Is White Supremacy real?

White supremacy is a form of racism centered upon the belief, and promotion of the belief, that white people are superior in certain characteristics, traits, and attributes to people of other racial backgrounds and that therefore white people should politically, economically and socially rule non-white people. How do we remove the concept from society and begin to treat all people equally?

How do we remove the concept from society and begin to treat all people equally?

These are actually 2 separate questions so let me offer 2 responses from my perspective......

1. How do we remove the concept of White Supremacy from society?

The answer is pretty simple, BLACK ACHIEVEMENT destroys White Supremacy.
Black people (or any group of color) who achieve consistant success in academics, economics, morality, physical fitness, ect...counters the concept of White supremacy.
Infact, Asians are doing a pretty good job of this currently.

2. How do we begin to treat all people equally?

You're not.
Don't even waste your time trying.

You CAN'T treat all people equally because everyone doesn't deserve to be treated equally.
I think a more realistic goal would be to try and treat others more FAIRLY.

BTW Jazzy, if yall still on speaking terms....lol....tell Will and Jada I said  'sup.

• Like 1

Get rid of the language.  There is no such thing as "white" people.  The definition is subjective and not based upon science.  

At least one culture allowed one to buy whiteness.  In the U.S. Italians, Jews and Irish people did not start out as white, but now they would be considered white by some but not all.  The Supreme Court even upheld a decision, that a man with 1 Black great grandparent and 7 white great grandparents was Black and therefore could be legally thrown out the white section of a train.

I agree with Pioneer on #2 you can't treat people equally, but you should strive to be fair.  Indeed that, by itself would go a long way to eliminating racism.

But people are tribal, so racism is a very hard thing to change.  

But greed trumps tribalism and I always said our country's problems have much more to do with greed than racism.  Racism is the tool of the greedy.  Today we see increasingly white people become the victims of this greed.  They are the ones who lost their homes in the mortgage crisis.  They are the ones increasingly addicted to heroin and prescription drugs.  They are the ones who can't afford pay for school, and will suffer from student debt only to get a degree that will land them on the unemployment line.  They are the ones in jeopardy of not collecting a single penny of the social security they are paying into.  For Black folks treatment like this is par for the course.

...and people wonder why whites folks are embracing a Donald Trump. It is not really racism, they are reacting to being victims of greed from people of their own race--other white folks.  Of course Donald will not help them any more than Obama helped Black folks...

Black, white, red, yellow, unless you have some serious paper in this country, the system is rigged against you and you're simply ass out.  

• Like 1

Yes, white supremacy is an actual influence but "hope springs eternal in the human breast" and eliminating racism is a goal that blacks perpetually yearn for.   Scientists are still trying to figure out the paradoxes of quantum physics, something which supports the idea that a problem can exist independent of a solution. Sometimes an equation has to be re-written.that better applies to the dilemma.  White supremacy came about because people who invented the term are supreme at maintaining their power. Turn white into brown through in-breeding, and Mother Nature will eliminate the white supremacy dynamic. But the class system will still perpetuate discrimination.   :wacko:

Troy

But also the concept of White supremacy is keeping Trump ahead.
Poor White men value their status of being White more than they value healthcare, education, jobs, or anything else of substance.

Black, white, red, yellow, unless you have some serious paper in this country, the system is rigged against you and you're simply ass out.

And as Senior Love Daddy the Do The Right Thing DJ would say,
"And that's the TRUTH....RUTH!"

Cynique

But the class system will still perpetuate discrimination.

This is true.
All one has to do is go to Europe....especially eastern Europe to see millions of White people living in urban slums and suffering from the same social problems Blacks and Latinos in America suffered from like crime, high unemployment, poverty, broken families, ect...

Marxism sprung from poor Whites in Europe who couldn't figure out why "White Supremacy" wasn't working for them.

• Like 2

Let me start by saying I am a white person. Most white racists are not on their guard around other white people, so they feel free to express their antipathy toward or disapproval of blacks in a very candid way. It's strange to me, but they frequently assume that other white people share their attitudes and mores, because after all, to them, white supremacy is self-evident. We're all in the club, right? To end white supremacy, people raised with the concept of white supremacy will have to reject it as immoral. So rejecting white supremacy requires people to reject the opinions and beliefs of their parents, their families, and their peers who hold racist beliefs. And it requires them to objectively judge all of the aforementioned people as having wrong and immoral beliefs. This is a tall order, because it goes against human nature.

