A question and questions and a question

Do you use FTP or IRC or Email, or other tool on the internet not http based?   

1. 1. Which made you most thoughtful?

• Z
    • #

Someone somewhere online said the following

"I don't read books, I'm too lazy for that tbh"

Now audio books exists and video exists which can provide information to a user, so I did not quote this person to suggest ignorance. But the quote made me think, as a writer. 

Question

Z)To the growing populace in humanity who do not read books and by extension, don't read much, are video learners, what is the financial opportunity for the writer?

Someone somewhere online said the following

"I always considered the holodeck to be the worst idea they came up with--an egregious mode of self-indulgence totally at odds with the advanced, enlightened civilization the Star Trek world was supposed to be.  The holodeck is something our spoiled, gratification-obsessed culture would come up with, not the forward-thinking citizens of the Federation."

It made me think about a set of questions. You are free to answer them yourself.

Questions each sub question is headed by a ->

5) -> From a technological perspective, the technology of the holodeck, which is a volumetric display, fits within the ability from the original series having laser beams with controlled energy+frequency qualities plus the transporter technology that disassembles plus reassembles matter or the food replicators that make food based on a prompt.

So are you saying, the holodeck was technologically possible in the original series while the culture of the federation in the original series opposed the purpose of the holodeck, thus no holodeck [barring special effects of the 1960s]?
-> Did you like on star trek discovery the lack of holodeck use or presence ?
-> On Deep Space Nine, the holosuite's were a part of the ferengi's bar. The ferengi are not the federation, so were the holosuites more comfortable for you as a technology of the ferengi, who profess on star trek to be unbounded fiscal capitalist who will sell gratification? Add that deep space nine is mostly non humans, albeit humanoids, so their own cultures will allow for holosuite use. Am I wrong?
-> As Star TRek has many different groups: federation/klingons/ and more, is the holodeck/holosuite acceptable on a space ship or space station that isn't of the federation while unacceptable on a federation space ship or space station? [deep space nine is a bajoran station that is formerly cardassian while used by the federation for bajor's process to join the federation officially]
-> If you can replace all the scenes of using the holodeck in next generation , what will you have the characters doing or will you merely delete the scenes? I may be wrong but most of the time the holodeck was used in next generation as a place for leisure fun.
-> last question, I recall in next generation, an episode where the holodeck is used to simulate a murder or some event. I think that is useful. The ability to recreate environments can be very useful to training, to reviewing a physical situation. In cases where I think the holodeck serves as a powerful tool, what will you replace it with as a writer in their writing room?

I was communicating side @Troy at the following post [   https://aalbc.com/tc/topic/10871-consider-for-google-docs/   ]and I said the following

The tragedy of the online populace in the usa is how the usa had control over how the internet grew and modified , heavily influencing others but in that influence was a false narrative of security or control in terms of user activity. But the usa federal government or billion dollar firms of the usa didn't want the potential complexity of the internet to happen while using the internet's complexity to maintain controls while they wanted to push for the web as a common  secure ground for all although the web by default goes against security with its much more user friendly design.

I recall reading an article saying the populace in the usa that are not online has grown. It isn't something the statistics people will make a big deal of but I do think it is interesting that enough are not online to be a community.

And I thought about the various protocols of communication used in the internet that are not http. And the following question came to my mind.

#) Does literature need its own protocol? I am not asking how it can be done but the function of it. 

@Troy

to the poll, i simply used the index valu before the question or set of questions

Z is a quesiton

%  is a set of questions

# is one question

ala the title of the post a squestion and questions and a question

I will not restate the questions but I will ask other ones that are related. 

Z' )  For those that do not read literature is the video game the best communication method to get them to read? 

5') What technology in a fiction do you think cheated the culture of the characters in said fiction?

#') Any ideas to how FTP or Email can become more used than HTTP? 

Z: this seems like a video game of beat an insufficient substitute for reading a book.

5: I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Although given the technology available to the characters in Star Trek, I have no idea why people still grow old and die.

#: these are very different protocols, created to do very different things. what function are you looking to address?

@Troy

Z: this seems like a video game of beat an insufficient substitute for reading a book.

for those that are not going to read books, what is the best substitute in your opinion?

#: these are very different protocols, created to do very different things. what function are you looking to address?

So ftp or email as protocols functions do not allow for them to be used as HTTP?

IN AMENDMENT

I want to retract my prior question

Is FTP or Email used more or less than HTTP and if either are can they be used moreso through some purpose? 

As websites wane in effectiveness, email will become more important again. However, AI threats both.

I think videos (not games) can be an effective substitute.  However, sources matter.

It is possible we will be see a world where much of what we consume is generated by AI from a handful of companies whose only motivation is increasing profits.

• Like 1