The Importance of Association for the Study of African American Life and History

Dr. Sandra Jowers-Barber, assistant professor of history at the University of the District of Columbia interviews Sylvia Y. Cyrus, Executive Director of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. The Association for the Study of Negro Life and History now called the Association for the Study of African American Life and History was founded by Dr. Carter G. Woodson in 1915 in response to the lack of information on the accomplishments of African Americans. 

Dr. Woodson, who died in 1950, didn't start his formal education until he was 20 years old. From that late academic beginning he went on to become the second African American to earn a PhD from Harvard University. He established Negro History Week in 1926 and 50 years later in 1976 the week that week became a month-long celebration that today is supported nationally and internationally. Sylvia Cyrus discusses the significance and on-going importance of the Association.

AALBC.com will make sure that all of the titles published as part of the partnership of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History and Black Classic Press.  

carter-g-woodson-books-1024.jpg

@Troy   I have been hesitating as to whether I want to post my latest essay about my personal history as a black person because it can be judged "irrelevant".  But I do think what I have to say may be interesting or even amusing  to the generations who came after mine. It's a chronicle not so much about me  as about my times. Warning: it's kinda long,  Your thoughts?