True objectivity is rare because familial bias and prejudice begin to affect us the day we are born. We are products of our moral environments. My wife has shown more moral courage than I have because she had to overcome her parents' attitudes. I was raised in a family who taught me that people of all races were equal, and that race was a social, not biological, construct - a false way to divide people.  My wife was not raised that way.  I don't think her parents ever told her "black people are inferior," but they always implied it, and I think, believed it. They steadfastly describe themselves as not racist, and in many ways they aren't.  In social situations, they would never believe it is appropriate to treat black people differently from whites. They believe in equal rights under the law.  They believe slavery is an evil institution, but they would always say things like, "times were different then." And they say, "blacks now have advantages that white people don't have," and, "we bend over backwards for them." Their beliefs are supported by their politics, their peers and their choices in popular culture and news media, which provide them all the confirmation bias they need.

So when you grow up hearing this sort of thing, the bias becomes ingrained, and it feels like truth, like all the other things we ever heard from our parents.  The problem for white supremacists is, the moral instruction they give naturally conflicts with their racist views and behaviors. My wife accepted the moral instruction her parents gave her with regard to justice, fairness, and love and because of that teaching, rejected their racial views, which were inconsistent with all their other stated values. This causes her moral unease toward her parents, whom she loves deeply, but sees as morally deficient. It's not a good feeling to have. People try to avoid having such feelings toward their loved ones and friends.  But this is what will be required of all people in order to eliminate white supremacy. So it's not just a matter of doing the right thing.  One must also judge loved ones as wrong, and that demands more effort than being the right way.

• Like 3

Thank you for taking time to offer that detailed perspective.
I like honesty and always encourage it because it's the only way we're going to solve problems.

I'll be honest......
I don't think you can "teach" away White supremacy or try to educate people against racism.
Nor do I think you can convince most people that everyone is equal AS LONG AS we're in a society where so many Black and Brown people still occupy the majority of those on the bottom rungs of the social and economic ladder.

Even the most liberal open minded White person will find it hard to view all races as equal when all he sees on his way to work downtown are rows and rows of Black men rocking back and forth talking to themselves and begging for money.

It's hard for the most open minded White woman to constantly see Black men being portrayed as criminals, rapists, and sexual deviants on the daily and nightly news and NOT feel a little uncomfortable setting inside an elevator alone with a strong looking Black man.

This society seems to perpetuate racism and White supremacy in it's very structure.

The only solution is for people...generation after generation....to actually SEE Black and Brown people produce as much for themselves as Whites have been able to on an economic and social levle. Only this will erase all doubts of equality from the minds of most Whites.
They have to actually SEE Black and Brown people independent, successful in medicine, arts, economics, and other endeavors as actual PROOF that we're equal.
Unless they see that, no amount of "shaming" them on their racist beliefs will work.

And let us not forget.....
White supremacy isn't a problem only Whites must deal with, ALL races have been indoctrinated with White Supremacy today and in most nations and societies on this Earth you'll find the lighest skinned people on top and the darkest on the bottom as evidence of this.

• Like 2

"blacks now have advantages that white people don't have," 

I've heard this so many times it's ridiculous.  The sentiment is ridiculous as well, but I understand why people feel this way. The first time was heard this was in college; I was in a program to help underprivileged kids the inner city become acclimated to college life.  It was summer program which allowed us to earn 6 college credits and we did not have to pay a cent.  "Free" room and board and well as tuition.  I think we may have even received a small stipend.

Our RA was a white upper classman.  Whenever ever the subject of cost of anything came up we had the habit of saying "Pay?...Pay? We don't pay for anything!"  Once I was saying this in unison with one of my buddies, who was also on a free ride. and our RA lost it!  He started yelling about how hard he had to work and how his parents did not have any money and we were getting everything for free and one....  This kid unloaded this was 36 years ago and I never forgot it.

One, the kid was so angry; and two, I just assumed all white people had money.  Understand I grew up in racially segregated New York City.  Of course as I got older I learned that there were plenty of poor white, uneducated white people.  

