• tipsyturv changed the title to My friend calls themselves "dark skinned" ...
18 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Person of color or non-white would accomplish the same thing with no confusion.😎

I thought I was going crazy or maybe wrong about how I feel. Looking at their pic...would you consider this person a "dark skinned Black person" ?

Maybe I'm tripping.

12 minutes ago, tipsyturv said:

Looking at their pic...would you consider this person a "dark skinned Black person" ?

H8ll to the naw.  Dark-skin comes in different hues but that person is totally misleading with that description. 😁😎

• Like 1

Hummm. "mixed" is not the word that comes to my mind when looking at that picture.  Nor would I call Kelly Rowland "dark-skinned". Descendents of slaves are all mixed and they come in many shades ranging from high yellow to deep brown. Facial features and hair texture are also traits that figure into the equation. None of this, however, matters to white folks who have an affinity for the word "nigger".

Typically, "Afro-Americans" tend to use their own skin color as the criteria when categorizing others of their race.  This is a very subjective measuring stick and varies from person to person. So it's all about opinion.

Dating back to the time in the mid 1960s, thanks to Malcolm X, the term "negro" was replaced by the title "black" which  previously carried a stigma. This was when the concept of blackness being "a state of mind" was introduced.  

I'm not sure what the current mind set is...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aka Contrarian said:

Hummm. "mixed" is not the word that comes to my mind when looking at that picture.  Nor would I call Kelly Rowland "dark-skinned". Descendents of slaves are all mixed and they come in many shades ranging from high yellow to deep brown. Facial features and hair texture are also traits that figure into the equation. None of this, however, matters to white folks who have an affinity for the word "nigger".

Typically, "Afro-Americans" tend to use their own skin color as the criteria when categorizing others of their race.  This is a very subjective measuring stick and varies from person to person. So it's all about opinion.

Dating back to the time in the mid 1960s, thanks to Malcolm X, the term "negro" was replaced by the title "black" which  previously carried a stigma. This was when the concept of blackness being "a state of mind" was introduced.  

I'm not sure what the current mind set is...

Question: would you consider the person "dark skinned Black person" as they describe themselves?

also, great post overall - thnx!

A woman darker than I called me light skinned, I was I taken aback, as I never considered myself light skinned. But from her perspective I guess I was,

@tipsyturv whether one is considered light or dark skinned is in the eye of the beholder. In my book the person the photo is not dark skinned.

@tipsyturvSeems like you've decided that the darker the skin tone of African Americans is,  the worse they are treated by society, and you feel no kinship with anyone who has less melanin than you. 

I'd submit that white society is not that concerned about how light or dark skin is when it comes to racism. Maybe your friend's empathy is just a symbolic gesture.  And perhaps  you are being overly sensitive.

Ironically, colorism still exists within the black race, - and you are proof of it. 😜

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

colorism

amazingly it does still exist in 2024.  

when I was a kid the “high-yellow” people were just considered prettier stuck up, worse in bed, softer, smarter, etc, the dark skinned people were uglier ( you could be good looking for a dark skinned person), dumber, stronger, criminally oriented, better in bed, more ghetto etc.

i think white people view us in the same way on some  level. When I was in grade school they tracked us the class with the worst students were all dark skinned boys. I don’t think it was a coincidence , it was prejudice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy said:

i think white people view us in the same way on some  level.

Right. On some level they do but in the grand scheme, when it comes to Black people, regardless of hue or ethnicity, we're all the same.😎