Slavery. A. Choice,Kanye West????

Entertainer. Kanye. West. ,Said. Slavery. Is  A. Choice.  There. Is,A. Uproar,Backlash.  Some. Have. Said. Kanye  Should. Shut The,  F----Up..He. Said. Black. People. Should. Not. Be. In, Mentally Slavery. Another. 400 Years...I. Do. Not. Which. Is. Worse,Kanye. West. Or ,Ben. Carson. Saying. Slaves,We're,Immigrants..Ben. Carson. Seem. To. Want. The. Price. Of. Housing. For. The. Poor. To. Go.  Up..I. Will. Say. This,Black. People. Enslave. Themselves,And. Are. Enslaved,By,So. Called. Community. Leaders...Church. Preachers. Enslave. The. Souls. Of. Black. People. Each. Day..  Poverty. All. Around. The. Church,Preacher. Has. A. New. Car,In. The.  Church   Yard.  Preacher. And. His. Wife. Both,Drive. New. Cars...Did. Pimp. Preacher. Creflo. Dollar,Get,His. Personal. Jet. Plane?  Crack. Houses,Enslave. The. Souls. And. Mind. Of. The. Crack. Addict..Street. Gangs,slaughter. Black. People. In. The. Streets...How. Many,Preachers. Live. In. Mansions,Drive. Rich. Cars?Moral-Obligation Talker. John. Lewis,Not. Word. About. Corrupt. Preachers. ,Arrested. For. Stealing,Killing. Their. Wives,Caught,With. Prostitutes...Community. Leaders. Act. Like,Slave. Holders....Some. Black. People. Are. Like. Kanye West. And. Ben. Carson.  Some. Black. Icons. Are. In. The. Past. Kanye.  West. Said. . Saw. This. Discussion. On. CNN. Don. Lemon....Amazing. How. Things. Have. Gotten....Does. Pimp,Preacher. T.  D.  Jake's. Have. A. Plane?.I. Think. Kanye-West. Said. Black. People. Should. Stop   Talking. About. Slavery....

It sounds like Kanye is going (already went?) off the rails....lol.

But after hearing what he said in context, I KIND OF understood what he meant or was trying to say.

It was more of a message of responsibility in the sense that Black people couldn't help being taken captive and brought to America as slaves but during those 400 years you had plenty of time to think about it and choose to become

I can't find his entire set of tweets dealing with the issue right now, the only thing they're putting on line was his "slavery is a choice tweet".

Kanye isn't helping himself with his silliness, but clearly much of his words and actions are taken out of contexts and isolated to make him look more irrational than he already is.

Kanye West is reminiscent of a Black gambler in a horse racing stand with the only red ticket on the only horse he's allowed to bet on. Waiting his entire life for his horse to come in with enthusiasm, optimism, and vigor no matter who says what. DT is the only horse he has faith in. And we can't blame him for trying, is common among young Black men blinded but the glitter of it all. He's the classic example of the modern Black male 'consumerist.'

In his Book "The Soul of Black Folk," W.E.B. Du Bois described how Black young men, after working 14-20 hours per-day, seven days per week, to earn $1.50 would spend 2/3rds of their pay to ride a horse and bugger from one end of town to the other, again and again just to be seen by people. West is like a little boy who took the "Art of the Deal" to literal and who sees his horse over any and all better judgement. Only he's an adult man who wants to be more than he is. We follow in any direction White folk shine the light, we want the same material goods as they have. PART OF OUR DOWN FALL.

• Like 1

Guest Queen X

Dr.Ben Carson said that black slaves were immigrants. Now Kanye West said they came here by choice.What's wrong with these two brothers.Don't they

read Black History or do they?All that rebellion on those slave ships doesn't look like choice to me or a luxury liner either.

Why are so many Black folks running around repetitive West's asinine statements?

I know why the so called news media do it -- the celebrity dysfunction drives readers, viewers, and traffic. 

