History and old men, is there a relationship there?

Well Thump, since you're the oldest one around here ( I don't know why you posted that fake birth date) you'll have to tell us.

Thumper is the one in the middle.

I see, I must have hit a little TOO CLOSE to home, huh? Uh, Carey, didn't you say that you just STARTED a history book? Could you elaborate a little on the book for the people?

Guest soul sister

Ahhhhhh, my two favorites -- ole' timers and such. Much love brothers. I believe reading choices are simliar to music choices. I read somewhere that the younger the person the more into hip hop while the mature ear leans towards jazz and classic/neo-classic r and b. I am grooving with Anthony Hamilton - I just found the brother and LOVE HIM. Smooth sound, no cussing and very picturesque.

On the flip side there are some young brothers wrestling with deep authors like Baldwin, Rudolph Fisher, Fanon and others. So there is no clean/cut answer - but than again y'all know gray is my favorite color -- peace

Soul Sister

remember - age is just a number - and since I will be hitting the speed limit within select cities -- I've gotten over the fear, shock and awe and learning to enjoy the ride and drink in the view - smile

Ahhhhhh, my two favorites -- ole' timers and such. Much love brothers. I believe reading choices are simliar to music choices. I read somewhere that the younger the person the more into hip hop while the mature ear leans towards jazz and classic/neo-classic r and b. I am grooving with Anthony Hamilton - I just found the brother and LOVE HIM. Smooth sound, no cussing and very picturesque.

On the flip side there are some young brothers wrestling with deep authors like Baldwin, Rudolph Fisher, Fanon and others. So there is no clean/cut answer - but than again y'all know gray is my favorite color -- peace

Soul Sister

remember - age is just a number - and since I will be hitting the speed limit within select cities -- I've gotten over the fear, shock and awe and learning to enjoy the ride and drink in the view - smile

Hey Soul Sister,

I have to agree with you on the music tip. I find myself listening to more jazz and hard, old school R&B and blues. Right now, I have just fallen heads over heels in love with a couple of white female singes, Eva Cassidy and Anita O'Day. Eva Cassidy was a bad girl. She could sing any and everything. She recorded two Aretha Franklin covers; Chain of Fools and Won't Be Long (One of Aretha's first side) and did a wonderful job on both, which is saying a lot because following after the Queen isn't for the no-talented and weak-hearted. I just started listening to Anita O'Day because I read an article about her here on the site. The author called her the "Original Blue-Eyed Soul Singer" and I have to admit that there's a lot of truth to that. Anita did not sing Soul or R&B, per se, she was strictly jazz. She's a cross between Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. Her scatting reminds me of Sarah Vaughan or Betty Carter. I am going crazy over her.