Black lives matter

Guest Queen melanin

15 hours ago, Guest Queen melanin said:

sing utilitarianism theory to justify your answer, respond to the question:

Is the Black Lives Matter organization moral?

It's not immoral in its pursuit of justice.  It is a movement using the political arena to protest how little value white society, especially those in law enforcement, place on the lives of black citizens.  Its legitimacy has been tainted by biased counter forces who seek to incorrectly portray its public demonstrations as violent mob action. Its white critics insist that BLM overlooks the idea that 'all lives matter'.  Cynics in the black community point out that since black lives don't matter, the movement would be better served by a different rallying cry.  Currently, this organization seems stalled by a lack of effective leadership. 

My question to you: why would someone calling herself "Queen melanin"  ask this irrelevant question? 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cynique said:

...this organization seems stalled by a lack of effective leadership.

@Cynique, why do you say the leadership is lacking?

I invested a lot of time and effort in promoting a book one of the cofounders published earlier this year.  When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Khan-Cullors and asha bandele.  The results were disappointing for a variety of reasons I wont go into now.

However, it seems like movements that are dependent upon the social media (or media in general) can never last very long, because once the algorithm changes and the media's attention inevitably moves on to the next shiny object, so called "movements" like  #BlackLivesMatter languishes -- think #ArabSpring, #OccupyWallSt, or #MeToo (whose days are surely numbered). 

‏Marching and tweeting don't accomplish much without working to change laws.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

why do you say the leadership is lacking?

Well, the movement wouldn't be dying if the leadership wasn't lacking in the skills and imagination to keep it from fading.  They should have been able to come up with other resources other than social media to keep it viable.   

@Cynique Why in your opinion do you think the movement is dying?  What is not happening that you expect to be happening? What are the indications that it is fading. 

I have own theories but I'm interested in yours. For example, from my vantage point there has not been a lot of media coverage of BLM lately, But they may still be grinding at a grassroots level, so I may not know what I'm talking about. I have never gotten a BLM email or mailing. Am I expected to follow them on Twiiter to know is happening?

Queen Melanin please consider creating an account, so that I do not have to manually approve your posts.

I looked up Utilitarianism, and with this definition (below) it is still difficult for me to answer your question. Would you rephrase the question in a way that does not require an understanding of utilitarianism theory?

Utilitarianism is a normative ethical theory that places the locus of right and wrong solely on the outcomes (consequences) of choosing one action/policy over other actions/policies. As such, it moves beyond the scope of one's own interests and takes into account the interests of others.

Guest Queen melanin

I have tried to make an account but it is not working. I guess it is like the pros and cons of the movement. Say if they were thinking about protesting. The pro would be creating awareness but a con maybe an increase in police brutality or something of that sort. I need to apply that concept to the movement itself.  

Queen, try again now.  I've greatly simplified the process.

Yeah, I don't really know enough about the BLM to really speak to it.  Like most things driven by social media it is more about young people and what they think trather than what more seasoned adults, like me, think or care about...

6 hours ago, Troy said:

Why in your opinion do you think the movement is dying?  What is not happening that you expect to be happening? What are the indications that it is fading. 

I don't think the movement is dying so much as i think it is stalled, just marching in place, bringing about few results.  For some reason, black leaders have not thrown their full support behind this organization, while Colin Kaepernick's solo crusade has captured the imagination and support of the black masses, stealing the thunder of  BLM. There also seems to be undercurrents in regard to this organization having been co-opted by opportunistic individuals with their own agendas.  

In Chicago, a sensational trial is currently taking place involving the killing of a 19-year-old black male by a white cop who fired 16 shots at the knife-carrying victim as he walked away from him.  Several black community groups are peacefully demonstrating outside the court house, but I'm not even sure whether BLM is among them; that's how invisible this group has become.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guest Queen melanin said:

explaining and applying utilitarianism to explain my decision about the morality of the organization.

Are you using the information from the website? Also have you reviewed interviews from the founders? That may help you craft your argument for the morality of the organization - Specifically , how an organization working against police brutality could lead to community policing - and more cooperation between residents and law enforcement.  This keeps police safe as well as black residents.  Back in the early 2000s there was an organization called weed & seed - it was an USDOJ office of justice programs - and black communities and police worked together... and million dollar funding made it possible.  So maybe there’s where morality can come into play - 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-a-catalyst-for-philanthropic-change_us_582234bae4b0102262411df7

• Like 1