Come Sunday: A Brilliant film about Bishop Carlton Pearson

I learned about this film listening to a podcast of This American Life, who produced this film.  

This American Life podcast of Heretics: the story of Bishop Carlton Pearson

It tells the story of Bishop Carlton Pearson, a very successful preacher who began preaching that there is no Hell and the God loves everyone -- even if they are not "saved."   I enjoyed both the podcast and the film.

• Like 1

Well I haven't seen the movie yet but I've heard him speak on why he left or was kicked out.

Besides what you mentioned about him no longer believing hell exists, I've also heard that he stopped condemning homosexuality.

Perhaps Carlton himself may be homosexual and this has influenced his decision.
I always thought Carlton was kind of "sweet" anyway.....lol.

Although I don't agree with much of the religious dogmatism of the Church and don't think it's very healthy for society I'm leaning more with the Church than I am with Mr Pearson on this one.

Why?

Because despite it's condemnation of people and discrimination of homosexuals....the church is an INSTITUTION.
And how fair it is to go into an institution trying to change the institution and it's policies because you don't agree with them?

If you don't agree with what's happening in the institution then either DON'T GO into it in the first place.....or if you later change your mind....LEAVE that institution.

The  beliefs about homosexuality and hell have been established in Christianity for hundreds of years and if you're going to be a member and promote Christianity.....then you should promote the beliefs as they ARE...not how you like them to be.

It's like these different gay and lesbian groups insisting that their church perform same-sex marriages and accept them for who they are.

Ofcourse they should be accepted for who they are and they shouldn't be condemned to hell forever.
But my question is why insist on staying in an institution that hates you and condemns you in the first place?

Leave it and find one that DOES accept you....or start one of your own.

After I saw the film I looked for some videos of the actual man.  Yes it did occur to me upon initial inspection that he might be gay especially with the jherri curl, his strong rejection of homosexuality and waiting until he was 40 to get married.  Of course I was biased having seen the film and hearing him interviewed.

He was naive thinking the the Church, Pentecostals no less, would change their entire worldview because of him -- perhaps he was looking for away find acceptable for his true nature.... one he will never reveal.

It was a good film nonetheless.

Lol.....

I was introduced to him along with TD Jakes through a conservative Christian channel called TBN that my mother used to watch all the time.

The first time I saw him I didn't trust him.

Yes the funny jheri curl or s-curl or whatever the hell he had going on along with his "funny style" manner made him suspect...lol.

But he just seemed fake and "funny acting" as if he was putting on a big show.

It may sound weird, but it's hard for me to trust Black men who seemingly loose all bass in their voices and talk fast and "extra proper".

Kind of like the Black conservative pundit Larry Elder if you know who that is.