A Message To All Black-Owned Bookstore Owners - 11/19/2020

As most of you know I maintain a list of Black-Owned bookstores, which I’ve recently updated. Your bookstore, , is on the list. If you click your store's name, or photo, you will be taken to a page dedicated to your store that provides more detailed information.

On the heels of George Floyd’s murder, this list went viral. Many people, most of them white, were extremely interested purchasing books on "antiracism" from Black-owned, bookstores. Some stores experienced a record level of sales as a result.

The email address I’m using to email you now, p******@e******.com, is from the information shared on AALBC’s list of stores. If you would like to add correct or add information simply email me the updates. If you discover I'm missing a store or one needs to be deleted let me know that too.

Why am I Sending this Email?

I believe stores that focus on Black books are an asset to any community they are in. I've visited most of your stores and actively promote them. The list above, which I've maintained for over 20 years is an example, but I've also covered events in your stores and of course purchased books.

I'll use this mailing list to share information with you that can benefit your store. If you have information to share you can send it to me, or I can simply send you the mailing list. It is not very long just 78 stores (US based indies only).

If you do not want to receive this email simply hit the unsubscribe button at the top, or bottom, of this email.

Driving Sales for Specific Books

What who happen if we decided use our collective influence to make a book a bestseller? Is it possible for us to raise the profile of a book such that the rest of the country has to take notice.

What about publishing our own bestsellers list? Many of us have titles that are selling extremely well, but are relatively obscure to the general public. There is an untapped market for these books. We need to be able determine which books are important and drive the conversation. Together we have more influence than we can possibly have individually. These are just some thoughts. What do you think?

Do You Know Linda Duggins?

We have true advocates for our stores, working in mainstream publishing. All of you should know Linda Duggins. If you've attended any of our Black Pack Parties you already know Linda. Linda has done a wide variety of things in the Black book world including co-founding the Harlem Book Fair, which is where we met back in 1999. I encourage you to get to know Linda; she may be reached at Linda.Duggins@hbgusa.com.

Linda, in her role as Senior Director of Publicity for the Grand Central Publishing (an imprint of Hachette), has given me the heads up on two Black writers with books coming out early next year, Naima Coster and Leesa Cross-Smith. One way Linda has been a resource for AALBC is by providing me with early notice about good books. She does not reach out to me with info on all her projects, so when she does reach out I pay attention.

Naima and Leesa will be having a conversation, on Tuesday, December 1, 2020 from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Here’s a link to the event on Crowdcast: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/zd77k807. Check it out if you can.

books

★ Bookstore Email #1 November 19, 2020