This Generation

If you really think about it there was a time where people used the word brother and sister, now people address themselves as nig***, and address young black women as b's or thots(whore). i even see some young females address there own self as a bit**, it's ridiculous, is there anyone who feel the same as i do. because like i said there was once a time where we were Brothers and Sisters and kings and queens, and i'm not being judgmental but you actually seen women in dresses or pants or something where there not exposing themselves, or fighting and carrying on, and  getting drunk and young men not calling females out there name, I'm not saying it's totally demolished but seriously  we need to see it more often.

ONE more thing people tend to forget what our ancestors done to not be called some certain names and they worked hard to earn respect, it's time that us young black females and males start to respect ourselves. JUST SAYING.

• Like 2

The problem is most people assume that changing the way we speak to each other is of little consequence. I think it's a step in the right direction and it's one of the small things we can control.

you got it right on the nose, it start from within us and what changes we want to make as a unit,

Akia coincidentally I just finished a post where I used the phrase Brother and Sisters. The fact of the matter is that we are all Brother and Sisters.  Truth be told white folks are our Brothers and Sisters too, but I'm focused on my nuclear family, who is catching all the heel, before I can make overtures to and fully embrace my extended family.

Some of my more Afrocentric Brother like to refer to everyone as "Kings and Queens" that is a bit for me. but I get way they do it and it is FAR better than niggas and bitchs.

I've come to conclude the reason we use these terms and allow them to be used in our popular music so freely is that we are mentally ill.  Seriously, we suffer, collectively from a mental condition that presents in many ways including low self esteem.  I mean what else would explain why Black women support artists that refers to them in such a degrading manner?  

I mean I know why white people buy it, as it reaffirms their view of us, but why do we buy it?

This very week I heard a bunch of young white kids saying "nigger" I was about to confront them (something way out of my character, but they caught off guard), I started to walk in their direction only to realize they were singing a song from a BLACK RAPPER! I couldn't say shit and I went about my business.

Edited by Troy

There it is right there Troy! The problem is we think so little of the power of words that we no longer feel that these words are destructive or that changing the way we speak to each other will do anything of substance/consequence.

Once again we always end up where we began, nothing is going to change. People will always use the words that we use in some shape. It's a fight better discussed than fought.

Words are weapons.  But actions speak louder than words and one picture is worth a thousand words.  There's a message hidden right before our eyes in these old adages.  Reading between the lines and understanding the impact of what is not said is the beginning of wisdom.  Your ZEN thought for the day.  LOL

• Like 1