2 different Perspectives of President Obama

Just in case this post by Troy got buried in the debate thread I am making it a separate one

Two writers with two very different prespectives on President Barack

Obama; read what they have to say and vote on which opinion most closely

matches yours.

http://aalbc.it/obamaprocon

Please, right or wrong, different prespectives ? That was a race between a thoroughbred and a snake.

Shame on Troy Johnson for presenting Lewis's rhetoric as a valid argument that addressed the issue of "construtive criticism":

One opinion was nothing more than an attack on President Obama's character and a very disrespectful way of insulting his family. And an insult to the intelligence of all people of color.

I couldn't even finish Rufus's Rudolph's piece because the opening told me which way he was going. Look, when he opened with his negrofied version of an " Oedipus complex” I knew he was on some BS. I mean, I tried to finish it but it was filled with so many idotic assumptions, it became nothing more than a fool's errand to continue reading.

Listen, this man, Rudolph Lewis, wrote the following... "The Greeks warned us so long ago that hubris was a fault. They passed down to us kindly through the ages the character Oedipus as a poetic reminder. Here I do not propose to be Mr. Obama's analyst. I possess no talent and training for what is Oedipal and what is not Oedipal"

"I POSSESS NO TALENT AND NO TRAINING FOR WHAT IS OEDIPAL AND WHAT IS NOT OEDIPAL!!!" Really, as if his words didn't speak for him. But I wonder why he even mentioned that nonsense? But since he showed his hand, I knew this man must have thought he was talking to a room full of kindergarteners . You know, those that might be impressed by "big words" or quotes of mythical gods.

Look, hubris means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. It often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities. So what was Rudolph The Black Nose Reindeer carrying... what message was he delivering? It's awfully presumptious of Mr. Lewis to imply that those of us that accept President Obama's faults, are some kind of stupid brown blind mice. Uuuum, maybe, just maybe, the ol' hubris one - was thee I see?

And dare I explain Oedipus, the mythical Greek king of Thebes, who fulfilled a prophecy that said he would kill his father and marry his mother? Nope, after reading that mess, I believe Mr Lewis must think we're a house of special kind of fools. Consequently, he might come back and tell us his name is Henny Penny and inform us that sky is falling down. I wouldn't want that to happen because I am sure there are no Ducky luckies and Loosey Goosey's up in here. But wait a minute, that must be it! The ol' gray bearded Foxy Loxy Rudy Tooty, must have thought he was talking to a room full of gullible fools who he could lead down his funky den of inequity.

My god, I don't believe there is a truly "thinking" man or woman who could legitimately claim or believe the request to "watch the motive of others" regarding the public flogging of a President can compare to what some would call "hero worship".

In short, if Mr Lewis believes those of us who support Obama's mission and feel no need, nor purpose, to highlight all his "alledged" missteps, are some kind of closed mouthed groupies, he's obviously blinded by his own arrogance and a need to stroke his own ego.

Consequently, what misguided negro would say their opinion most closely

matched that of the runaway "mouth" fugitive?

rudyphoto.jpg

Wanted: Educated fool, Rudy. Approach with caution!

Seriously?!

I mean Troy, did you read Rudy's garbage? Surely you didn't really believe those 2 opinions should be displayed as competing points of view?

One was a scathing attack on the President (2200 words!), and the other was a light speech by a motivational speaker (1100 words), who I believe has a strong faith.

Now look at this.... "If truth be told, what Obama tried to escape was not the murder of his father and incest with his mother. The urge of the young Mr. Obama who finally ended up in law school was his middle-class attempt to escape ordinariness. He wanted to become special when his fate was to be an imitator of flawed but successful ordinary men accidentally raised to high places. Many of us mistakenly thought him a genius, a godlike creature, a view which he encouraged by making himself over in the religious consciousness of Negroes, namely, to proclaim himself a Joshua"

WTH? Truth?! Many of us mistakenly thought him a genius, a godlike creature?! First, Mr Rufus Rudolph should be slapped for insulting our intelligence, and Troy should get a swift kick in his ass for posting this propaganda.

