SHOULD MARIJUANA BE LEGALIZED.

AFRICAN AMERICAN  NEUROSCIENTIST   DR. CARL   HART   WHO  USED   CANNABIS    SEEMS  TO    WANT  TO  LEGALIZE   MARIJUANA,THAT   HOW  HE SOUNDS..... DR.  HART  IS   A   PROFESSOR AND AUTHOR//THERE   IS  A  MARIJUANA   INCREASE   IN   BLACK  TEENS////BLACK   MARIJUANA  USERS   ARE  ARRESTED  MORE  THAN WHITE  USERS  AND   SPEND  MORE  TIME   BEHIND  BARS   FOR  BEING  CAUGHT  WITH  MARIJUANA  THAN   WHITES  WITH  MARIJUANA.......WOULD  MARIJUANA   LEGAL  DECREASE  THE  MEXICAN DRUG  CARTEL/NO//WOULD LEGALIZED  MARIJUANA  HAVE  CORPORATIONS  OVER  THE  MARIJUANA/.WHAT  WOULD  BE  THE  ECONOMIC   IMPACT   ,CRIME  IMPACT///WOULD THERE  BE  BLACK   MARIJUANA  DRUG   GANGS   LIKE  THERE  ARE  COCAINE   DRUG  GANGS IN  BLACK COMMUNITIES//DO NOT  USED  DRUGS, NEVER  HAVE,  I  SAY  NO  TO  LEGALIZING  MARIJUANA./////

Yes
More so than for legal purposes, I think it should be properly regulated and standardized so that you know what you're getting in the drug.

I personally think "trees" are better for Black people than alcohol anyway.
Most Black folks I know start getting either angry or start crying after a few drinks.

I actually think the herbal forms of heroin (the poppy seeds of opium) as well as the the herbal form of cocaine should be legal also.
However  I think the DRUG form ( the white powder or extract) of these plants should be under pharmacy control.

This is the same doctor I wrote about previously who was a guest on Bill Maher's TV show. He claims that a lot of people who regularly use drugs are not hooked but are bored, and that recreational drugs are not physical addictions but mental habits. 

Dr. Carl Hart, is a professor at Columbia University, and has become an academic darling because of the unorthodox views he claims his studies support.  He grew up on the streets and has led a very colorful life and critics regard his best selling book more of an autobiography than a serious work. 

I have mixed emotions about legalizing drugs. Would decriminalizing them make things better or worse for Blacks? Weed is certainly no more harmful than regular cigarettes or alcohol, and medical marijuana has beneficial uses. 

Yeah I saw the broadcast on Bill's TV show.  I could not get past all that Brother's hair -- I could not help thinking about all the things I could not easily do with all that hair and calculating the time, effort and expense to maintain that mane.

But the ladies probably love it. :wub:

Anywho, marijuana is essentially decriminalized now.  If they arrested every one who did an illegal drug there would not be that many people left on the streets.-- shoot imagine if they locked up all the job applicants who failed a drug screening.

Currently the state of Colorado has legalized marijuana -- effectively breaking federal law.  It will be interesting to see how that works out.

While I consider myself somewhat Conservative in behavior I believe in a Liberal society where people should be free to make their own choices as long as it doesn't hurt others.

The good thing about living in a permissive society is that you can change your mind about things as you get older and more experienced.

There are things I thought was immoral 20 years ago that I support today.
There are things I thought was stupid and unnecessary 20 years ago but understand the purpose of it today...like prison...lol.

After a brief and "close call" with Xanax about 15 years ago...I now understand why some drugs should only be allowed under a doctor's supervision.

That's why I maintain my original position that as long as they're in their herbal form, most plants should be legal.
But once distilled into the drug or crystalline form...then special precautions must be taken for public safety.

Pioneer do you know MANY people I don't recall the number OD accidentally on Tylenol and die.

I think laws should protect people from themselves as well.

I just don't know how we actually do this.  The government has failed miserably in preventing people from killing themselves with an over the counter medication.  Also one can die from just doubling the recommended dose!

Troy

Pioneer do you know MANY people I don't recall the number OD accidentally on Tylenol and die.
I think laws should protect people from themselves as well.
I just don't know how we actually do this. The government has failed miserably in preventing people from killing themselves with an over the counter medication. Also one can die from just doubling the recommended dose!

I believe all people of average intelligence should be required to be literate....to atleast be able to read, write, and count.

I also believe that the government (through the FDA) should properly ENFORCE it's laws to make sure all drugs are what they claim to be and in the said dosage.

Outside of this, what else can you do?

You can't protect people from being stupid or making stupid decisions like drinking while taking medication even when you're specifically told not to.

And remember, some people are suicidal.
Since Euthenasia is illegal, some people find all types of ingenious ways to kill themselves.

In an ideal society you protect people from eachother, but not necessarily from themselves.

There was in interesting story on The American Life about the FDA in ability to properly label drugs to prevent accidental over dose:

"One of the country's most popular over-the-counter painkillers — acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol — also kills the most people, according to data from the federal government. Over 150 Americans die each year on average after accidentally taking too much. And it requires a lot less to endanger you than you may know. We reported this alongside ProPublica".

It's funny to watch those drug commercials on tv.
You see people smiling and bouncing up and down happy....butterflies and shit floating around, lol.
Then they list the "potential" side effects:

Nausea
Bloody diarreah
Bloody GONNOREAH
Blindness
Heart attact
Stroke
Violent nightmares
Suicidal thoughts
Suicidal tendencies
Mass murder and mayhem

.....and have the nerve to tell people to run out and ask their doctor for some, lol.

Most drugs have side affects, whether they're illegal or prescription.
That's why the elders and shaman of ancient cultures recognized that medicines should be given in their proper herbal forms.

Most roots and leaves have properties to countereffect the negative side effects of the most potent ingredient/chemicals in them.
But when you extract that potent chemical out (drug) there's nothing left to counteract it, which is why people often have to end up taking OTHER drugs to deal with the side effects of the drugs they're taking.