The is Great Video Featuring Black Women

I discovered this video reading an article about Vertamae Smart-Grosvenor on Munchies 

I'm still listening to it -- not even halfway through (Nikki Giovanni just read a poet to and for Lena Horne and they just started a conversation.  This is just a great video featuring different Black women in conversation, singing, dancing, poetry -- a terrific compilation and demonstrates why we need Black media.

The following a from the video description on Youtube:

Inspired by the book by Chester Higgins, this special episode of Black Journal features a discussion between Joan Harris, Vertamae Grosvenor, Martha Davis, Marian Watson and Amma Baraka. A separate conversation between Nikki Giovanni and Lena Horne. Poetry by Giovanni, Sonia Sanchez and Kali. Plus performances by Roberta Flack, Loretta Abbott and Novella Nelson. Interview with Albert Cleage, Jr. of the Black Madonna Church. Executive Produced by Tony Brown. Directed by Stan Lathan.

• Like 1

An extraordinary video in that almost 50 years later the questions raised back then are still timely.  it's why i am so jaded because everything being said today,  I've heard before. Been there, done that.  And still that rift between black men and women exists and the relationship between black people and the white society remains problematic.  Sometimes, the more things change, the more they become the same. 5a8dd29de5d05_militantconnie.jpg.b2130c0bffc0f98343bc7a212bf19a5b.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Cynique, maybe that is what I found appealing.  I never saw anything like this before.  I would rather see programming ike this than see the new Black Panther flick (or any film from Disney).  

Today these types of conversation are not even being had -- at least not to the degree that they were 50 years ago.  This type of TV programming was a special broadcast of the Tony Brown's Journal, which was on TV at the same time that Gil Noble's Like It Is broadcast.  In my mind, this was the pinnacle of Black TV.  If anything came close to it today I'm not aware of it -- if you are please share.

• Like 1