U.S. Senators Demand Study on Federal Advertising in Black-owned Media

fedspending_corybooker_3521_fallen_web12

In a letter sent, November 3, 2016, to the Government Accountability Office by the 5 U.S. Senators request-

"As one of the largest advertisers in the United States, the federal government should play an active role in ensuring that minority-owned media outlets have fair opportunities to compete for and be awarded federal advertising contracts."

A 2007 report revealed the federal government agencies spent more than $4 billion in advertising but " a pittance of that amount (5% from 5 agencies) was spent with minority media publications." 

Maybe some of those advertising dollars might find its way to websites with  large audiences too.

Follow or contact these five senators .S. Senator Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) was joined by fellow Democratic Senators Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), and Cory Booker (D-N.J.) for updates on how to bid for these advertising contracts. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I still need to follow up on this.  

Here too is another area where Google dominated--control over online advertising.  Over that years I've participated in a number of advertising networks, including Black-owned ones.  In the past, they provided a diverse revenue stream, which reduced risk.  Today Goolge has won the battle of the ad networks (at least for this site). Google Adsense is the only one that generates a reasonable amount of revenue.  

When there is an effective monopoly, bad things begin to happen.  Today with AALBC.com page views at record highs, Google Adsense revenue is lower than it has been historically, even with less traffic.  Of course with fewer options, Google can reduce with they pay to the platforms who carry their ads.

Fortunately, I can, and do, sell my own advertising.  Selling ads directly provides a better, less expense, more flexible service to the customer than they would get going through Google, but it was better having a more diversified revenue stream.

• Like 1