One Night in Miami was Excellent

one-night-in-miami.jpgYesterday I was visiting a friend and I noticed a Black couple in a movie on his TV and asked him "what movie is that?"  He told me the name of the flick which I promptly forgot, because he also said it was on Amazon Prime.  I replied, "Well that is one movie I'm not watching, because Amazon is not getting a penny of my money."  Generously, the Brother offered me his login, so when I got back home I logged in to see what Prime had to offer.

The first thing that popped up was this brand new flick One Night in Miami, A fictionalized account of an evening that Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali), Sam Cooke, Jim Brown, and Malcolm X spent with each other after Clay defeated Sonny Liston for boxing's heavyweight title. It was one of the best films I've seen in a long time; an excellent character study that brilliantly showcased the struggles, triumphs, and often conflicting ideologies of these four legendary Brothers.

It humanized these young men brilliantly, providing an interesting perspectives on many things including the origin of Sam Cook's iconic song, A Change is Gonna Come; Ali's condemnation of Malcolm X for leaving the Nation of Islam; Jim Brown's views of activism versus economic empowerment; all in a world of overt and institutionalized white racism. The knowledge two of these men would be murdered within the year, made the story even more poignant.

This film also marks Regina King’s directorial debut.

I see the film is in theaters now.  I say "mask up" and check it out!

• Like 1

I heard it was good from others as well, might have to check it out.

I wish they would find more people who actually LOOKED like Malik (Malcolm) and not just snatch any skinny light-skinned Negro they find walking down the street, put some glasses on him, and call him "Malcolm X".

I talked to this one sister who complained that Jim Brown's ill-treatment of Black women and love of white women was not depicted in the film.  Jim and I attended the same university (Syracuse University) and I recall a rumor telling of Jim him actually throwing a woman out of a dorm window.  I don't know the extent of Jim's ill treatment of woman, but that would have been a interesting issue to address in the film, given the controversial issue discussed.  I have zero respect for buddies especially physically powerful men who abuse women....

At the beginning of the film there is a scene in which Jim is visiting with a white supporter in his home -- it that must have been true, for it was too outrageous and absurd to have been made up and added to the film purely for effect.

Google posted the video below while I was looking for a video of an author.  I watched it and I have to admit it is hard not to like Jim Brown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've told my daughter time and time again about am*zon. She pays for Prime so I checked the film out. I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. But Sam Cooke didn't look nothing like him. 

Still, scouring the pages I came across a film I've never heard of. Sylvie's Love. The trailer looked good so I dived in. Excellent stuff. 

• Like 1