And Mr Lewis continued to imply that all black folks are gullible fools, lead by an unrealistic optimism.

"But in African-American history the folks allow the existence of the arrival into the world countless approximations of the biblical prophet Moses"

Really Troy?! Really Rudy?!

And it gets uglier:

"Those kinds of individuals appear as well in African history. For instance, there was the successor to the Albanian Muhammad Ali, namely, Muhammad Ahmad, a Sudanese who was to fulfill his fate by way of a religious teacher, maybe in ways not too unlike a Jeremiah Wright. And Ahmad, though a rather ordinary fellow himself, remade himself imaginatively into the Mahdi and by historical chance became the father of modern Sudan, or Sudanese nationalism, by laying the foundation by which the colonized tribes finally expelled their Anglo-Egyptian oppressors. Ahmad lived a rather short life and probably hoped like all such leaders in a monarchial climate that he would be able to establish a family dynasty. Of course, religion is never really established on or in or as a rock and after his death from some disease or poison all that he left by inspiration was remade into something else that did little to advance Sudan toward righteousness or a more perfect nation"

Really Troy? But how low could he go....

"Maybe a similar messenger can be found in African American history, namely in the mulatto Nathaniel Turner, the prophet of Southampton. Turner was one of those ordinary persons who was saved from the fate of ordinariness by self-criticism, sexual piety, and self-sacrifice. Mr. Obama, I suspect now, never possessed Turner’s correcting traits. “Ole Nat Turner,” born old like Obama, was probably, though a murderer from necessity because of his religious beliefs (a modern-day Jesus)"

Shame on you Troy. Mr Rudy's whole piece was a shameful attack on religion and all people of color who support President Obama.

And you paid money for this?!!! SMDH

Blah, blah, blah. What you ran on and on and on about, Carey, could be summed up in a sentence. "Rudolph Lewis' opinion isn't aligned with mine, so he has no validity." Puleeze. You continue to chase your tail when it comes to debate. After admitting you didn't finish the piece, you lapse into your old ad hominen mode, launching personal attacks in an attempt to ridicule instead of rebut.

Furthermore, you have no appreciation for an exchange of ideas and the exploration of historical context or the impact of myth on society so you dismiss what you don't understand. You had an opportunity to state your opinion on this subject but you weren't equal to the task because you are enslaved to the idea that "if you don't have anything good to say about Obama, don't say anything at all." You're all about repression instead of expression and you are intellectually-challenged, believing that because you're ignorant anybody who talks above your head is a fool.

And the pitiful thing about you, Carey, is that you're an Uncle Tom and don't know it. The White Man completely controls your thought processes because you fear what he might think, naively believing that if negores keep quiet, ol Massa will not use their words against them. You under-estimate ol massa's ability attack without allies and that, in the big picture, truth is the winner.

You have invested so much of yourself in Obama that nothing you say in his defense can be taken that seriously because it's all about begging for sympathy. This is a new century, "Toby", and there are many shades of blackness. That's the way it is, so get used to it.

Look mom, up in the sky, it's a bird... it's a plane.... no, it's the black creature from the black lagoon of days gone by. She's risen from her deep slumber to support a negro gone wild, Rudy "Rufus" Lewis.

Although she berates those that pull back the smoke and mirrors of the uncover snakes, she feeds on those and champions those who talk with fork tongues. However, many don't take her seriously because she's an old school fool, and thus, has paid her dues to bite on the wrong ass. But she will continue to try to influence others by her evil ways of twisting and turning the words of others, because that's what the oldest of old people do. They will never admit that they're being bamboozled.

Yep, there are many shade of blackness, and some are called wanna-be something that they are not, Cynique. Move out of your own way and you might learn something. They say a mind is a terrible thang to waste and it's never too late to learn. Go for it.

OH, puleeze. You don't even know whether or not I agree with this man whose credentials put a lightweight like you to shame. But I welcome the discourse. Something you can't deal with because you don't want anybody to burst your balloon. Your mind is so rigid that it cracks when somebody rains on your parade, which is already soaked with your crocodile tears.

