Indie Films: "The Happy Sad" & "Spark" Pubbing Reviews on AALBC.com

I've been publishing film reviews almost as long as I have been publishing book reviews -- more than 15 years. About seven years ago, in an efforts to bolster traffic, I began regularly publishing film reviewsy.  Some months, for a number of reasons, I may actually pub more film reviews than book reviews.

Since someone has to write the screenplay and often screenwriters are also novelist, film and books are related so I don't see film reviews as a radical departure from the focus of AALBC.com.

Generally, I try to publish reviews of certainly the most prominent Black indie films (domestic and foreign).  I'm actually quite happy to be working with Kam Williams who has written thousands of film reviews.  Because of Kam, I've been able to compile a treasure trove of indie Black film reviews, interviews and more.  

Reviews of Black indie films don't generate much traffic, but I believe the information is important to promote, compile and archive.  But this no different than what I do for Black books.

What does generate traffic are the reviews of the blockbuster films.  During the first day or two of a blockbuster film's release, these reviews are often the most frequently visited pages on the site.  The review of  the film 2 Guns is one example.  Again, traffic is the only motivation (though Denzel did star in the film) for pubbing a review of a big budget film and I wish it were not a tactic that worked.  I'm not too keen on giving free promotion to the rich because that free promotion comes at the expense of doing something free for an indie writers.  

Sometimes I post reviews of films are have very little connection to AALBC.com or it's mission AND are not likely to generate much traffic.  The following two film reviews; The Happy Sad and Spark: A Burning Man Story.  In this case I just think the films are interesting (albeit to a very limited audience).  There is also a little curiosity, or my part, to see what interest I might be able to generate.

Now Spark: A Burning Man Story, as far as I can tell, doesn't have a single Black person involved on any level.  But hey lets see what happens.   The Happy Sad at least has some Black characters but it also contains homosexual subject matter.  Of course many Black folks are turned off by this type of content and having this film on the site can actually hurt the site. But if I worried about the fragile sensibilities of some Black folks I would not have Black conservative writers, erotica, urban fiction, on AALBC.com either. 

indie-films-august-2013.jpg

Limited resources (read: time available to engage in revenue generating tasks) does not allow me to experiment with publishing content unlikely to generate very much interest (read: revenue) very often.

I could perhaps should use this extra time to promote an unknown indie author with free supports, but obtaining a descent critical review of an unknown indie authors is just hard -- much harder than any other time I've been running AALBC.com.  This is why we rarely see reviews of book written by independent Black writers.  Actually it is why we rarely see critical reviews of ANY Black books...sad...but that is a post for another day.

What do you think about my posting reviews of these types of films?  Have you previously heard of them?  Do you now have any interest in seeing them?  Should I stop wasting my time publishing reviews of film like this or do you appreciate content like this?  Should I focus more on books?

Hopefully some lurkers will step out of the shadows and reply to these questions.  At least 100 different people will see and read this message before the weekend.   It would be nice to get a few comments by then.

Peace

If I may, I'd like to offer an comment/opinion on the movie "Happy Sad"....

First off, the advertisement:

They say a picture is worth a thousands words.
I notice that in the top picture you have 2 men in bed.
One of African descent the other White.

But in the bottom picture there's clearly a White man and a White woman.

This to me is unequal.
Lopsided.

White does the traditional male/female relationship go to a White couple...
But the only time a Black male is involved when we see an abnormal/homosexual/down low relationship?

Then the plot:

After reading the plot or summary of the movie, from what I gather it's basically about a White man who wants to form a traditional relationship but is "tempted" or "stolen away" by a gay Black man who introduces him to his own bisexuality.

You know...

((Pioneer takes a deep breath and leans back in his chair))

I've noticed over the years that when White people want to be "naughty"....
When they want to take a trip on the "wild side".....
When they want to rebel and break all the rules......

They often find a Black person to do it with.

It's not THEIR fault, it's always a "demon" or "devil" tempting them to do something they ordinarily wouldn't think of doing.

So now the Black man takes the role of the devil or temptor who takes the "good" family man or "good" White man off the right path into a path of lust and lies.

Umph....umph....umph...

The more things change the more they often stay the same.

Troy
I'm not much of a movie critic or professional reviewer but you're welcomed to share my commentary/opinion with others who may find my take interesting.

Pioneer the answer to all your questions is that the film is made by a white people. 

This is why we need Black films.  But apparently they are not viable in our market driven economy unless we make them in the shuckin' and jivin' vein. 

Troy

America likes stereotypes.

They want to see stereotypes.

As I write this post while watching TLC channel and seeing an advertisment of the Cake Boss.......

As much as I've complained about the stereotypical AfroAmerican roles on television and in the movies, it seems to me that Italians suffer through this as much as any other group.
90% of the shows they are featured in revolves around them either being in the Mafia and/or being depicted as crazy, quicktempered, and violent.
But while some resent it, others are pimping off of the image and using it to make money for themselves.

Just like a lot of these gangsta rappers who are quite intelligent in real life (like 50cent and Lil' Wayne) are making money off of the stereotype of young Black males as violent and criminal minded.....too many Black producers and directors are using the stereotype of shucking and jiving sexually immoral "negritude" to make money without any regard for the consequences.

I suspect that as long as America maintains it's appetite for ethnic stereotypes and are willing to pay to get their fill of it, very little will change.

I tell people to study the Chinese Cultural Revolution and how the Communist party FORCED an end to the old superstitions and stereotypes.