Today I'm I'm probably older than my RA's father was and I'm saddled with a ton of student debt, putting my own kid through the very same school.  So I feel his pain.  But coming from that position I would never want to be trade growing up in the environment I did for a scholarship to college.

I'm sure the RA made out find in life, despite having to work through college. I suspect however he still believe Black folks have much better than white folks.... and is probably a Donald Trump supporter.

Pioneer, I know things are bad now Because I see more and more people are begging for money in NYC and here is the kicker--most of them are white!  I see young white people begging for money every single day.  This is very unusual. 

• Like 1

Troy

This kid unloaded this was 36 years ago and I never forgot it.

Damn.
Lol, you went to college at 4?

I go to the nearest major university from time to time and interview Black students just to get a pulse on what's going on in their heads. One of the biggest complaints a lot of Black students tell me is that White students will openly tell them that they don't "belong" there.  That the only reason they are there is because of affirmative action or quotas or some "program" that got them in a spot or slot they weren't really qualified for.
They tell them this to their face!

It's alright for White women to benefit off of affirmative action and quotas whether in education or at the workplace, but when other groups who have been victims of historical discrimination do it....all of a sudden the scales of justice has been booby-trapped.

I feel like telling those kids GOOD.
If you're not going to be a doctor or scientist you should keep your ass out of college anyway, it's a SCAM.
Charging you an arm and a leg and getting you into perpetual debt without so much as even guranteeing you a job paying enough to support a family once you finally do get a degree.

I'm hearing now some schools even hold the degree you've earned until a portion of the debt is paid!

I see young white people begging for money every single day

You know what I see?
Most of the people on the street begging those who pass by are Black and to some extent Latino.
While most of the people standing near the traffic coming off freeways and intersections holding signs and begging are White.

• Like 1

A lot of time, what is overlooked is whether or not Blacks feel superior to Whites.  They are not above ridiculing  them, ignoring their standards, attributing very bad things to them or just plain dismissing them as "crazy white people". Implicit in this behavior is a feeling, if not of superiority, of at least rejection.   I'm sure this dates back  centuries,  when it began occurring to the slaves that Massa was kinda stupid and Miss Ann was an airhead. This, in a small way, was empowering.  

Human beings are flawed.  We should stop expecting them to be paragons of virtue.  When individuals deal with each other daily on a one-on-one basis, race very often fades, I worked on job with a white female co-worker who  hated another white worker, and would get mad with me if I was friendly toward the woman she hated.  I'm sure a lot of people have had similar experiences. 

• Like 1

Well, for centuries right up until the crack epidemic of the 80s Black people (in America atleast) actually DID see themselves as morally superior to Whites.

While many Black Americans had historically seen Whites as smarter and wealthier, even better looking, they all held on to the belief that there were certain things "Black folks just didn't do".
We thought mass killings, incest, and devil worship were all "White vices" that Black folks didn't engage in.
I can still remember as a kid hearing about gruesome murders or acts of cannibalism on television and Black men at the barbershop shaking theirr heads at how depraved some of them "White folks".

True Black Supremacy in the United States started with the Nation of Islam.

I think a lot of people both White and Black were knocked back on their heals in shock when Malcolm came on the scene and publicly demeaned and condemned the White race as "devils" and declared them to be inferior to Black people.

And they would often use history and genetic science to back up their claims.

• Like 2

I've been witness to both black and white people's prejudices regarding the other.  It would be silly to expect people to be free of prejudice, because they are...people; the best I know are flawed.and saddled with idiosyncratic beliefs and behaviors. But that's also what makes people interesting.

The antidote to white supremacy isn't black supremacy, although I have to say I understand the impulse. Does an oppressed group of people want some payback? Hells yeah, right? But against whom?  Domination holds some fantasy allure, but in reality requires constant conflict management, brutality, strategic behavior, and discipline within the dominant class.  Who's up for that sort of soul-destroying stuff? It's unsustainable over the long haul. 

Race as an idea has to be undermined. I think a lot of what is called racial strife is really tribalism and power politics.  Race makes a convenient way to practice tribalism and power politics because it's visible in addition to being (somewhat) cultural.  It's not like wondering if someone is a Republican or Democrat, or Christian or atheist.  It's right there in front of you on their skin! Their hair!  They're not LIKE us!  The focus must be on difference rather than the overwhelming sameness that we share.