YOu got a lot of nerve chastising Troy for offering this forum for all points of view. His doing this offends you because your bladder explodes when somebody doesn't reinforce your bull shit. You're a disgusting numbskull who can't think past your big juicy snout. Oink Oink.

Let me check my list... ahh... let's see, here it is.... numbskull #92. Well Cynique, you're slippin'. You have to come up with more creative names.

But listen, when are you going to realize I have no intention of engaging in conversation whose sole purpose is to highlight Obama's alledged missteps. I've said that many times. If it serve no purpose other than entertain those that love to gossip and swim in negativity, I don't play those kind of games. So why oh why do you keep saying I should refute-rebuttle and/or debate every issue the naysayers lay on the table? When, and i I did that, I'd be playing right into the hands of another man's game. So, just like you feel it's important to critiques the errs of President Obama, I have the right to shine my light on those who I believe are hurting the cause. Let's just call it my form of critical analysis of the critic. And my style is different than yours, but you can't seem to come to grips with that. Instead, you've taken it upon yourself to analyze (wrongly I must say) my understanding of the porous opinions that frequently find there way in this type of discussion, and then speak for me. While doing so, you don't seem to understand that you're actually showing how much of a deep thinker.... you're not. Consequently, your presumptious attitude will always find you sucking hind tit.

carey your exalted opinion of yourself is laughable. The only extraordinary thing about you is your delusion that you are something other than a simple person with befuddled opinions and an inflated ego.

You fancy yourself an analysist. This is even more ludicrous. With your limited perspective and clouded perception you have no vision or wisdom or are you an original thinker.

Who you really need to analyse is yourself and explore why you have such a desperate need to shut everybody up instead of learning from what they say. Instead, you want to manage people and whip them in line, foist your opinions on them. As for Obama, you are an apologist. Knock yourself out. What you are not, is a spokesman who possesses authority or power.

Lastly, you are a liar. How have I spoken for you? Did I quote anything you said or twist your words? No, but that's how you attempt to deflect the truth about your tactic of defending yourself from what has not been done to you.

This biggest put-down I could utter and the worst name I could call you is: "carey."

Carey, last night I watched the Academy Award winning documentary film Inside Job.

If you watch it, I suspect it will put things into perspective for you and help you understand why Obama is really part of the problem. You don't get into the Whithouse without being controlled by the money that got you there. We have blinded ourselves with slavish devotion to Obama. The rhetoric for change, 1st black president, all that stuff is a smokescreen.

One would think the lavish support of Wall Street over the middle class, health care without a public option, Libya, Gitmo, and so forth would have made it plain that Obama is no different that a Bush, or Clinton.

The issue is not Black/White, Repubican/Democrat, Christian/Muslim, Northern/Southern, middle class/poor those are issues folks like us with no power or money squabble over while the folks with real control "stack mad paper".

Any benefit that we accrue as a result of an Obama (any man's presidency) is purely incidental. I would liken it to the benefit folks today enjoy as a result of America's actions including that institution called slavery.

Folks like Tavis, Dyson, West, Farakhan are trying to point out these problems -- it is not "hate" is is a cry for justice. Calling them and others who would listen to them "sell outs" ingnores the fact that we have a "Wall Street government".

It does not appear an Obama presidency with not "change" that, indeed it looks like it will support those structures even more.

"If you watch it, I suspect it will put things into perspective for you and help you understand why Obama is really part of the problem"

Excuse me, help "me" put things into perspective. If you're implying that I don't know what time it is, you're woefully mistaken. Listen, the structure of america and it's political system has always been about power and money. As far back as the evolution of the polical parties, it's always been about control, power and money. There's nothing new here. Democrates were not always called Democrats, and the Republican party has gone through several name changes , But s the most prevalent issue have always been the same, ie, money, power and control. The grand Civil War was not about freedom for the black man. At it's root was the issue of MONEY! So Troy, you're not telling me anything new and you certainly are not changing my perspective.

