CHAVIS CARTER KILLED BY WHITE POLICE.../

CNN NEWS LAST NIGHT, CHAVIS CARTER WAS ARRESTED BY WHITE POLICE..HE WAS WITH 2 WHITE MEN..THE WHITE POLICE LET THE WHITE MEN GO.PUT CHAVIS CARTER IN POLICE CAR HANDCUFFED..POLICE SEARCHED CHAVIS CARTER FOUND NO GUN..CHAVIS CARTER HANDCUFFED IN POLICE CAR,.CHAVIS CARTER FOUND DEAD IN POLICE CAR..ARKANSAS WHITE POLICE SAY CHAVIS CARTER COMMITTED SUICIDE.HOW//HE WAS HANDCUFFED,HE HAD NO GUN, HE WAS IN POLICE CAR HANDCUFFED HOW CAN HE SHOOT HIMSELF HANDCUFFED WITH NO GUN//WHITE POLICE KILLED CHAVIS CARTER NOW LYING ABOUT IT...LAST MONTH IN ARKANSAS..WHERE IS THE BLACK CHURCH,NAACP,AND BLACK POLITICIANS....WHITE POLICE KILLING BLACK MEN HAS INCREASED WITH THE ELECTION OF A BLACK PRESIDENT....LIKE THE GOVERNMENT,U.S. MILITARY NEO NAZI AND KU KLUX KLAN ARE IN THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS..BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP......

• Like 2

Oh wow I am going to get this book! I was just thinking that I needed to find something to read before school starts! As soon as you said not for the faint of heart I knew I was in. Thanks for the recommendation.

------

Welp, I just finished reading Cynique's review and I really can't wait to get the book now. Great review! And Cynique thanks for throwing in the tidbits about your parents and where you grew up. I found myself imagining what that would have been like, growing up in that time in a suburban-like little area for other black families. I bet it was nice. I like knowing that we had those areas. Up until this point whenever I thought of the Great Migration, everything I visualized was in the inner city.

• Like 1

Chicago's western suburbs all have a very rich history in regard to the Blacks in their midst, WriterGirl, a presence that dated back to the mid 1900s. Small clusters of black people led their separate lifes in these little towns and were tolerated by white residents - as long as they stayed in their place. Although their incomes were meager, these families all embodied middle-class values and nurtured hopes and dreams for the good life.

Before I was even born, a cousin of mine was sent north to live with my parents in the suburb where they settled, so he could attend the local high school which was a very prestigious one at the time. He graduated from this school in the class of 1926, one of 4 other blacks. Years later, I was told by one of his black classmates that because my cousin was so handsome and smart all of the white girls just adored him, and his teachers loved him. While attending college back in Nashville, he died at age 22 when he was injured in an automobile accident and treatment was delayed because a white hospital had to be found that would treat him...