AALBC Bestselling Books for May/June - 2018

The Story of the Moors In Spain by Stanley Lane-Poole was a surprise bestseller. He is English Egyptologist who died in the 1930's.  His work however is recognized as being quite substantial and accurately portrays the impact of Africans in Europe.

I'm reading Barracoon now.  I actually visited Eatonville, last week, where Zora Neale Hurston (the author) is from. 

AALBC Bestselling Books for May/June - 2018

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, Troy said:

I'm reading Barracoon now.  I actually visited Eatonville, last week, where Zora Neale Hurston (the author) is from. 

Wow that's interesting! I came to live in Central Florida last year as I am temporarily displaced and after reading this post and googling Eatonville, I am surprised to 

learn that it is about 30 minutes from my home! I didn't know Ms. Hurston was from Florida. In all my life, I never in a million years thought that I would ever have a chance to see Florida, in fact, I had mixed emotions about it being a part of 'the Deep South'. I also found out that Ray Charles was also a part of Florida too. I am definitely looking forward to 

reading Barracoon! 

This book would be the first time I have heard of someone, other than my own families' story,  being stolen from Africa and forced on a slave ship after the Brits ended the trade! 

@Chevdove are you saying that you know of family members who also survived the transatlantic slave trade?  Perhaps they are part of the same "cargo."  Is your family from LA or MS?  

Where in Florida does your family live?  Depending upon where you are in the state some parts are easily more cosmopotitial that the North.  

Neither LA nor MS but South Carolina.

I am in Sanford, Fl. I actually live only about 7 minutes from where the late Trayvon Martin's father resided. Sanford is beautiful around the Seminole 

Town Center where I live. I love to also drive down Rinehart Rd to Lake Mary and, I love to drive down SR 46 to downtown Sanford's historic district.

You know, I read a little of the overview of Barracoon and I was so surprised that the slave cargo was around 1860. That would be after the 

Fugitive Slave law of 1850 and then almost before the Emancipation law. That is insane!

My Great grandmother came from cargo from EAst Africa and I believe this story is about cargo from West Africa in 1860. 

I have gotten the stories about her from my aunts, one of whom knew the slave girl/woman personally. This particular aunt is still living today.

She is in her nineties. She recants the stories as if she is sill living in that moment.