Anyway, since we all agree that there's a established power structure, it stands to reason that any Tom, Dick or Harry could be plugged into the solution (president) and little will change.

Now, let me see if I can change your perspective. "Folks like Tavis, Dyson, West, Farakhan are trying to point out these problems".... "we have a "Wall Street government". "folks like us with no power or money squabble over while the folks with real control "stack mad paper".

Troy, now it's time we all say AMEN! Now, if we believe the following is true, then i'll move to my basic point of contention. look.... "Any benefit that we accrue as a result of an Obama (any man's presidency) is purely incidental"

Troy, I know you know where I am going so I won't belabor the point, I'll just ask a few simple questions. First, my usual..... if not Obama than who? Second, considering all

the things we've mentioned, do you believe all the race centered scorn and ridicule, directed at President Obama is justified and/or necessary? Really, what part of the solutions calls for calling him a mulatto, or any of the other disrespectful names used to assasinate his character? More importantly, how productive is it to call those that do not wish to engage in that form of vile conversation.... hero worshippers, or any of the other names that have been used to imply we are simply following a man with a God like hold on our brains.?

Slavish devotees?! WTF?

Look, in short, pointing out problems is great, but the ways and mean of doing such (re: Obama), frequently has missed the mark. Although we've agreed that many matters are out of Obama's control, many use any nondescript problem (out of Obama's control) as a vehicle to vilify him. You have to agree that it's not always "contructive criticism". That's MY perspective.

And Troy, comments like the following should be addressed and cannot be supported. It's nothing more than foolish banter...

You said, "We have blinded ourselves with slavish devotion to Obama". First, who in the hell are "we" and please explain "slavish devotion"? See Troy, it's statements like that, that I believe should be called to the floor. Troy, it's terribly presumptious of you and possibly snooty of you to make such statements. Surely you can see (as I pointed out) that using Obama to voice all your concerns does not play to everyone's ear. Frequently it's heard as negros talking shit and moving their own selfish agenda.

Considering my above comment, here's what I am suggesting. First, it's unreasonable to believe that all the conversations and scorn directed at President Obama is justified and comes from individuals that have all POC's and President Obama in their best interest. And, much of that "discourse" is spoken from those that have ulterior motives behind their opinions. That's true and cannot be denied. So I am suggesting the following should be considered.

I heard a bunch of negros being played like black pawns. So, Obama did what? Nigga please, where do you get your news? From what I am hearing, you got your misguided opinions from another negro. And you didn't look very deep. And then you all joined hands.

Yelp, another case of monkey see, monkey see doo-doo. If all they (sing along chorus) heard be true (WHICH I DOUBT), my question is, why are they playing in that mess?

Try this at home. When you find yourself in a conversation with another person, start talking negatively about someone of something, and then notice what the other person does. You guessed it, 90% OF THE TIME THEY WILL FOLLOW SUIT, because people usually give us what they are given. It's simple human behavior (unfortunately) to be part of "a common opinion", if only for that moment in time. It's easier to be "agreeable".

Really, try this at home. Give someone a smile, and in most cases, I bet you get one back. Even a stranger will return a smile. On the flip-side, mean-mug someone and I bet you do not receive a smile. That's just simple human behavior.

I am suggesting that one dirty face takes away 10 "atta-boys". And again, there are more followers than there are leaders. More importantly, the risk is always a given - negative attracts negative. No value, no reward.

Skepticism and mistrust should led a person to always look up the information or theories people present. It's basically the development of the scientific mindset... And, "A good scientist is observant and notices thing in the world around him/herself. (S)he sees, hears, or in some other way notices what’s going on in the world and becomes curious about what’s happening".

By doing a deep investigation of the motives and opinions of others, a person can actually come to a qualified conclusion.

