Heads Up, Antonio

LOL. If you think the arguing and debunking that has been going on here from day one will suddenly reverse itself, Antonio, and everybody is going be of one mind, you're  in for a rude awakening. Like Troy suggests, this is an open forum where a lively exchange of ideas prevails, and nobody is encouraged to defer to another person just for the sake of harmony.  Different opinions are the name of the game here, because this broadens the perspective and keeps things interesting. The regulars here routinely argue and feud with each other and then move on. We don't really take each other that seriously and "insults" roll off our backs. There does, however, seem to be a consensus here among all of us, who unlike you, are not Millennials. Black unity will remain elusive because the black community is not a monolith; it is diverse. And diversity is not necessarily a bad thing. 

You're input is welcome, however,  because as a Millennial you represent a new interpretation on existing points of view.  But don't expect to have your opinions go unchallenged. For instance, your opinion about the Black Panthers being one of the greatest movements we ever had.   i don't agree. They were on a collision course with disaster from the beginning because they were ill-prepared revolutionaries more about style than substance,  not to mention their abusiveness toward women.  As you say, the FBI had its sites on them, and they weren't going anywhere, except to the morgue after being mowed down.  In spite of their bravado about the government being able to "kill the revolutionary but not the revolution', they both died. Panther co-founder, Bobby Seale, is today a member of the mainstream and seemingly looks back, almost with detachment, at this  organization which lacked viability. The greatest accomplishment of the Black Panthers was their aggravating J. Edgar Hoover, head of the FBI back then. 

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

LOL. If you think the arguing and debunking that has been going on here from day one will suddenly reverse itself, Antonio, and everybody is going be of one mind, you're  in for a rude awakening. Like Troy suggests, this is an open forum where a lively exchange of ideas prevails, and nobody is encouraged to defer to another person just for the sake of harmony.  Different opinions are the name of the game here, because this broadens the perspective and keeps things interesting. The regulars here routinely argue and feud with each other and then move on. We don't really take each other that seriously and "insults" roll off our backs.

I'll agree with that, @Cynique. Yes, I'm new to new on here, so I was unaware that what I was addresses was simply a norm on here. You all are used to each other and I understand the nature here now. I'll be sure to pay such arguments no mind next time. That's not really what I'm on here for. And naturally, I'm not really the arguing type (It's my girlfriend's thing). And even if I was arguing, I'm just not a person that believes in throwing insults in an argument. Especially given you all are older than me, I wouldn't address you like that no matter how much I disagreed. I was raised on respecting your elders, treating people how you want to be treated. So, thank you for making me aware so that I'll know going forward. And thank you @Troy.

And with the black panthers, Okay. To each is own. Every movement has its negative, just like every person does. And within those will be arguments.

Okay, @Delano, I came on here to run things. I've already resigned if that's the case, lol. I don't like the idea of being a boss, I don't to manage egos.

23 minutes ago, Delano said:

Your criticism are unfounded and misguided. Yet they have unitEd us in criticising you.

That you're right on, but @Cynique made me aware of the nature here. And yes, I noticed that, and it's kind of funny.

Trust me, Antonio is minding his business next time. You can have the lead back @Delano.

• Thanks 1

@ Antonio,  you aren't  the first newbie to react the way you did to the tone of this forum.  They all seemed a  little shell-shocked, and soon faded away.  i like how you handled it.  Hang in here. We can all learn from each other.  My grandchildren are all millennials, and we are rarely on the same page.  I think it's because everything new to them  is old to me and i've become jaded.   My screen name is a derived from the word "cynic". Over time, i have gravitated toward being an iconoclast  and in discussions, i frequently take on the contrarian role which requires people i am debating with to examine and defend their beliefs. And this is beneficial to both me and them because we can both learn something.  As an aspiring writer you should always be seeking truth and authenticity.  :D

• Like 3

Completely understood @Cynique. I'm glad you have an understanding. And I like the backstory with the name there. It's all coming together. Funny enough, it's the same with my Granny. Since she's known about this writing journey, she's been against. I've convinced her over time, she still slips in her comments thought. But, I love her. You're southern, aren't you? Something feels familiar about you.

And @Delano, I don't really look at it like that. I'm just giving my perspective. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't have the ego to pull such a statement off. I know people like that, and they speak more and listen less because they think they know everything.

18 hours ago, Delano said:

why do you assume your perspective is correct? 

@Delano, I'll rephrase something you said, but it really doesn't matter. That's your perspective. If you think I have "false modesty", that's you. I'm not going to take the time to defend that, I don't have to. You're overanalyzing my statements. If you'd read my conversations with @Cynique, You'd see there's nothing false about that, or maybe you won't see it and find something else to argue with me about. I feel like you want me to admit to being a certain way that I'm not, I can't entertain that, man.

@Cynique, Oh, Okay. That's close enough.

@Antonio Ingram perhaps I am mistaken so i will share my observations. Your post should be in the literary section. You aren't seeking consideration you are seeking employment. You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition . This means that you haven't fully conveyed your idea. Your second post was an aim to get career advice. You welcomed everyone's criticism humbly. Yet you took issue with mine. Possibly because I was the only person not offering career advice. You will do well , you came into Culture Race and Economy and got more than you gave. You aren't the first person to get career advice but you are the first to ask then attempt to school your benefactors.  I will be glad to be wrong in my assessment of you and your actions. So i will put it out there for the group to comment. 

@Delano, I looked through the post sections before I posted it. I didn't see any employment sections, so I picked somewhere I thought It would fit. And Okay, I'll keep that one in mind. I had no problem with you not giving me career advice, that's your preference. I only took issue in the first place because it appeared that my character and who I am as a person was being questioned. Being told I'm trying to "run" things, being told I think my perspective is "superior" to everyone else. I took issue with that because that's the opposite of who I am as a person. But, that's how you guys address each other on here, I'm not used to that.

