Eboni K. Williams on Beyonce's Message; "Doing more harm than good"

While researching some basic biographical on Ebony K.Williams, I stumbled across this video of Ebony K. Williams. She made me think about the impact of artist on young people.  Interestingly Eboni's mom, a Black woman, is a 45 supporter. She felt 45 would make the change needed.

As I get older I wish more women my age got as much coverage as these really very young women do.

What message is being sent by versatile super star Beyonce who wears many hats: entertainer, wife, mother, business woman?  If you make fanciful videos portraying scantily-clad seductive women singing, dancing and interacting with guys,  this will attract impressionable young fans who will buy your product and make you rich and famous?    Or, - does she actually make girls want to present themselves as alluring skanks, bent on attracting members of the opposite sex?  Or, - does she simply inspire young women to  become the best that she can be at what they are good at, in the hopes of becoming a successful person?  All of these answers probably apply. 

If you'd take a survey of  black girls from all walks of life, a McDonalds fast food worker, a WalMart check-out associate, a college student, an upwardly mobile professional, they'd all  most certainly would want to better themselves. Give them credit for that. I don't think they would  say that Beyonce was their prime focus in achieving this goal, or that they admired her anymore than their beloved, hard working, church-goin, "Mother-dear" matriarchs.   What i do think is that they'd all say that Bey's exciting performances  bedazzle them and make her fun to watch!  And sometimes "girls just wanna have fun". 

Yes, it's good for  young sistas to have impeccable role models like first lady, Michelle Obama, TV producer, Shondra Rhymes, Tennis star, Serena Williams, and Congressswoman, Maxine Waters, but in this imperfect world, we all have our guilty pleasures. We all lapse into free-spirited naughtiness at times.

Sexual harasser Bill O'Reilly is in no position to chide celebs about the messages they send.    Vacillating Ebony K. Williams needs to do a better job at articulating her position on this subject.  

• Thanks 1

Actually I've listened to a few interviews of Eboni lately she seems to articulate her positions quite well and seems consistent. I was completely unaware of her until Kam sent me a review of her book a few months ago (I did not run it).  

Eboni reminds be on Mel in many ways. Smart, educated, attractive, and comes from a family of business folk.  Eboni said that all of her friends are the same way, and that people need to understand this is the way Black women are.  

Ebony does consider BIll a "mentor," a term I doubt Mel would ever ascribe to a Bill Reilly. I'm not a fan of Bill, which makes me rather indifferent to Eboni K.  But I shared her perspective because she is a Black women with a platform who says Beyonce is doing "more harm than good."  Now if she is saying that about Queen Bey, I wonder what she would think of Cardi B

I actually would like to learn what the majority of Black people think about the most popular Black rap artists and how they are positioned in the media.  The same positioning I feel that got Biggie and Tupac killed.

• Thanks 1

If she's on Fox News.....and she's a woman (of color or otherwise) she is probably on there more for how she LOOKS than how intelligent or insightful she is.

Fox News is one of the propaganda tentacles of the American right-wing and when you see the women on there you notice that almost all of them are attractive and dress provocatively.

Why?

In order to KEEP YOU WATCHING the channel to watch the women.....while they fill your mind full of right wing propaganda.

This young lady may be intelligent and articulate but her being on Fox News wasn't an ACCOMPLISHMENT based on her own merit.....she was CHOSEN to be in the position she's in.

• Thanks 2