The problem is MOST people will watch one documentary, believe everything, and stop there. They might take action, but when they actually try to explain to someone else why they are taking action, they realize they don't even know why they are taking action. They give up because they still only have the band-aid of knowledge. That is the problem that lies behind someone getting their information from the wrong source. That's the problem! They got it from a source, instead of exploring all there is on the topic from all sides. If they do that, then they come to their OWN conclusions based on all the information they've seen and can actually BELIEVE in it and defend their beliefs.

So, I've been reading some of the limber mouth rhetoric of some of our black naysay negro brothers and sisters. They've been ranting that Obama did this and that, much of which had nothing to do with his power to conrol the situation and had nothing to do with his skin color. Now mind you, little or nothing of what they are saying is rooted in any facts, but nevertheless, they are quick to point a glaring stare at Mr Obama. I am asking those misguided bobbin head Uncle Toms and Tomettes to tell me where they are getting their information and how much of it do they believe to be true. Because if it's not fact based and not voiced to persuade other to dance on Obama's head, then they need to check themselves.

If this shoe does not fit don't wear it. But negroes please, if this shoe does fit, why don't you sit down a while before you speak. Don't be so prone to jump on a bandwagon before you know where it's going, and why it's going in that direction. Get your own map, and map your own direction. Then you'll be standing on facts instead of porous opinions, or some sh*t you heard on CNN or Fox news.

Fools go where wise men tread not. But if you like swimming in popular opinion and getting screwed along the way, keep your head down, and your back bent. Somebody will come along with a smile and give you what you want. Then you can drop to your knees and sing the old niggerette spiritual, "Free at last, free at last, great googlemoogle, I got it up my A$$".

Some negros love to drink a little wine and talk on the tele-negro-phone. Monkey see, monkey do the doo-doo.

Monkey-Cell-Phone-23287.jpg

What would we do if we didn't have carey to tell us that nobody is in the know but him. He, alone, has a hotline to the truth and no other possibilities except the ones he ascribed to should be examined or considered because all erudite Blacks are "uncle toms" who are being brainwashed, something he's too smart to have happen to him. He is not a reasonable man.

Carey keeps asking if not, Obama, then who? It appears that if carey had his way, it would be him because he thinks he's omniscient. If he could find enough fools to follow him, he would aspire to to be a black messiah/dictator, turning his followers into robots.

When it comes to this forum, however, a better role for carey would be the class clown, somebody who in lieu of intelligence resorts to school boy taunts and cyber graffiti.

An example of how skewed carey's perspective is, is how he keeps grumbling about scorn being heaped upon Obama. What does anybody ever say about Obama except that he is a victim of circumstances over which he has no control. This is not scorn it's commentary, not unlacking in empathy. No body makes personal attacks on him or denies that he is articulate and smart.

Engaging in an adult discussion is not about cloaking your responses in petulance and pettiness. It's about gleaning what you can learn from other people's ideas. IMO.

"Engaging in an adult discussion is not about cloaking your responses in petulance and pettiness."

OH MY GOD!, Cynique backed into a bit of wisdom. Now, lets she if she can practice her new found wisdom, as it relates to President Obama.

Thank you, my work is done.

Nothing "petty or petulant" about saying that Obama is "articulate and smart"; something I've always acknowledged.

So how about you "gleaning what you can learn from other people's ideas." - the part of my "wisdom" which you omitted in quoting me.

Regarding "Oedipus and Ordinariness: A Meditation on Barack Obama" by Rudolph Lewis.

I suppose we, the nation, will get a clearer sense of Mr. Obama between now and November 2012. Much more so than what we thought we knew and understood before November 2008.

What exactly was it that "we thought we knew and understood before November 2008"? Based on what sources?

Or at least what we refused to acknowledge, that is, excessive racial pride can blind one to the truth of things.

"We" have refused to acknowledge that racial pride can manifest as myopia? Which we? The nation nor any racial subset are monolithic. Furthermore, how is it that the myopia relates to how "we" misunderstood our President? Incidentally, "excessive racial pride" is redundant.

Many of us expected wrongly that Mr. Obama would change the context in which we in our efforts strive to make a more perfect union.

