Created Equal: Clarence Thomas In His Own Words Review and Analysis by Clarence Coggins III

Created Equal: Clarence Thomas In His Own Words

115 minutes

Cast and credits

Producers

Director

Writers

Description 

Although Clarence Thomas remains a controversial figure, few know him beyond his contentious confirmation battle. But beyond the headlines, Thomas' life is a classic American tale: born poor in the segregated South, only to become one of the most influential justices in the highest court in the land. Created Equal tells Thomas' life story truly and fully, without cover-ups or distortions.

Review and Analysis 

The first thing that struck me while watching this was that Clarence Thomas was a Geechee. “The Gullah Geechee people are the descendants of West and Central Africans who were enslaved and bought to the lower Atlantic states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia to work on the coastal rice, Sea Island cotton and indigo plantations.  Because their enslavement was on isolated coastal plantations, sea and barrier islands, they were able to retain many of their indigenous African traditions. These traditions are reflected in their foodways, arts and crafts, and spiritual traditions. They also created a new language, Gullah, a creole language spoken nowhere else in the world.” 

According to the National Park Service website https://www.nps.gov/places/gullah-geechee-cultural-heritage-corridor.htm

Although I feel it should be obvious that this would have been a startling revelation to me, I recognize it might not have the same impact on the watcher of the movie 🎥 or reader of this review. It’s importance was that it’s something one would think is inconsistent with being a conservative who has been reviled by many in the Black Community. It also makes one question the attacks on one who has come from this unique Black African American heritage could be the target of such an assault.

The imagery and cinematography is vivid, emotion provoking and captivating. As I watched the movie, I felt swept up in each stage of Associate Justice Thomas’s life. It was quite entertaining and enlightening.

The film is full of contrast and contradictions. It exposes the differences between urban and rural poverty. It shows the strong influence a positive male role model plays on molding the moral compass on a young man. I enjoy the bits of wisdom his grandfather shared.

I wish the film could have actually had the input of his first wife and son. I feel it may have added even greater depth to the story. I thought it was funny that his wife’s last name was Ambush.

The movie also gave great insight to how Justice Thomas felt during the Anita Hill portion of his confirmation hearing. I am glad it didn’t attack Ms Hill. I think that was a wise choice of the director.

This movie is an important work in helping unite the Black community. It helps to provide a bridge for us to embrace all our accomplishments regardless of political views.65668C00-728C-43DB-8588-81DB5A274084.jpeg.b57b8bb18eaf55bcbfaf57d4540afc41.jpeg

• Like 1