Thanksgiving Freedom - The 1841 Creole Rebellion

There aren't [m]any books out there about the Creole Rebellion. So I have to describe it from my knowledge of it all and from accounts/research.

White imperialist Thomas McCargo and the Johnson and Eperson Company were transporting 135 enslaved Afrikans from Virginia to New Orleans aboard the Creole in November 1841. One of the ancestors onboard was Madison Washington. He escaped imperial slavery and fled to Canada a year earlier. But Washington returned to Virginia in search of his wife. He was re-captured, placed on the Creole, and was on his way to perpetual slavery. Brother Washington’s fighting spirit wasn’t having it.

Washington led 18 other brothers on an all-out mutiny aboard the ship. They killed one white imperialists and overwhelmed the rest of them, including Captain Robert Ensor. We suffered one casualty, as one of our warriors died from a gunshot wound. Washington gave the navigator two choices – take them to Liberia or be thrown overboard. The navigator said the trip was too far. Ben Blacksmen, another brother, remembered a story about a place called the Bahamas. The navigator said he could take them there.

They arrived in Nassau sometime in late November 1841. Free black folks working at the port greeted the brothers and sisters. The 117 ancestors onboard were immediately freed and told to live happily ever after in the Bahamas. The 17 soldiers were arrested. But five months later, April 16, 1842, a Nassau Court ordered them freed. They lived happily ever after in the Bahamas. The Creole Rebellion is technically the most successful freedom fight in our history since so many of us were freed.

But the story did not have a completely happy ending. Three enslaved women voluntarily went back to New Orleans with the white imperialists. They chose slavery. Their children (one boy, one girl) went with them. It’s a sad reminder that coonery is real and DEEPLY ingrained. But our innate fighting spirit is as well.

• Thanks 1

Maybe you're right. But that's still no excuse for coonery on crack. They would be doing their families much more good by establishing lives as free people, perhaps learning to read and write, and keeping an oral and written history of their families. If the whole family is enslaved, there is no hope and no future at all. Personally I think it was selfish and evil for them to take the kids with them. If they want to be slaves, so be it. Those kids sniffed freedom. Just think of how deflated their minds and souls were upon getting back on that slave ship. "Mommy wants us to be slaves, not free kids learning mathematics, reading and potentially becoming successful at something." My heart breaks for the kids.

@Kareem, I hear you Brother, but consider a woman who never knew freedom -- perhaps for generations -- who was then placed in a foreign land far removed from eveything she knew and expected to fend for herself and children. 

Clearly, she felt she was better off back in Virginia. I have no idea why, but it is hard for me to judge someone so harshly a century later in a circumstance that is completely unimaginable.

If it is any consolation the kids probably did see freedom as emancipation was just 24 years later.

56 minutes ago, Troy said:

but it is hard for me to judge someone so harshly a century later in a circumstance that is completely unimaginable.

But is it really unimaginable? It strikes me as very similar to dumb niggas in 2019 doing dumb nigga stuff to end up back in prison after being released after 5+ years. They are so accustomed to that "life" of being told what to do, getting free food, sleeping in a cage, and surviving like animals among other slaves with white massa in charge. It's like they are scared to make a life for themselves outside of prison. That is my impression of these women in 1841. It's really not that different and certainly not unimaginable.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

If it is any consolation the kids probably did see freedom as emancipation was just 24 years later.

If they survived that long, maybe. The kids were young enough not to be institutionalized, like their mothers. The kids essentially won the lottery, but lost the winning ticket. That causes people to commit suicide. Perhaps the kids went back top New Orleans and told other kids about their visit to a holy place called the Bahamas, similar to my spiritual experience. Maybe they inspired other rebellions as a result. But I still cannot excuse these "mothers" for bringing their kids back to white imperialism. It would have been more dignified simply to kill their kids than make them suffer a long, tortuous death called slavery.

If is hard to say, for certain, what you'd do unless you're actually in the situation.

