Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

African American Literature Book Club

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Freddie Jackson Passes at 69

Featured Replies

Freddie Jackson, fixture of 1980s R&B, dies at 69

August Brown/Los Angeles Times/TNS Oct 9, 2026

When I lived in Harlem I would see Freddie Jackson from time to time. Once, in a now defunct men's salon in my old neighborhood in Harlem. Freddie was in the chair next to me. I asked my barber, a sister, what was he having done to his hair? She he was having it dyed and asked if I wanted to try. I said, "Sure, why not?" Interestingly, not a single person noticed. Two years later I started shaving it all off.

May he rest in peace.

Freddie Jackson had a string of R&B hits in the 1980s. The brotha could definitely sang.

Freddie was among the R&B finest before New Jack Swing came along & reshaped the landscape of R&B music.

To this day, folks are still playing "You Are My Lady" or "Jam Tonght". RIP Mr. Freddie Jackson. 😎

May our dear brother rest in peace and power.

I still hear that smooth "you are my ladaaaaay".


For a little while there was a bit of a battle on Detroit radio stations between Freddie and Luther....lol.

To me, Freddie was more masculine.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.