The not so Black Hawks

Last Wednesday, Chicago Black Hawks won the NHL’s coveted Stanley Cup and Chicago went wild. White people were in a state of euphoria, the likes of which I had never witnessed. Black folks? Not so much.

On Friday a white horde descended upon the city as hockey enthusiasts from near and far showed up to witness the ticker tape parade paying tribute to the conquering heroes. And the attendance at the victory rally that followed was estimated to be over a million! Incredible.

This was an interesting phenomenon in that the silence emanating from the black community was as loud as the roar of the white-faced crowd clad in bright red jerseys,all caught up in a frenzy of adulation. But hockey just doesn’t seem to stir a lot of excitement among black folks, although no one begrudged Whites the joy they were experiencing over what could only be described as the emergence of their very own winning team. Forget the Bears and Bulls and their black super stars. Forget having to become allied with black fans. The Joe 6-packs and Soccer Moms in and around Chicago now had a sport they alone could cheer about, - one their kids could dream about breaking into. Go Hawks!

Ironic how athletics can not only unite people but also separate them. Yet, you never know. Like golf and tennis, hockey may one day see an influx of black players. Then the great white hope will be threatened and in Chicago the name Black Hawks will take on a new meaning. We shall see.

no one begrudged Whites the joy they were experiencing over what could only be described as the emergence of their very own winning team

I don't agree that the only way the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup win can be described is as the emergence of a totem for racists.

Are the black fans in that video self-haters?

We Black folks here in St. Louis felt the same way about Mark McGuire.

Turned out he was a steroid shooting SOB in the end.

don't agree that the only way the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup win can be described is as the emergence of a totem for racists.

(You wouldn';t--you're a rodent that wears a hat and a coat.

White folks love hockey cuz there ain't no Negroes, blacking it up.)

You read a lot into what I wrote, bookfan. I never said anything about racism or did I say that black folks completely ignored the festivities. Jocks of all color follow a winning team, and the Hawks did have a smattering of blacks fans, altho today there was a story going around about how on the float the mixed Black Hawk player was stuck in the back with the trainers.Ha-ha.