I Voted for Bernie

I went to my polling place at 7:30 a.m.; one would have thought it was a midterm election--there was barely a soul in sight.  Even our convoluted process of; determining your district, getting the ballot, filling out the ballot, and finally scanning it went quickly, simply because no one else was ahead of me.

Interestingly, I did not have to show any form of identification.  Given the scrawl that I use as my signature, I'm confident virtually anyone could walked in and voted in my place.  One has to show identification just to walk into a local bar, but not to vote.

Bernice seemed to have had much more buzz on a grassroots level.  But Hillary was backed by many of the same NYC groups that backed her when she ran against Barack Obama.  

The teachers union backed Hillary, my local newspaper the Amsterdam News backed Hillary. However most people I talk to back Bernie.  If they favor Hillary, they are less than enthusiastic about it--or are keeping to themselves.  

I bet if Bernie was 25 years younger Hillary would not have a chance.  

Some pundits believe Hillary will be indicted and her candidacy be rendered moot.  If you have not heard about the Panama Papers, check it out. There are rumors she and Bill may have some concerns, over and above the mail server issues.

It is fascinating how people generally think Bernie will not be able to do anything and everything he is saying he will do is unrealistic.  I don't recall anyone saying that about Obama.

Obama promised a lot and even got a Noble Peace Prize, based apparently on his promises.  But we see American military action in the Middle east has not ended, drone strikes have escalated, Guantanamo is still open, etc.  Maybe this is why Bernie's promises are criticized as being unreasonable. Then it is not clear to me why Hillary would be more believable.  

Even if Bernie ekes out a win in New York, it does not look like the powers that be want him as a candidate.  The NY and CA results will be very interesting.

The Donald is predicted to win the NY primary quite handily. But NY, and NYC in particular, is a blue state so I expect both Hillary and Bernie to beat The Donald in the popular vote.

• Like 1

I heard there were some problems with NYC polling stations.
They said many people who attempted to vote for the Democrat candidates couldn't cast their ballots or their registrations couldn't be found.

If this is true, they better correct this problem before November.

It's funny you say New York is a blue state.
I haven't spent much time in New York but I used to live in Pennsylvania and I was surprised at how rural and conservative so much of that state is given that it's on the Eastcoast.

New York City by itself has the population of the rest of the entire state.  According to the stats that i recall.  Hillary got more votes than all of the republican candidates combined--by far.  Bernie got more popular votes than Trump.  NY as usual, will go to the democratic candidate.

None of the independent voters were allowed to cast a vote in this primary.  New York only allows people registered in a party to vote for a candidate in a party.  The belief is that many independent voters, who would have voted for Bernie, did not have an opportunity to do it; though it probably would not have make much of a difference.

I was registered as an independent until Obama ran the first time.  I switched my party affiliation so that I could vote for him.

Trump won every county in New York State with the exception of the one I reside, New York county (Manhattan).

@Pioneer1, sure based upon square footage NY State, like most states I suspect is pretty rural.  However most of the people live in the cities and those cities are overwhelmingly liberal.  Trump, not any republican candidate, has any hope of carrying NY in the general election.  But if Hillary is indicted, who knows what will happen.

I understand the demographics  and population distribution of states like New York and Pennsylvania.

What gets me is how so many people born and raised in Northern States around big eastcoast cosmopolitan cities like New York and Philadelphia can STILL have such conserative right-wing and in many cases "red neck" political and social views like I found in Pennsylvania.

I think I saw more Confederate flags driving around mid-Pennyslvania than I saw all over the south.

Pennsylvania  produced Taylor Swift who does a lot of country music.
Why would a girl born and raised in a mid-Atlantic state promote "country"?

How can people just a few miles away have views so different from their urban counterparts.

You find the same thing in Illinois with people from Southern, Central and even parts of Northern Illinois having vastly different political and social beliefs than those in the Chicago area.

Something is going on around the nation that is driving the more rural populations outside of the cities to be of similar mindsets...I believe it's TALK RADIO.

Yeah terrestrial talk radio seems to be biased to the right. Sirius XM is much more balance, but has a much smaller audience.  I see more confederate flags in the south than in the north.  In the south they are commonplace.

What you are describing Pioneer is more a function class, culture, and education rather than geography.  

Yes, places like Missouri and Illinois are part of the "Ozarks" area which has a very strong backwoods rural tradition.

Parts of Pennsylvania and Ohio have that same tradition as large segments of it are part of the Appalachia Mountain range.

Hillbillies for real.

Culture and education does have a lot to do with it, but rural people who live far away from large cosmopolitan cities tend to be narrow or closed minded, fearful of anything and anyone "different", and conservative in their thinking whether it's down south, up north, or even out west where you have a lot of very racist conservatives living in the rural mountainous parts of the so-called liberal Pacific Northwest.

I observed more racism in the southern Midwestern region in places like Missouri and Nebraska than I had in the deep southern states of Alabama and Mississippi.