Nate Parker's Film The Birth of A Nation

birth of a nation.jpg“Actor-director-producer Nate Parker made history by inking a landmark $17.5 million Sundance deal to sell his slavery drama The Birth of A Nation to Fox Searchlight, starting his 2017 Oscar campaign a full year early. The vibrant and lyrical portrait of the divisive African American hero is an incendiary inquiry into themes of racism and faith that still echo today.”—Daily Beast

Set against the antebellum South, The Birth of a Nation follows Nat Turner (Nate Parker), a literate slave and preacher, whose financially strained owner, Samuel Turner (Armie Hammer), accepts an offer to use Nat's preaching to subdue unruly slaves. As he witnesses countless atrocities - against himself and his fellow slaves - Nat orchestrates an uprising in the hopes of leading his people to freedom. (In Theaters: Oct 7, 2016 Limited)

It seems Park's film is not a reboot of 1915 film Birth of a Nation (which dealt with the Civil War and the rise of the Klan in it's aftermath).  Nate's story is about the Nat Turner.  I'm looking forward to this one!

birth-of-a-nation.jpg

Now THIS is a slavery-time flick I wouldn't mind spending my money to see.

I'm sure Snoop Doggy Dogg Lion wouldn't either.

Movies like this and Glory aren't as offensive as Roots or 12 Years a Slave because more than showing helpless Black men and women getting raped, whipped, and killed....it actually shows the resilience of Black manhood in the face of oppression and violent opposition.

People often go to the movies to ESCAPE reality.
Especially Black men who live in a society where their manhood is constantly challenged.

• Like 1