Everything posted by richardmurray
-
Story Collections
Jornal Afronta - a new newspaper catering to the Black community in Minais Gerais Brasil- created from Etiene Martins I paraphrase the article: “Releasing Jornal Afronta is for me the realization of a dream. Many ask me, but why a black newspaper for blacks? And I answer, why does no one ask this question when they sees a newspaper made by whites for whites? Since we blacks are in ‘fashion’, as they say, we should gain prominence on the covers of newspapers and magazines, but it is for our deeds and achievements and not as criminals, imprisoned, killed or on the run,” Etienne emphasizes. ... The Black Women’s March, held in downtown Belo Horizonte on May 13, with 500 women from 65 Minas Gerais cities, is the cover story of the first issue of Jornal Afronta. Coverage of the event by the Minas Gerais press disappointed Etienne Martins; She said: “Some newspapers covered it and took lots of pictures, but the next day, when I picked up the O Tempo newspaper to check it out, there was a line on the cover about the subject, but the photo chosen was of two white women. For me it was the last straw and I found that it was necessary to launch a Minas newspaper to give appropriate visibility to black people,” Read more including an interview involving Jornal Afronta Publisher Etiene Martins. Article Link http://blackwomenofbrazil.co/2015/07/22/for-us-by-us-afronta-new-newspaper-in-minas-gerais-brings-black-faces-and-culture-to-media-outlets/ Afronta( http://www.afronta.org/ ) The organization helping to organize Jornal Afronta Note: they operate as the liason to Jornal Afronta through their contact facebook twitter Raca Brasil - Note: It is owned from Universo Online , UOL is owned from Grupo Folha, primarily owned from the Frias family. Sequentially, Raca Brasil is not a Black owned magazine. http://racabrasil.uol.com.br/ Release Party to Jornal Afronta
-
Story Collections
Fashion with identity of designer Mônica Anjos, seated above Her work is worn on the musician Fabiana Cozza http://www.fabianacozza.com.br/ Monica Anjos information Shop Name: Loja Mônica Anjos Shop Address: Travessa Bartholomeu de Gusmão, 52 – Praia da Paciência – Rio Vermelho – Salvador, Bahia Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/estilistamonicaanjos The model in her work is Aline Andrade(if you know her online presence please inform). For views from the designer, go to the article link Article link http://blackwomenofbrazil.co/2015/07/23/fashion-with-identity-of-designer-monica-anjos/ Aline Andrade
-
Story Collections
Tropical Tunic Collection from Fly Tie I quote Fly Tie : Admittedly, it hasn't been easy--or maybe the better word is convenient-- to pursue design/sewing activities in the last year given all that comes with having a baby as well as living in a space that doesn't necessarily lend itself to doing much of anything other than relaxing, playing, and preparing/eating good food. Last month though, I was inspired by some of the beautiful views that we witness on a day-to-day basis living right on the ocean on the west side of this island.(read the remainder in the article, if you want to buy go to the Etsy) Article Link http://flytieonline.blogspot.com/2015/07/tropical-tunic-collection.html Etsy shop link https://www.etsy.com/listing/239204521/flytie-clothing-square-neck-tropical?ref=shop_home_active_1
-
Story Collections
TEASER Rain from Maya Glick is a film kickstarted successfully, akin to Whoppie Goldberg's Moms Mably documentary I know Black Panther is having a hollywood financially backed film in the works? Can Iron First, Cleopatra Jones, or a Milestone comic [rest in peace dwayne mcduffie] get a similar kickstarted film made? Maybe Nollywood even? What character will you like a movie to, gardless genre[romance, fantasy, crime]? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rainfilm/rain-a-fan-film-about-storm
-
Story Collections
I will share the plea from a Librarian My students need your help! I want to make sure my students have the materials they need to succeed. So I've created a classroom project request at DonorsChoose.org, an award-winning charity. I'm asking for donations of any size to help my kids.If you know anyone who is passionate about education, please pass this along. Your donation will brighten my students' school year, and you'll get photos and thank yous from our class. Here's my classroom request: http://www.donorschoose.org/project/please-save-our-library/ My students and I greatly appreciate your support. Ms. Murray