For instance, a lot of the Trump support base does not want to cede the power it has historically enjoyed to the "undeserving," who is everyone who doesn't look and believe like them. Whenever you can say "those people," you can begin to scapegoat people as a collective group. Nothing rallies people like a common enemy. Sharing racial power means giving up the advantages you have had, whether they are legitimate or not, and people everywhere hesitate to give up advantages.  Who's to say whether the new people will appreciate you sharing with them? I don't like the way some of their belligerent leaders talk.  No, no.  Best not to start sharing, because then someone will come and take something from us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't think you can "teach" away White supremacy or try to educate people against racism.

I didn't mean to say it can be taught away, only that the moral underpinnings of white supremacy are belied by other moral instruction, and that truth will reveal that.  That's a hard row to how, no doubt, but if people claim to seek moral truth, it's there to be found. I agree that achievement and independence are the way to illustrate equality, not just carry on about it.  Then the concept of white supremacy collapses in the face of empirical evidence, not high-minded talk.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:46 PM, Guest said:

I didn't mean to say it can be taught away, only that the moral underpinnings of white supremacy are belied by other moral instruction, and that truth will reveal that.  That's a hard row to how, no doubt, but if people claim to seek moral truth, it's there to be found. I agree that achievement and independence are the way to illustrate equality, not just carry on about it.  Then the concept of white supremacy collapses in the face of empirical evidence, not high-minded talk.

High minded talk, is right. Solutions offered are hypothetical, as opposed to realistic.  White Supremeacy is comparable to  the name of a sports team. and like the NFL or NBA or  NHL, whatever team defeats all the contenders, wins the privilege to call itself supreme until another team defeats it.  Nice guys finish last, and morality is just a word, as the pollution of religion proves. Might makes right. Power is the other side of the supremacy coin, and "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."  It's the nature of the beast.  

LOL  My screen name speaks for itself..  

I agree that achievement and independence are the way to illustrate equality, not just carry on about it.  Then the concept of white supremacy collapses in the face of empirical evidence, not high-minded talk.

Well put!

Del

White Supremacy has to be dismantled by Whites. since they created and gave it agency. No amount òf achievement will counter act Of hire Supremacy because it is not rational. It's belief in a self perpetuating fiction

Since it was created by.....
maintained by.....
and benefitted by......Whites
Then Whites should be the LAST people you'd expect to dismantle White Supremacy.

Why would I destroy an insitution that has benefitted me?

White Supremacy actually IS a rational ideaology because it's logically based on beliefs, generalizations, and observations by most of those those who hold that ideaology.  It's just that many of those beliefs and generalizations are false or exaggerated.

Concrete PROOF of Black achievement defeats the mere anecdotal EVIDENCE of White superiority and thus dismantles the false ideaology of White Supremacy.

Earl Warren taught that "we could have peace neither in our cities nor in our hearts until truly equal education, equal opportunity, equal enfranchisement, and equal respect were made the patrimony of every American." Dr. Bethune said, "We have a powerful potential in our youth, and we must have the courage to change old ideas and practices so that we may direct their power toward good ends." They shared a faith in equal opportunity and optimism about the future that connected them. Mrs. Bethune knew that education was the great equalizer. Warren knew that the law was the great leveler.  Where are we today? Do we have the desire, but not the will, or do we have the will, but not the desire. White supremacy/Racism can be dismantle in a matter of seconds if only the whites, who do not practice white supremacy, would only say stop it, and stop it now to the white supremacist.  Do you think they will all just say stop it, and stop it now? 

1 hour ago, Sara said:

Whites created Racism and White Supremacy. In today's world, only they can deconstruct it. Which is why I asked who you were talking to - white people of whom each and EVERY one, benefits from White Supremacy, or its victims?

Sara,

In response to your question, I was probably just thinking out loud and not talking to anyone in specific. I wandered across this board when I was looking for some Ta-nehesi Coates reading information, so I was unfamiliar with it. Late night.  Just watched "the Big Short," which was about class and economic injustice, not racial injustice.  Had a couple of beers and shot some pool, and felt like spouting.  I don't think my ideas would be any different no matter who the audience is.  I don't keep my opinions to myself when I come across a white supremacist.  And no, I don't think it's courageous or virtuous of me to call out white supremacists, but I was trying to explain why there's so much cultural inertia against it. Some racism is subtle and invidious, some is full-on 240 volt vile and virulent. I'm not looking for praise for my wife, whom I described as having bucked her parents ideas about race. But I thought her example was relevant to how white supremacy is defeated or at least diminished. She doesn't believe what her parents taught her, and judges them badly.  It has caused relationship problems for her and that takes some moral courage. I'll stand behind that statement.