If the Preamble to the United States Constitution is being referred to, well, our less-than-perfect union is centuries in the making. President Obama has had 2 years in office so far, which is less than 1% of the elapsed time since the Constitution was adopted.

That was hope beyond reason, possibly. ... That is, to hope beyond reason. To state the matter in the context of folk knowledge, to hope beyond one's own fate is folly.

Indeed, hope, like faith, is somewhat based on insufficient or yet unproven information. And yes, it would be both folly and "beyond reason" to hope/expect wrongly.

... Many of us mistakenly thought him a genius, a godlike creature, a view which he encouraged by making himself over in the religious consciousness of Negroes, namely, to proclaim himself a Joshua, to the well-agreed upon characterization of Martin King as Moses, the Deliverer.

Genius, maybe. God-like, no.

... But in African-American history the folks allow the existence of the arrival into the world countless approximations of the biblical prophet Moses.

And whose fault is that?

... “Ole Nat Turner,” born old like Obama, was probably, though a murderer from necessity because of his religious beliefs (a modern-day Jesus), was much closer to being a disciple and saint than our present-day Joshua could ever approach. Why? Turner grew gradually and with much introspection to the view that he could only become truly a man by changing the context in which he lived.

Who has attempted to elevate President Obama to sainthood? Is it not presumptuous to ascertain that President Obama has not changed the "context in which he lived"?

But to change the context in which one lives, rather than changing one's self, is to be a revolutionary. That aspect of American character never really dawned on Mr. Obama to the point he found it an attractive career to pursue. Mr. Obama was born to be ordinary, not to change the context of his life, but to learn how to live within the context in which he was born, the context he deemed truly American. That is, Mr. Obama discovered that to be exceptional within limits, within the context of the given, is no small matter to be snubbed.

The above portion ascribes motives and the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Yet Mr. Obama concluded after organizing within Chicago’s black Protestant communities that fanciful acts of orating could, if dressed in clothes and terms of middle-class respectability, as it had for others, bring wealth, power and even more powerful allies. In these career choice meanderings, Mr. Obama has accomplished his goals and accomplished them exceedingly, and probably fortunately for family, friends and associates in the Democratic Party and Corporate America far, very far beyond his youthful fertile imagination.

"Fanciful acts of orating", "dressed in clothes", "career choice meanderings", and "youthful fertile imagination". These phrases clearly reveal animus.

... Now what? Well, we really don't know. Surely, I don't have Jim Jordan’s visionary ball into which I can peer and see both past and future. But I know for certain that the next eighteen months will make him or break him.

You don't say!. How enlightening.

Breathebooks,

If I had your hand I'd throw mine away. You dissected Rudy's piece with the brilliance of a skilled surgeon. I knew someone saw through that purple prose.

Oh how I love this.... "These phrases clearly reveal animus", and this... " Who has attempted to elevate President Obama to sainthood? Is it not presumptous to ascertain that President Obama has not changed the "context in which he lived"?".... and espeacially this...

"We" have refused to acknowledge that racial pride can manifest as myopia? Which we? The nation nor any racial subset are monolithic. Furthermore, how is it that the myopia relates to how "we" misunderstood our President? Incidentally, "excessive racial pride" is redundant

Just in case this post by Troy got buried in the debate thread I am making it a separate one

Two writers with two very different prespectives on President Barack Obama; read what they have to say and vote on which opinion most closely matches yours.

http://aalbc.it/obamaprocon

"President Obama: More Than Meets the Eyes" by Vanessa Davis Griggs closer aligns with my sentiments.

• 2 weeks later...

Michele Bachmann is awaiting an annointing - “a special anointing on how to put our team together.”

Diddy On Obama: Calls Out President, Asks To 'Do Better' For Black People.

"I love the president like most of us. I just want the president to do better. There's a difference between us voting for somebody and us believing in somebody. He's the person that we believed in so I pray night and day that he understands how God ordained his presidency. I feel there was a promise made to God to look after people that was less fortunate, and [many] of those people are African-American..."

Similar expectations abound.