Sign in to follow this  
Delano

Knowledge as a belief system.

Hey, LiLi.  Where you been, girlfriend?  Welcome back.  Jump right into this whirlpool conversation.

Delano, as for you making a distinction between thinking and observing, to me, your decision to do this involves thinking. And even as you're watching,  your mind is processing what your eyes are seeing, either forming an opinion, or deciding that what you are looking at doesn't interest you. What is your definition of "thinking"?

It has occurred to me that a lot of what I ponder has already been dissected  and incorporated into philosophies like Existenalism.   Also I always heard so much about Henry David Thoreau's classic work Walden Pond but I  have never checked out this book which I think deals with many aspects of what we are discussing.  So I'm going to look into it. 

• Like 1

The only time I don't think about what I am watching or participating in, Delano, is when something strikes me as funny, causing me to spontaneously break out in laughter. As far as I am concerned, laughter really is good medicine and becoming amused by someone or something that is supposed to be serious, really cracks me up! :lol: I do a lot of laughing at myself, but I think about what it is that's tickling me 

I do chant regularly but while I'm chanting, I am visualizing what it is I want to energize. 

The disadvantages of overthinking is that it can stifle your creativity because it keeps you from getting in the flow of something.  I attribute one of the regrets of my life to being too involved with deconstructing rather than just becoming one with a musical instrument and letting it play me...  Which is why I admire taented musicians so much; especially naturally gifted ones who don't read music.  This is also why I love to sing, because it requires no effort on my part.

On 9/17/2013 at 6:01 AM, Troy said:

Del for the most part in our daily lives there is objective reality.  2 + 2 will always equal 4. 

On 9/16/2013 at 10:37 AM, Delano said:

am fascinated that beliefs override knowledge. Perhaps it is not possible to be truly objective.

How does square with discerning the difference between perception vs reality. 

Does one 6-month pregnant woman plus another 6-month pregnant woman equal 4 persons?   😮

15 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Does one 6-month pregnant woman plus another 6-month pregnant woman equal 4 persons?   😮

No I don't think so, but I'll get back to this later.

6 hours ago, Delano said:

Two persons but four people

@DelFetuses are not considered people but they are legally recognized in certain cases as persons after the first trimester of a pregnancy. And, like Troy says, Catholics specifically and many other religious folks believe life begins at conception; others don't.