Think about ideas that you think are morally wrong or incorrect that are widespread among people you know and love. Oh c'mon now, I know you know people like this.  Their ideas are usually based on preconceptions and stereotypes (not objective fact or empirical observation), right?  Nobody deduces white supremacy (or they they don't understand or can't manage deductive reasoning), they 're taught it.  How does this stuff get perpetuated?  White people who believe in white supremacy don't WANT to believe they, their moms and dads, their aunts and uncles, their friends, etc. are morally wrong.  People just aren't wired like that.  That would mean they would also have to WILLINGLY give up any advantages conferred upon them by the system of white supremacy, and that goes against self-interest. People just don't look in the mirror and see the bad guy. Do you know anyone in denial? But they will change under the right circumstances.  I've seen it happen, which is why I continue to believe it can.

I always used to tell my kids if you want to know what someone's about, DON'T listen to what they say; watch what they do and how they spend their time and money. They'll show you what they're about. Talk may be all true or all diversion, but people (of all skin colors) usually talk a better game than they walk, so when it it comes to giving up social and economic power, they may say a lot of the right things, but they opt to behave in their own self-interest more often than they opt to behave in accord with their stated moral values. That's both black folks and white folks.

I agree with the commenters on here who say only white people can dismantle white supremacy. No white supremacist will find some person of color as a credible source of moral learning. But they will take note of black achievement, so that's no small thing. So I guess I need to make a little more noise a little more often where it's unwelcome. People need to be challenged, taught, cajoled, fought, changed somehow.  I'm not a naive person, but I think things can be done and minds can be changed.

And for the lady who said it's all about meeting power with power and fighting fire with fire (I'm paraphrasing), I hope you got a lotta fire...

56 minutes ago, Guest said:

And for the lady who said it's all about meeting power with power and fighting fire with fire (I'm paraphrasing), I hope you got a lotta fire...

Since I'm the only other lady posting here, you are indeed paraphrasing what i said and i wish you'd be more specific about which post I said this in. 

White supremacy is a subject that lends itself to great debate and interpretation.  Anybody who defines what white supremacy is, should also be prepared to expound on how to eliminate it.  What we get is a bunch of opinions all of which seemed to be based on the idea that there is rhyme or reason to this thing called Life.  But is there? Or is it that white supremacy is a fluid dynamic which, although ubiquitous, varies  from situation to situation,  

Being white is no guarantee that a person will thrive better than his black counterpart; what it guarantees is that whites have a head start in an attempt to do this and if an individual can't cut the mustard, he will have to settle for the consolation prize of feeling that he is better than others. This world is full of poor, down and out white failures, shuffling around trailer parks, smokin meth, collecting welfare, feeling superior to  black people.   Are they winners or losers? There are also millions of blacks who are staying under the white supremacy radar, acquiring degrees and skills getting ahead in life. This does not follow the script of how to defeat white supremacy but it does serve as an analogy of the real world.

Karma is a spiritual dynamic that preaches what goes around, comes around.  Is this true? Or is it just another way of saying that  things go in cycles; and in the long natural process of this, the flexible survive.  

Where white supremacy exerts its most influence is in the ministering of justice.  It works better for whites than it does for people of color, but what does this prove? Justice and equality are elusive because they are no match for the money and power that stays in the hands of people who call themselves superior.  It is, what it is. Life doesn't give a damn about good and bad or right or wrong; that's why man had to conjure up religion and its promise of an after life where everything is rosy.      

Talk is cheap.  If it was worth anything, white supremacy would've been bought out centuries ago. Ka-Ching!

IMHO. LOL

Guest Whitey
3 hours ago, Cynique said:

3 hours ago, Sara said:

Okay, my bad. Sorry I agreed with someone who keeps mistaking me for people who think he doesn't know what the freak he's talking about and then, and THEN, turns around agrees WITH me, but credits those people who think he's a dunce!