A lot of Brothers who have been locked up for a long period of time go back to prison, for a wide variety of reasons. Shoot, some folks go to prison deliberately as they can't make it on the outside

On 12/5/2019 at 8:03 PM, Troy said:

If is hard to say, for certain, what you'd do unless you're actually in the situation.

Our enslavement has not really changed in 400 years. Granted 90%+ of the ancestors prior to 1920s could not read and did not know much beyond the slave quarters. But freedom is a human instinct. Today whenever I go into cities and towns for whatever reason, I'm always carrying at least two firearms. I made the decision years ago that I will never again be kidnapped by white people in cop costumes, placed in a cage, and have my fate decided by three more white people (judge, prosecutor, public defender) being paid by the same people who kidnapped me. If they want to give me a ticket for speeding, fine. But once I smell that very distinct, feral scent of violence and manipulation, I'm firing the first shots. I will be dead within a week tops thereafter (probably within minutes). But I simply don't/won't play coon for the whiteboy. They will have to kill me. I'll mind my own business if they mind theirs. Unfortunately we know they cannot mind their own business whether its in Compton, Grand Rapids, MI; or Sirte, Libya.

No living creature wants to be caged. All living creatures above insects know danger and oppression. Several studies have found that birds kept in cages have much shorter lifespans than free birds, despite being regularly fed and living in perfect temperatures. Our ancestor women on the Creole didn't need the ability to read War and Peace to yearn freedom like all normal humans. They simply chose slavery. They chose acquiescence. Like black homophiles today appealing to white liberal debauchery and manipulation, and black Trump shoulder monkeys taking on the controlled, obedient "black friend" role, these women aboard Creole wanted to impress their masters by showing obedience. It's no different than a dog bringing you your newspaper from outside in the morning. It is trying to impress its owner.

Further, domestic dogs were nowhere near as common in the USA in 1860 as they are today. Why? Because dogs replaced slaves. White people need someone/something that is unconditionally loyal to feel worthy of life. They need something/someone to order around, kick, cage, and feed when they feel like it so they feel in control. Hell, why do you think white males technically (though not in reality) "allowed" black men to vote 50+ years before they allowed their own mothers, wives and daughters to vote? Of course dogs are treated 1000x better in white households of 2019 than black people were in white households 1819. That is also part of the reason I will never "own" a dog.

19 hours ago, Kareem said:

dogs are treated 1000x better in white households of 2019 than black people were in white households 1819. That is also part of the reason I will never "own" a dog.

Sad but true. I never did understand the culture's fixation with dogs. Kissing them in the mouth, sleeping in bed with them, buying expensive food... Given the way they treated Michael Vick, one could argue white folks treat dogs better than Black even in 2019.

People have had dogs for all recorded history. They provide protection, helped us hunt, herded sheep, and provided useful services. Today ehelp the blind navigate city streets and find bomb hidden in luggage. But up until recently dogs slept outside and ate table scraps. 

Today people carry them in purses and bring them on planes for comfort!? If you can't get in a plane without your dog you don't need to be in a plane; you need psychiatric help.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Kissing them in the mouth, sleeping in bed with them, buying expensive food

Bestiality is legal in Germany, Hungary, Romania, Russia, Finland, Iceland, and Serbia. Denmark just outlawed it a few years ago. This is one of the last two posts I made on Facebook before being banned. White people regularly f*** dogs, horses and other animals. Germany is a hotbed for dog sex tourism. This is innate Euro-culture, just like pedophilia and homophilia. They are a very weird species.

13 hours ago, Troy said:

People have had dogs for all recorded history. They provide protection, helped us hunt, herded sheep, and provided useful services.

Correct. People kept dogs around throughout history because dogs served a tangible purpose. Today in the USA, dogs are decoration. Dogs are accessories. Dogs are sex partners for white people. Funny I broke up with a white girl years ago because she allowed dogs to sleep in our bed and lay on our furniture. NOPE!