NAACP Warns about White Nationalist Groups Killing Black Men

The following message was shared with me on a Slack channel (really just a work related social media platform for "professionals") That I'm a member of:

white-racists-out-kill-us.jpg

I understand that this information was first shared months ago on social media and I believe it has since been widely discredited.  But how many people read this information and believed it?  How many people were unnecessarily scared and even modified their behavior as a result? How many people brought a gun? How much distrust of white people was generated -- increasing the level of divisiveness in our country?

Social media bombards us with misinformation. No one spends time on the NAACP's website reading what the NAACP actually writes; we consume our information on social media and are constantly being lied to.

Have any of you seen this before?  Did you believe it straight away? 

This message failed my "sniff test. I did not call the person out who posted this information the way I would have done here.  Someone else called explained this was fake news, but the person who posted it, rather than acknowledging that the information was fake reacted by saying all they wanted to do was keep us safe. No harm no foul right?

The person was not trying to spread misinformation or troll the channel (everyone's identity is known), they probably just wanted to warn us about the plans of white supremist groups.  However, the veracity of the information was of little concern. This information is alarming and the more alarming lies are the more likely they are to be read and shared.

We used to call this "gossiping." Gossiping with a neighbor over coffee is relatively innocuous, but social media has taken the morally dubious behavior, put it on steroids, and made it down right dangerous.

From the NAACP's website:

"The National NAACP has not released any such statement. While we take all matters of racial discrimination and racial hatred seriously, these statements are not from the NAACP.

These social media posts and press releases appear to be associated with a Huey P. Newton group, which has no affiliation to the NAACP.

All official NAACP statements can be found on our website at www.naacp.org or @naacp on official NAACP social media platforms."

Good luck, NAACP getting Black people to visit your website to read what you have to say.  That is what we have social media for 😉 

Lol, a site for professionals named "slack"????

Am I the only one who gets the irony of this?

Troy

I've read your entire post, including the NAACP's denial of this memo, however I must ask:  How do you know that memo was NOT correct?

In other words, how do you know that White Supremacist organizations HAVEN'T been snatching up AfroAmerican males and killing them?

Do you realize that hundreds if not thousands of people go "missing" every month and over the past year or two there's been an unprecedented (for this generation) number of Black males found hung from trees and have been killed in racially targeted attacks?

Perhaps the only "lie" about that memo was it's NAACP allegation.
And technically speaking that MAY not even be a lie itself (despite the NAACP's denial) because the memo didn't say IT was from the NAACP but simply makes a statement ABOUT the NAACP.
For all we know maybe the organization who DID put that memo out DID get information from the NAACP that the NAACP itself was reluctant to share with the public.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Am I the only one who gets the irony of this?

That is funny. I completely missed that. Given much of the activity on the platform it is aptly named 🙂  It may have been deliberate...

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

How do you know that memo was NOT correct?

Here we go!!! ROTFLMMFBAO!!! 😆

Man, you did a better job than the cat who posted this on "slacker."

The Slack Channel....

It sounds like a site with little or no sound that you can click on WHILE you're at work and not worry about being caught slacking...lol.

It was brought to my attention by an older brother who was a carpenter (among other things) some years ago that the term "professional" is usually used in reference to those with careers that require advanced academic education....but isn't usually applied to highly skilled individuals in blue collar professions like carpentry, electricians, police officers, nurses, ect...

Yes the word has that connotation, which is why I used it.  It would have been more descriptive for me to write office workers... you know people who spend most of their day working behind a screen versus fitting pipes, laying sheet rock, or arresting Black people.  

Anyone paid for what they do is a "professional."

Perhaps you're right, that may be a dictionary definition (haven't looked it up yet); but I look at a professional as one who is SKILLED at what they do as opposed to someone who just dabbles in something from time to time looking for some quick cash.

A PROFESSIONAL electrician....as opposed to a jack of all trades who hasn't mastered any of them.
A PROFESSIONAL security officer.....as opposed to some nicca with a stick standing outside your business looking mean.
A PROFESSIONAL real-estate agent...as oppose to someone who dabbles into it.
A PROFESSIONAL criminal...as opposed to some half-ass common crook.

A professional would be a step below "expert" in my opinion.

I have not looked it up either, but being paid for something  -- particularly if you are earning a living at it makes you a professional.  Otherwise you are an amateur. 

One's relative skill is not a factor, though you generally have to pretty skilled at something to be a professional at it.

Something interesting I found out were the traditional meanings of the terms "doctor" and "master" and how they've changed over the centuries.

I believe to be called a "master" you had to be a TEACHER.
And a "doctor" was an EXPERT at a particular field, which explained why so many people can have a Doctorate outside of the field of medicine.

The root of the word "professional" is PROFESSOR.

Perhaps the real "professional" is one who can actually TEACH the skill they have acquired.

Based upon that definition I'm a "professor" of web design having taught the subject, at the college level, for several years.   I earn a living as a full-stack web developer (skills required to create and maintain AALBC). I also refer to myself as a webmaster LOL! 

Webmaster

It's interesting that Wed Design is now an entire field of study and in some universities is an entire department.....but it didn't even exists 40 years ago.

10 years from now people are gonna be getting degrees in social media.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start classes on professional TROLLING and passing out BS's for those who've majored in Trolling...lol.

image.jpeg.e5a486a6149f9ea108db5726f8db84fc.jpeg

"Everyone deserves a 
decent education!"