Nu Shooz

It just may be that after three decades, there is a very slight chance that I may get the chance, at last, to formally address what happened to me on May 18th 1983. It was on that day, a bright, sunny May morning that I stepped off my front porch and it took me over ten years to get back. I was arrested for a crime I didn't commit. Here's the story. At approximately 8:00am on that morning I received a phone from one of my girlfriends, who was in jail. The other one was beside me in bed. The women were best friends and had been even before I had met them. Anyway, the girlfriend within reach, answered the phone and after a brief chit-chat with the girl in jail, I was given the phone. It was requested that I visit her attorney, one of the most prominent black lawyers in the city.

After freshening up, I called a taxi and at 8:30. one arrived to take me to the Government Plaza where the lawyer's office was located which was also the vicinity where the courthouse was situated as well. Fifteen minutes later, I was dropped off at my location. I tipped the cabbie, a brother, with a pair of silver dollar  before exiting the taxi to go around the back of the jail where the women were housed. Even though I could not see her due to the darkened windows, I foolishly waved my arms in the air because she could see me. This was my way of letting her know I was on the job. 

While acting silly, one of my dearest partners in the world popped up. I hadn't seen him in over ten since I had just gotten home from doing a decade in the feds for bank robberies. He asked me to accompany him to Traffic Court, and he, in turn, would go with me to see the lawyer for my woman. We went to Traffic Court where he paid a fine, got a receipt and we left. While crossing the street, I met two other friends that I knew and we chatted briefly before I headed to the lawyer' office. It was now 9:15 and that is the time slot I signed in at when I arrived in the office of the lawyer. Ten minutes later, I was summoned into the back and I spoke with the lawyer for twenty minutes or so, delivering the word for my people in jail.

That done, I left the office at 10;00. Across town, a robbery occurred at 9:30. I was arrested, convicted, and served 10 years and 42 days for the crime. I had never in my life ever been into the place. At trial, there was no physical evidence; no gun, no money, no fingerprints. Only the testimony of a white woman who said I robbed her. And that was all it took.

Bro Gibran

Biggie Smalls said:  DAYAMN...them peoples stuck you for your cream and it ain't a dream, things ain't always what they seem!

A number of things immediately stood out in your recount..........

-If you were in traffic court with your friend at a certain time BEFORE 9:15....depending on how far away it was from the crime you couldn't have possibly committed it.  They had cameras in court even back in 1983.

-If you went to see the lawyer AT 9:15 most likely both you and your friend were still there AT 9:30 or 9:45 according to your list of activities, did the lawyer act as a witness to confirm your alibi?

-Did your friend act as a witness to confirm your alibi since he was there with you for nearly or over an hour while all of this was taking place?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Bro Gibran

Biggie Smalls said:  DAYAMN...them peoples stuck you for your cream and it ain't a dream, things ain't always what they seem!

A number of things immediately stood out in your recount..........

-If you were in traffic court with your friend at a certain time BEFORE 9:15....depending on how far away it was from the crime you couldn't have possibly committed it.  They had cameras in court even back in 1983.

-If you went to see the lawyer AT 9:15 most likely both you and your friend were still there AT 9:30 or 9:45 according to your list of activities, did the lawyer act as a witness to confirm your alibi?

-Did your friend act as a witness to confirm your alibi since he was there with you for nearly or over an hour while all of this was taking place?

Yes, brother Pioneer. You could have been a lawyer, but yes, despite witnesses, the white woman's voice was what decided it. I have never thought of the camera because this Traffic Court, though 100 percent legit, was conducted in what appeared to be more of a classroom than a courtroom.  Yet, they should have had some surveillance. Thanks. I didn't provide the rest of the story because I was wondering what others would see, but man, yeah, that camera angle is worth investigating.  I will provide the investigatory part of the story later, and it will blow your mind. The woman said the robber was 5'9', weighed 200 pounds and had a beard. The day I stood in Court, I was 6'2", weighed 155 pounds and could not even grow hair on my face at the time.  Still got convicted. It was a conspiracy

Gibran

I actually wanted to be a lawyer back in my 20s.
I always liked debating and I love arguing as you probably can tell....lol.

But when I found out how much time you had to spend in school and how strenuous Law School was, I reconsidered...lol.

Yes sir, I would like to hear the rest of the story.