No apologies necessary.  Apologize when you have intentionally offended for bad reasons or when you realize after the fact you have done that. For me, it's not always clear when I have tried to put a beat down on someone who didn't deserve it, or been overly zealous in trying to proving my rightness. But it's usually clear upon reflection.  You are passionate in your beliefs and I always like seeing that, even if it can occasionally take you off the rails. Just realize when it has.

Guest Whitey
6 hours ago, Sara said:

Glad to see you know white people better than the white guest knows himself, his people, and the doctrine of White Supremacy his ancestors came up with to put themselves in power, keep themselves in power and perpetuate that power over all the darker-skinned peoples of the earth until the end of time.

You credit white people with greater homogeneity and racial solidarity than actually exists.  This is a weird concept to me, because I don't claim other white people as "my" people.  If you think "we" are all tight and think the same thing, heaven help you. Most of my ancestors came to America in the early 1900's from Denmark and Germany, and were farmers in the Midwest  (Iowa and Minnesota), I understand my whiteness, and the advantages it conveys in modern society, but my "people" generally tried scratching out out an agricultural living in eastern Iowa without trying to coerce black folk to do anything. it's a racist construct to imagine all white people share the same the same ancestry or inherited beliefs. It is a funny thing to imagine my forebears in charge of anything except their own meager lives, much less the subjugation of other people. Don't buy into that idea, please. The American experience is highly varied..

• Like 1

This thread is a jumbo of who said this about what, and my name is mentioned.  The only time I said anything about  "fighting fire with fire and power with power" was when i denied saying it.

Quoted below is my take on the subject of white supremacy. 

5 hours ago, Cynique said:

White supremacy is a subject that lends itself to great debate and interpretation.  Anybody who defines what white supremacy is, should also be prepared to expound on how to eliminate it.  What we get is a bunch of opinions all of which seemed to be based on the idea that there is rhyme or reason to this thing called Life.  But is there? Or is it that white supremacy is a fluid dynamic which, although ubiquitous, varies  from situation to situation,  

Being white is no guarantee that a person will thrive better than his black counterpart; what it guarantees is that whites have a head start in an attempt to do this and if an individual can't cut the mustard, he will have to settle for the consolation prize of feeling that he is better than others. This world is full of poor, down and out white failures, shuffling around trailer parks, smokin meth, collecting welfare, feeling superior to  black people.   Are they winners or losers? There are also millions of blacks who are staying under the white supremacy radar, acquiring degrees and skills getting ahead in life. This does not follow the script of how to defeat white supremacy but it does serve as an analogy of the real world.

Karma is a spiritual dynamic that preaches what goes around, comes around.  Is this true? Or is it just another way of saying that things go in cycles; and in the long natural process of this, the flexible survive.  

Where white supremacy exerts its most influence is in the ministering of justice.  It works better for whites than it does for people of color, but what does this prove? Justice and equality are elusive because they are no match for the money and power that stays in the hands of people who call themselves superior.  It is, what it is. Life doesn't give a damn about good and bad or right or wrong; that's why man had to conjure up religion and its promise of an after life where everything is rosy.      

Talk is cheap.  If it was worth anything, white supremacy would've been bought out centuries ago. Ka-Ching!

IMHO. LOL

Guest Whitey

"Nice guys finish last, and morality is just a word, as the pollution of religion proves. Might makes right. Power is the other side of the supremacy coin, and "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."  It's the nature of the beast."

Tranquilo, Cynique, After all, your screen name invites cynicism, no? I did not mean to offend you with some cryptic comments. i've read several of your posts and I think you are a thoughtful and intelligent poster. Much better than me. Wasn't quite sure what you meant with this <above>. It strayed a bit with regard to a point, and I honestly thought you meant I was putting forth some sort of mushy, feelgood thing, and you were determined to crush my naive foolishness like a damn bug. i may have been less than clear, but I am a hard-eyed realist, not a fool.  And yet I persist in the idea that white supremacy can be undone. Because it can, and because I've done it. I understand why you may doubt that. But if you met me, you would understand my awesomeness. I'm kidding, of course (am I really?), most people would just describe me as "really good" or "great" and not awesome. None of that matters to me. Whatever. I'm like Kwai-Chang Kaine.  Humble, but I'll throw down some kung fu if you get all self-righteous and surly. <jk>

I never heard this message from Dr. King.  This is not the Obamaish "I have a Dream" speech, the people now want to pigeonhole King into; this is a important message, from an activist, explaining to people why they are in the situation they are in, how the government is involved, with a concrete plan on how to remedy it.

