Pro-Palestinian Protests at Columbia University

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/us/nypd-disperses-pro-palestinian-protest-columbia-university/index.html

Hundreds of students at Columbia University are protesting the war in Gaza which they have a right to do.

Yet,  NYPD has been called today. The police have shown up up in riot gear and with buses ready to arrest the protestors.

Israel is milking the October 7th Hamas attack against them. They are using that attack as justification to destroy Palestinians and claim Gaza. 

Apparently, Jews also have enough power to override free speech in the US. Terrorism laws are being used to arrest protestors supporting Israeli opposition. 

The US is already spending billions of dollars in taxpayer money to finance these conflicts around the world.

Right now, a $95 billion dollar package providing additional funds and weapons to Israel and Ukraine and Indo-Pacific support is making its way through Congress. POTUS is ready to sign it on arrival.

I'm glad most AfroAmericans remain neutral in these conflicts. Not our fight or issue.  However, we should be taking notes. Intel could be used as receipts in the future. 😎

Yes. Always lingering in my thoughts when exposed to the intensity of Palestenian partisans excoriating those who don't support their cause, is that none of this would be happening if Palestinian terrorists hadn't disturbed that Israeli hornet's nest!

In addition to all the many other  things in this world that pet my peeve, are people who call themselves "woke". 

(And, keep all remarks about petting my peeve to yourself) 🤨

Politicians and pundits are showing their Pro-Israel support from funding to showing up on campus to stand with the Jews.

Of course, these same folks are calling for the university president to be fired for failure to control the campusc e.g. shutdown protest. 

Since 1948, Israel has been a US protectorate in the Middle East. The Jews playbook could be a case study in nation building.😎

On cue and in the wake of protests sweeping across college campuses, the US government is looking to bolster H.R.6090 - Antisemitism Awareness Act of 2023.  

This legislation was introduced shortly after the October 7th attack on Israel.  It is being expanded to infringe on freedom of speech when it comes to Jews.

When they actually feel like working, Congress can quickly create bills with bipartisan support and pass them too.😎

On 4/18/2024 at 8:55 PM, ProfD said:

They are using that attack as justification to destroy Palestinians and claim Gaza.

honestly, I’m really not paying that much attention however, I was not aware that Israel was trying to claim Gaza.

I walked by the campus recently. It was locked down. People had to show IDs to enter the grounds where normally is completely open to the public. The sign said that was due to an event…

@ProfD similarly the house in the Senate quickly garnered by partisan support to ban TikTok or at least get China to sell it. some argue that this too is a free speech issue.

Speech has never been free or protected by the government that has always been a pretense. if they don’t like what you’re saying, they figure out how to shut you down. Let some young black man try mouthing off to white trooper here in the south. Let’s see how far free speech gets them. All the recent book banning should tell you something about hire we feel about free speech.

Whatever the government is doing their motivation, I’m sure, is to protect interests the ultra-rich both abroad and domestically. 

9 minutes ago, Troy said:

honestly, I’m really not paying that much attention however, I was not aware that Israel was trying to claim Gaza.

In the US, they use gentrification to displace folks.  Other parts of the world seem to be less subtle about it.😁

Speech has never been free or protected by the government that has always been a pretense. if they don’t like what you’re saying, they figure out how to shut you down. Let some young black man try mouthing off to white trooper here in the south. Let’s see how far free speech gets them. All the recent book banning should tell you something about hire we feel about free speech.

Right.  It always depends on who is talking. 

They place gag orders on former POTUS Orange Julius and threaten him with contempt of court.  He still holds press conferences and talks anyway.  No punishment.

Whatever the government is doing their motivation, I’m sure, is to protect interests the ultra-rich both abroad and domestically. 

Right.  Watch their hands.  Follow the money.😎

These protests are apparently inspired by  the college student  demonstrations of the 1960s. But, to me, they somehow  have a false ring to them.  Some participants  are too overwrought,  taking themselves too seriously, actually believing they will win people over by blocking traffic and parading around with signs while injecting the unrelated  issue of free speech into their action in order to ennoble themselves. White kids finding a cause to embrace that will  make them feel good about themselves.  Glad black students have refrained from joining in.

It is a tragic situation, taking a toll on  innocent lives but there are no good guys in the equation; Just fanaticism gone amok, -  reeking with religious overtones. 

7 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

These protests are apparently inspired by  the college student  demonstrations of the 1960s. But, to me, they somehow  have a false ring to them. 

Some folks believe these protests are staged.  Interesting to sit back and watch how it unfolds and their reaction to it.

Surely, there will be no tear gas, rubber bullets and batons going upside heads.

A few more college presidents might be scapegoats and lose their jobs similar to Dr. Gay at Harvard.😎

In a few days it will be the 54th anniversary of the Kent State massacre. 

image.png

While I can't speak for the motivations of the individual protestors, considering the number of Black boys killed in the Vietnam "conflict," these protests disproportionately benefited us. 

@ProfD, I don't know if the protests are staged.  That is a cynical, but understandable, perspective.   @aka Contrarian, It could be that the information you've consumed regarding the protests are biased in such a way to lead to a "false ring" feeling. It could also be that these protests are unsustainable, when the semester ends the kids will go home. sort of the way the Black Lives Matter protests when home after the end of the pandemic...

I don't think the protests are staged and I think the participants are, largely, sincere in their protests.

27 minutes ago, Troy said:

I don't think the protests are staged and I think the participants are, largely, sincere in their protests.

i don't know whether or not the protests are staged. 

Tying back to another thread, I don't imagine the protestors have to work anywhere.🤣

I wonder if a file is being kept on the protestors to prevent future employment. 😎

The protests have gotten more rowdy in a few spots.

Police have have to put on their riot gear and knock down a few encampments and arrest some folks. 

The craziest part is that in a few weeks college students will go home for summer break. 

Summer school students shouldn't have time or money to waste, er, protest. They've got a GPA to protect.😎