills this star child with wonder, is what is interdespersed between all of these revolving rocks and mysterious pulsations, a something that remains constant; a paradox of strength and weakness. The clue to a fourth dimension, the yin to water’s yang, the source of both chaos and order. It binds solar systems, and influences the orbits of their planets, controls the flight path of comets and asteroids, creates implosions, causes collisions, interacts with electro magnetism, accommodates aerodynamics. What is it? The powerful invisibility that is everlasting, here, there, above, below, and beyond, holding it together! The G Spot…

And because it keeps me grounded, I know that my body is under its earthly spell. My mind, however, has no mass or weight and it is free to soar. Free to imagine and ponder and divest itself of all worldly cares, knowing that this roving element is suckin it up, doin its thing...

Y.T.I.V.A.R.G

:o 

• Like 1