King had not only the dream, he had the plan, but he also had the ability and the willingness to articulate this to the masses--this sort of thing gets you killed in America.

6 hours ago, Troy said:

I never heard this message from Dr. King.  This is not the Obamaish "I have a Dream" speech, the people now want to pigeonhole King into; this is a important message, from an activist, explaining to people why they are in the situation they are in, how the government is involved, with a concrete plan on how to remedy it.

King had not only the dream, he had the plan, but he also had the ability and the willingness to articulate this to the masses--this sort of thing gets you killed in America.

Actually it is a dream speech.  These words were uttered over 50 years ago and what came of King's plans? Did they "dry up like a raisin in the sun"?

BTW, I am interested in the particulars of who provided the money and land for all the "A&M"  historical black colleges and universities.  Did  our white supremist government patronizingly throw a few crumbs to its black slave descendants to pacify them?

I like to deal with the whole picture because I seek the "truth". I'm weary of rhetoric and endless debate. The ramifications of "race" seem  never-ending.

16 hours ago, Guest Whitey said:

"Nice guys finish last, and morality is just a word, as the pollution of religion proves. Might makes right. Power is the other side of the supremacy coin, and "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."  It's the nature of the beast."

Tranquilo, Cynique, After all, your screen name invites cynicism, no? I did not mean to offend you with some cryptic comments. i've read several of your posts and I think you are ... thoughtful...

To broaden a discussion and because I am into ZEN and Existentialism,  I frequently take POVS that read between the lines, or are outside the box.  I'm jaded and burnt-out when it comes to the same ol dialogue and the sacro-sanct. If this offends people, then so be it. I am not seeking approval. 

Guest Guest
16 hours ago, Sara said:

Doesn't matter if you, PERSONALLY, claim other white people as "your" people. Other white people are certainly not "my" people, or any Latina's "people," or any Asian's "people." If there's any brotherhood going on, they're YOUR people. 

I thought about this a little and "my" people run the full melanin spectrum.  My friends and family are "my people," and they include blacks, asians and latinos, in addition to whites.  I'm pretty sure they feel the same about me. Despite my paleness, I think they would claim me as I do them. So you can divide people up by race if you want, but that won't lead to anything good. As to one of your other comments, I've already said I have benefited from white supremacy, so I'm not running away from anything. I didn't say it as a grudging admission, I said it as a fact.  I'm sorry you don't consider any white people among "your" people.

• Like 2

Guest Whitey
1 hour ago, Sara said:

Being silly again, are we, whitey whose parents are from Denmark and Germany yet has Black, Asian and Latino relatives?

Can't help but be silly sometimes. Reading comprehension, dear. Family and friends. Many of them are friends.  But there's this thing called marriage, and as unlikely as it may seem to you, we have Black and Latino family members. They may not be as discerning as you. Only Asian friends, though. No relatives.

• Like 1

Always revealing to hear from lying sara, doing what she does best, which is to lie and distort because it is her innate nature do this; can't help herself. tsk-tsk Which is also why she probably only posted a part of the clip that she wants praise and attention for doing, another one of her pathetic needs. 

LOL look who's talking about a monolith of thought, when you go into a snit  if somebody expresses a view different from your agenda. That's why you're peeing all over yourself about your video clip inspiring questions.

You're entitled to your opinion which is predictably a subjective manisfestation of your need to elevate yourself and diss anybody who does not conform to your dictates, or agree with  your inflated delusions about your phony, lying, mentally unbalanced self.  You don't want black diversity, you want a cookie cutter black population made over in your image because you think you know best.   If you got a problem with my being the way I am, tough.  :P

Fussing with a paranoid pathological alcoholic liar like you is a waste of time.  I don't care whether you stay or go.  Doesn't make me any difference.  Why should it? You over-estimate your impact on this board and your effect on me.  I'm gonna say what I want to say to whomever I want to say it to. Just like everybody else does. The only one this is as big deal to is you and your crazy-assed self.  So   Babble on.    LMAO