What Is "Black" Culture? We Didn't All Grow Up The Same

I was watching Candace Owens interviewing a pro Second Amendment AfroAmerican man named Maj Toure and it reminded me of the exchange between Troy and myself about how AfroAmerican communities around the nation differ and how those who grew up in the Industrial Midwest in the 1970s had a different experience than those who grew up on the Eastcoast at the same time.

I don't agree with everything he says but if you watch the video from where I started it (20 minute mark) to the next 10 minutes or so he goes deep into how "Black Culture" has been twisted and turned since the 1990s and how Hip Hop was used as a tool to help change the image of Black culture for the worse.

When he mentions how the Cosby Show represented Black culture from his perspective and Candace said that Family Matters represented Black culture I understood completely what they said because THOSE were the typical "Black family" models that I remembered growing up in a working class Black neighborhood in Detroit.
They weren't doctors or lawyers like the Huxtables, but they were working class factory workers with both parents and it was almost ALL Black!
The lawyers were Black
The police were Black.
Many of the teachers were Black.
The city workers were Black.

Although it did have it's ghettos, most Black folks I grew up seeing in Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee in the late 70s DID NOT live packed up in slums being kicked around by white police officers like so many AfroAmericans in New York or Los Angeles during that same time.

We must understand that a lot of AfroAmericans were doing MUCH better back in the 1970s and 1980s in places like Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis than their children are currently.

Since I find Candice revolting I probably will not watch this video.  Presumably Maj Toure believe we should all be caring guns, so I have no interest in hearing what he has to say either.

Was the main take-away here; That "Hip Hop was used as a tool to help change the image of Black culture for the worse."

"Tool" implies it was designed to serve a purpose. If the implication was that it was designed to damage Black culture.  I do not believe that.

Hip Hop was cooped by non-Black people to generate wealth for non-Black people.  As a tool for wealth generation Hop Hip has been wildly successful. Any influence on "Black culture," for better or worse, is purely incidental.  

Troy

You find Candace "revolting"?????

Damn.

What is it bro?
Did the White wife hypnotize you or something, lol.

I don't agree with the girl's politics but "revolting" would be one of the LAST words I'd use for her.

Anyway, they briefly discussed how stereotypical "Black culture" has been portrayed over the past generation and how we went from having wholesome shows featuring intelligent AfroAmerican families like The Cosby Show and Family Matters to shows like Real Housewives of Atlanta and Love And Hiphop.

I remember when The Cosby Show was getting a bad rap back in the 1990s for supposedly not giving an accurate portrayal of AfroAmerican families but I didn't understand this because atleast HALF of the Black families I grew up around had both parents in the home and were highly functioning even if they didn't have a lot of money.
Violence and teen pregnancy was a pretty big problem, but you didn't see any transgendered or suicidal children and I believe there were only a few autistic children in the entire school.

Hip Hop was cooped by non-Black people to generate wealth for non-Black people.  As a tool for wealth generation Hop Hip has been wildly successful. Any influence on "Black culture," for better or worse, is purely incidental.  

So I take it that you don't believe there was a CONSPIRACY to promote gangsta rap and all of the glorification of murder, drug dealing, and social dysfunctionality that comes along with it toward the Black community, huh?

46 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't agree with the girl's politics but "revolting" would be one of the LAST words I'd use for her.

That is because you judge people largely on how they look; which is probably why you are so fixated on people's skin color.

I just wanna punch Candice in her smug liitle mouth. 

50 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

you didn't see any transgendered or suicidal children and I believe there were only a few autistic children in the entire school.

Dude because people were closeted, ashamed, it was all hidden. Just because you didn't see it does not mean it did not exist.

We used to hide the mentally ill in asylums. Today they sleep on the sidewalks next to the impoverished.

54 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

So I take it that you don't believe there was a CONSPIRACY to promote gangsta rap and all of the glorification of murder, drug dealing, and social dysfunctionality that comes along with it toward the Black community, huh?

No, of course not. Gansta rap proliferated because it was profitable. Dr. Dre is a 9-figga-nigga as a result. If it did not make any money white people wouldn't have shit to do with it.

Oh no, not in the face....lol.

Troy

That is because you judge people largely on how they look; which is probably why you are so fixated on people's skin color.

Whether it's good or bad, the fact is MOST men judge a woman's attractiveness largely on her physical appearance.
It's part of natural instinct because her looks is genetic and can be passed down from generation to generation...not necessarily her politics or religion.

Dude because people were closeted, ashamed, it was all hidden. Just because you didn't see it does not mean it did not exist.

I knew a few openly gay AfroAmerican men growing up.....not as many as today...but they existed.  But I'm not talking about being GAY I'm talking about TRANSGENDERED and there's a difference.

Trangendered is a form of sexual "confusion" in which you are anatomically one sex but identify with another.  I'm saying THAT was far less common when I was growing up in the AfroAmerican community as you see today.

Gansta rap proliferated because it was profitable

According to those who follow these things, Gangsta Rap is mostly LISTENED to by AfroAmericans but mostly BOUGHT by Caucasians.

One must question why so many Caucasians love supporting music that promotes and glorifies the worst elements of the AfroAmerican community.

That would be like AfroAmericans being the largest purchasers of Nazi material and supporting the Nazi culture.

*You KNOW you need to be ashamed of yourself picking on that sweet little innocent young lady like that, lol.