Election Aftermath

Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote. So her entrenched constituency came through for her. Her problem was that she didn't make any converts. Apparently, the "undecided" voters ended up going for Donald Trump because they were fed up with the Black lives matter movement, with the LGBT community, with Plannned Parenthood, with Mexican Immigrants, with the Muslim presence, with Native American protests, with the assumption that celebrities would influence how they voted, and last but no least, with the idea of Hillary Clinton perpetuating the liberal agenda that Barak Obama represented. Opposing all of this is what they truly believed would make America great again. This country has referred to itself as the Land of Opportunity, and in this election millions of its citizens took this opportunity to register their intolerance of others or, as Martin Luther King phrased it, "a dislike for the unlike". So Trump's election is a victory for the "great white hope". Others can only hope that he will develop the integrity to make his presidency one that is inclusive, rather than exclusive. The future of the United States depends on this. IMO

• Like 2

Gore, who probably would have been an honorable president, also won the popular but lost the electoral college.  

I wish they would use the popular vote to decide who becomes the POTUS.

Despite the general consensus that I observed as I skimmed Facebook, Hillary's loss, I believe, was less an of an indictment of the liberal policies, but more a reflection of the economic pain people are feeling.

Keep in mind there are plenty of Black people who have a disdain for the LGBT agenda, Muslims, etc, so I doubt it was just these issues.

I think the democrats made a strategic error trying to shove Hillary down our throats. Bernie would have almost certainly destroyed Trump.  

Unfortunately, Hillary is finished and Bernie is not likely to have the energy to run a campaign in 2020.  But it really should not be too difficult to get a solid opponent to beat Trump in four years, if the Democrats simply take a few minutes to really listen to their constituents.

Trump understood exactly what he needed to say to get people to vote for him.  It did not matter that everything Trump said came without a plan, or wasn't even within the realm of possibility. Trump was brilliant, taking advantage of the uneducated, the struggling, and yes, the racists.  These people, it appears, makes up at least 50% of the American population--Trump knew this going in.  

Obviously, Trump is not going to bring back manufacturing, or build a wall, deport more people than Obama has, or do anything for Black people struggling in the inner cities.

With Republican majorities in both the House and Senate and maybe 2 or 3 Supreme Court nominees, the Republican agenda will be advanced a great deal in the next fours years. This does not bode well for people without a lot of money or small business owners, like myself.

Why this caught anyone by surprise is beyond me.  But I guess it is more a reflection of the filter bubble we all inhabit.  If you get your news from only one source or social media, you are simply being lied to, or woefully uninformed--at best.

We did this to ourselves, and deserve what we get.  Maybe it will prompt us to actually do something about it..

Just because black voters had reservations about Muslims and the LGBT community doesn't negate the fact that these groups were significantly repulsive to most Trump supporters.  Also, the economy is not that dire, and Trump got a large share of employed blue collar workers and middle income white collar ones, law and order people who think cop's lives matter as much as black ones, and that Muslims and Mexicans pose a threat, and that LGBTs are a menace to society.  Another common thread running through Trump's supporters is the threat of having their whiteness devalued, plus an indignation over being dismissed by the Liberal intelligentsia and the Hollywood celebrity, something that was especially offensive to white rural America.  

Furthermore, I and a lot of other people don't believe that a 72-year-old progressive Jew like Bernie Sanders could've overcome Trump's momentum and defeated him for the office.

I happen to think people were more disappointed than surprised that Hillary lost because she never accumulated a really big lead and was so blatantly disliked. I, personally, never thought she was a sure thing. What wasn't foreseen was that white Republican women voters would be so absent in their support of her. I wonder if Trump, himself, expected to the win the presidency because he didn't look particularly jubilant in victory. 

Like Donald Trump, General Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected to the presidency without ever having held political office. He, however, had the wisdom to realize this shortcoming and made the decision to delegate authority which was why his leadership style was referred to as "ruling by committee".  Maybe Trump will have sense enough to surround himself with capable people concerned with the common good.  Meanwhile the Democratic party has been cast in the role of a phoenix, left to rise from it ashes, speaking of which I, likewise, find myself burnt out.    And so it goes...

Bernie had as good a chance as a young inexperienced Black man, for they both promised change, which is what Trump promises.

Trump was not jubilant because he was probably on his meds. It also might have dawned on him that being president will actually be a very difficult job and he'll have to work very hard for the next four years to accomplish anything or go down in complete disgrace.

