Negro Leagues officially recognized by MLB

Major League Baseball on Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2020 recognized the Negro Leagues as a major league and will now count the statistics and records of thousands of Black players as part of the game's storied history.

The move officially puts Negro League stats into the record book and gives thousands of Black players the official designation of being major-league baseball players.

According to ESPN, Willie Mays will add some hits to his record, Monte Irvin's big league batting average should climb over .300, and Satchel Paige might add nearly 150 victories to his total.

Josh Gibson, the greatest of all Negro League sluggers, might just wind up with a major league record too.

The statistics and records of greats such as Gibson, Paige and roughly 3,400 other players are set to join Major League Baseball's books after MLB announced Wednesday that it is reclassifying the Negro Leagues as a major league.

( End ESPN snippet )

This is just unbelievable! I am thrilled!

That's mighty Josh Gibson below.

Josh Gibson.jpg

Baseball is fighting for relevancy.

I find modern baseball with the cameras, focus on stats, 160+game seasons, crazy ticket prices, an expensive, boring indulgence, so i can't get worked up about anything MLB is doing.

Bring back the Negro Leagues, that might get me excited.

More seriously, It would be interesting to see negro league stats bump some major league stats, but it will probably take some time before that happens

I believe all professional sports leagues are worried about their bottom lines and so are their team owners.

It is not just Major League Baseball.

Just as you, Troy, I cannot wait until the records of our Black ballplayers are matched up against the traditional White stalwarts that we learned of as children. 

Covid-19 is going to end the dreams of many and cause the loss of billions. I would hate to see a team definitely headed to a post-season only to loose its star player or perhaps two to Covid-19.