The “Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth” Interview

Troy

Kam interviewed Alice Walker last week.  I think this is one of his more interesting interviews. 

I was rather struck by Alice's response to his question about her estrangement with her daughter.  Her answer caught me, as a father of two girls as somewhat too accepting, maybe a tad bit cold.  But hey if you get anything from the interview it is that Alice does and say what she wants.  

Of course I was with her on her opinion of Obama, not so much as an personal thing against Obama, but just the realization that, as Alice puts it, "I think I’ve actually returned to a kind of realism about how the world works. That’s helpful. Because in a way, no matter who’s in charge of the corporation that the United States is, the direction in which it is taken seems to be inexorable. So, you just get the job of being the front man for four or eight years. Now, most people realize that’s what you are."

alice-walker.jpg

This was a very incisive interview.  Walker and Toni Morrison are such original thinkers that they have earned their iconic status. I think what is apparent about them is that they are old souls.  The not only have knowledge and talent; they have wisdom and genius.