The Covenant with Black America
by Tavis Smiley
- A Top 10 Book in the “Nonfiction Books from the 21st Century” Category
- 6 Time AALBC.com Bestselling Book!
- Selected for 1 Book Club’s Reading List
Publication Date: Feb 22, 2006
List Price: Unavailable
Format: Paperback, 254 pages
Imprint: Third World Press
Publisher: Third World Press
Parent Company: Third World Press
Borrow from Library
Six years' worth of symposiums come together in this rich collection of essays that plot a course for African Americans, explaining how individuals and households can make changes that will immediately improve their circumstances in areas ranging from health and education to crime reduction and financial well-being. Addressing these pressing concerns are contributors Dr. David Satcher, former U.S. surgeon general; Wade Henderson, executive director of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights; Angela Glover Blackwell, founder of the research think tank PolicyLink; and Cornell West, professor of Religion at Princeton University. Each chapter outlines one key issue and provides a list of resources, suggestions for action, and a checklist for what concerned citizens can do to keep their communities progressing socially, politically, and economically. Though the African American community faces devastating social disparities--in which more than 8 million people live in poverty--this celebration of possibility, hope, and strength will help leaders and citizens keep Black America moving forward.
See the update, The Covenant with Black America - Ten Years Later
- Political Science / Political Freedom
- Political Science / Political Process / General
- Political Science / Political Process / Political Advocacy
- Social Science / Ethnic Studies / African American Studies
- Social Science / Minority Studies
Tell us what do you think about The Covenant with Black America.