Eisenhower might not have been a politician, but he was obviously familiar with politics, the military, and the government.  I would not put Dwight and Donald in the same category.  I don't think (or hope) Donald is egotistical enough to think he can do the job himself.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of the state of the economy.  While I can understand why you might say it is not that dire.  The reality is that all the growth has gone to the people at the top, and the masses are increasingly worse off.

Think of it this way; there are more websites and more people online than ever before, but much of the wealth generated, as a result of this growth, is going to fewer websites. This creates oligarchic conditions which is resulting in most websites being worse off--despite the overall growth. Fewer websites are sharing the benefits of this growth. Because fewer websites are benefiting, people are worse off because they have less choice.  This is the American economy.

• Like 1

I find it somewhat amusing how all the TV talking heads, between admitting how clueless they were about the mood of the nation, are now empathizing with those who elected Donald Trump, and whom he has referred to as the "forgotten people".  In suddenly discerning this voting bloc, white pundits are now seeking to sanitize it by saying the members of it were not motivated by racism or xenophobia or homophobia, but were simply worried about the economy, job security and terrorism, and were tired of being overlooked.  Yeah, right.  It's not as if everyone else didn't have these same worries. And who more than black folks are tired of being overlooked?  The difference was that, unlike his followers, other groups didn't identify with the racist, fascistic, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic Donald Trump as someone who would turn things around. Maybe the media got it wrong when they predicted Hillary would win, but its original assessment of Trump and his mob as being bigots was correct.   

If you can stand it, listen to Rush Limbaugh or anyone on the far right and it may give you some additional insight into the way some of the electorate see things.

There are great numbers of people who were with Trump and predicted the win.  They feel the pollsters simply lied about Trump's reach to undermine his impact.

I always believed the media are the cause, or certainly had a hand, in the rise of Trump. Because of their interest in ratings, they gave him tons a free coverage.  No other candidate in the history of elections got as much free coverage as Trump did over the course of his campaign.

I can't see him doing 8 years in office.

Well.....
I think this is going to be a very interesting 4 years to say the least...lol.

I just think it's funny how conservative Republicans started talking about voter fraud and rigged elections but now that Trump has been elected you can't find ONE Democrat who even mentions the possibility of voter fraud.

This shows you the difference between Republicans and Democrats and why the Republicans continue to "out play" the Dems and continue to win.

Democrats love to play by the rules, Republicans play to win.

Hey Pioneer, you should listen to the hard left. My local NPR affiliate WNYC, had plenty of people complaining about a rigged election -- there have street protests with people complaining that the election was invalid.

The was not a Republican win; this was a Trump win and he won despite the Republicans and probably because of the Democrats.

• Like 1

The Republicans are really getting their revenge.  All the candidates up for cabinet positions are people who, like Trump,  have been objects of contemptuous ridicule and include such jerks as Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Newt Gingrich, and Chris Christy, 4 of the many Republicans I can't stand.   Meanwhile, all the black Christians on FaceBook are telling shell-shocked Hillary supporters, not to despair because "God has a plan and he is in charge."  All I can wonder is if this is the same God who allowed black folks to be enslaved for centuries, while the plantation owners justified this inhumane situation by referring to bible verses.  

I'm pretty much done with this country.  I 'm not saying that my Liberal philosophy is better than the Conservative one that is about to pervade the nation. What I am saying, is that I don't want to be in an environment where this is the case because it goes against every fiber of my being.   C'est la Vie. 

• Like 1

Trump is helping people who've helped and supported him.
Maybe Democrats and Liberals should take a page from his play book.

Trump's cronyism and nepotism is nothing new, wealthy White males at all levels of the government as well as business sector have been engaging in this type of behavior since their establishment of this nation. Trump has just become more open and bold with what was already happening.

Cynique, I don't know where you're gonna go.
Like War said....."The World Is A Ghetto".....lol.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1 LOL is right.  When I said I was "done" with this country, I meant I had lost  what little faith I had left in it.  I don't plan to pull up stakes and leave.  The only place I'm retreating to is the environment of my woman cave where I will go into semi-hibernation like I usually do this time of year.    

America is on track to regress to its past and I think all of those who wanted this should be careful what they wish for because they are about to get it at the hands of Alpha white males who will do what they do when in charge.   

This country deserves what it gets because over 40 percent of its citizens didn't even bother to vote while millions who did cast their ballot had it nullified by the electoral college. But the pendulum swings back and forth and things go in cycles. Maybe the progressive community will get a second chance and not blow it. As for Hillary Clinton, It just wasn't meant to be.  Or, as Del might, observe; it was not in the stars.    And it was her own race who failed her.  Poetic justice?  Maybe.   

• Like 1