I came on here to connect with other black writers, I have a connection with a whole bunch of white writers on stage 32. I wanted to build on my connection with black writers. People I can relate with. To be more specific, young black writers and young black screenwriters because I was basically the only one who wanted to do that at the university. Those people are not on here either, but I like the topics in the post and have decided to stick around.

And I think "school your benefactors" is the wrong statement. First glance, I thought everyone was bashing each other and arguing. Naturally, I'm not the arguing type, especially when it comes to black folks. I just thought about how blacks tear each other down, and that was why I brought the black panthers up in the first place. I was making a point. Me saying they were one of the greatest movements we had, that's my opinion. I didn't know that was how you guys communicated on here. I know that now for sure. I was just trying to stop what I thought was an argument. If you get me trying to "school" you and my other peers out of that, I don't know what to tell you. 

I've taken the time to rectify the situation with nothing but respect. I would never try school peers that are older than me. Even if I was your same age, I still wouldn't do that. That's not in my nature. It's unfortunately that you considered me as such.

@Antonio Ingram Actually you would be a better fit in the literary forum on this site.  People here don't engage in a lot of discussion about  books or writing careers. We can offer suggestions and sympathy but not much more that what you already know.

Sometimes, a writer gets too close to their work and can't recognize its flaws.  Have you had any of your manuscaripts critiqued by someone who will give you a honest opinion and make constructive suggestions?  Are you writing for a particular audience?  And do you tailor your work to this demograph?  Is your work original or is  it just a trite carbon copy of what's already out there.  These are the things that a critic or a genuine literary agent would look for in assessing your manuscripts.  There are vanity agencies out there who require a fee and who will tell you what you want to hear because they want your money. As i said, writing is not an easy profession to break into.  But you need to be ready if an opportunity comes your way.

@Troy As you know, the large cities of the midwest were where blacks from  Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama and Arkansas headed for during the Great Migration. They brought their ways and traditions with them and passed them on to the next generation. My parents came to Chicago from Kansas and Tennessee.  i did notice subtle difference between them and those who came to this big city from other places. My father never tasted chitlins until he came to Chicago. i never had grits until i got married.  (They were a favorite of my husband whose family was from Mississippi. ) There were a lot of other things that were common to people from these states that were not common to my family.   

• Like 1

@Delano, because I was thinking that it wasn't regarding screenwriting. I seen most of the post were about other fields of writing. I'll look back into it though.

@Cynique, Even though it's not much stuff in my field on here, I like the idea of being in something a little different. It's good for balance, my balance anyway. And absolutely, I've had lots of criticism and feedback. Since I first started back in 2012, lol (boy we came a long way). And all of it has made me the writer I am today. I do have like two screenwriters that's familiar with my work that I share with. One recently praised my writing. I even used a script consultant one time (won't be anymore) who I kept in touch with. And when I went to Full Sail University (graduated June 2017), which was where I was in a hands-on environment and they treated the classrooms like the professional writing spaces. There was lots of critiques and feedback flying around.

Regarding my writing, I write character-driven drama films focused around the young black man to give our society a different viewpoint of who we are and to show that we’re living humans like everyone else. I don't see the young black man's voice reflected on screen, unless it's something along the lines of slave, drug dealer, dead-beat, victim, killed, poor, ignorant, buffoon. There's so much more to us than those things, and I want to be the one who leads the charge in reflecting all the other aspects of the young black man and what we're capable of. I also want to tackle issues within our culture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Antonio IngramI just realised what bothered me about your post. It was self promotion. I would have probably been less annoyed if you had mentioned anything about forming a collective or building with other people. And Even though I generally disagree with Pioneer. I believe he generally wants to improve the lives of other Black people. I would say that is true of Troy Mel and Cynique. Since they  have all offered suggestion to improve the situation of individuals and groups. Or put forth an idea or a question that extends beyond themselves. One of the forums has an article on the difficulties facing Black Authors, yeah it is  from 2012 and is more aligned with your query. Perhaps you are unconsciously self serving because you are hungry. Yeah I know that hunger. Like when you eat food you don't like an it's delicious.

Perhaps I am wrong. Again I leave that for others to determine.

@Pioneer man I am enjoying how wrong you are in your conclusions. Troy and I met because I worked in the computer Lab helping students. I was a tutor. Your suggestion is to start a school. No, can you imagine the regulations from the White Establishment. No thanks, I just try to ask a question or make a statement that makes a person think. However that is lost on people that have no interest in thinking. That post wasn't about bragging about my job. The cats in the mail room were cool with me because when the came to drop off the mail. I didn't ignore them they way some professional ignore non professionals. No I was bragging about being open democratic and non judgemental. Saying I flew to Switzerland for the weekend to see a friends Art show. That's bragging.

I haven't had a lot of time to read through this entire exchange but let me say.................

It seems to me that Antonio had a DUAL purpose for coming to this site and coming to this section of the site.

To seek advice on writing AND to seek comfort and understanding from among people he feels SHOULD be getting both from....other professional Black people!

There's nothing wrong with that...in my opinion.

For one thing....
From what I see the Culture, Race, and Economy section is the most popular section of this site and has the most traffic, so OFCOURSE someone who is looking for the most attention for what they have on their mind would come HERE to get their issue addressed by as many minds as possible.

It only makes sense.

But more to the companionship and the solace of finding other Black people, especially professional Black people to share your frustrations with.....where else can Black men and women go to get that?

• Thanks 1