Of course the BS Kanye West spouts off is Twitter's bread and butter.  Were it not for 45 and the lunacy of the Kanye, Twitter would be largely irrelevant.  

What bothers me is that we going around discussing Kayne statements as if they are relevant.  All his does is raise the profiles of stupid remarks and uplifts Twitter so that they can become even more effective at propagating more nonsense.  It bothers me because all our attention, energy, and money is diverted from things that matter much more -- things that would actually benefit ourselves and Black people.  

It is a zero sum game; we can't do both.

Yes, brother Troy, the 'celebritymentality is also part of the 'glitter' I mentioned, only without the rewards. I agree we've already given enough attention to idiots like West. Unfortunately, we Black folk, hungry to be in the know adhere to news without knowing how to digest such information critically and speculatively. Mostly, we only reinforce the White agenda. 

Over the past year I've used Twitter, and Facebook, to only reiterate White news that I feel is important enough to express my views, maybe change a Black mind or two in the process. I never expect to be successful or look for anyone to be enlightened. Which is what draws to the likes of sister Cynique, to tell it like it is. Tactfully but without concern for how people take it.

This is where we are in this modern age of technology; where misinformation, disinformation is well disguised in the form of what's been made-up, to be perceived as important. Another reason I think higher education is so crucial. At least if it doesn't make us think for ourselves, such exposure will make more rational.

Today, we listen and read in the manner laid-out for us, made important for us. You're dead on! Uh oh, I pray my pessimism isn't rubbing off on you!

@Queen X: What we are witnessing, I think, is desperate Black brothers doing all they can do, or all they think they can do to assimilate, blend in; stand out for survival. But stupidity and desperation always lead to disaster. It's the human way, you know? Even if they don't read Black history, it doesn't matter because they live the Black life but ignore it for what they believe is a better life. 

As I've alluded to in other posts on this site, we've traded our search for a better life in exchange for material wealth, consumerism. maybe that's the true beast everybody's talking about. Which may or may not be a bad thing. Though it certainly has distracted us from something more important.

• Thanks 1

Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote a piece in The Atlantic on West recently entitled "I'm not Black, I'm Kanye: Kanye Wants Freedom, White Freedom."

A short story in The American Scholar: entitled Kanye and Ta-Nehisi .”

"Kanye west, a god in this time, awakened, recently, from a long public slumber to embrace Donald Trump. He hailed Trump, as a “brother,” a fellow bearer of “dragon energy,” and impugned those who objected as suppressors of “unpopular questions,” “thought police” whose tactics were “based on fear.” It was Trump, West argued, not Obama, who gave him hope that a black boy from the South Side of Chicago could be president. “Remember like when I said I was gonna run for president?,” Kanye said in an interview with the radio host Charlamagne Tha God. “I had people close to me, friends of mine, making jokes, making memes, talking shit. Now it’s like, oh, that was proven that that could have happened.”

"There is an undeniable logic here. Like Trump, West is a persistent bearer of slights large and small—but mostly small. (Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Barack Obama, and Nike all came in for a harangue.) Like Trump, West is narcissistic, “the greatest artist of all time,” he claimed, helming what would soon be “the biggest apparel company in human history.” And, like Trump, West is shockingly ignorant. Chicago was “the murder capital of the world,” West asserted, when in fact Chicago is not even the murder capital of America. West’s ignorance is not merely deep, but also dangerous. For if Chicago truly is “the murder capital of the world,” then perhaps it is in need of the federal occupation threatened by Trump.

It is so hard to honestly discuss the menace without forgetting. It is hard because what happened to America in 2016 has long been happening in America, before there was an America, when the first Carib was bayoneted and the first African delivered up in chains. It is hard to express the depth of the emergency without bowing to the myth of past American unity, when in fact American unity has always been the unity of conquistadors and colonizers—unity premised on Indian killings, land grabs, noble internments, and the gallant General Lee. Here is a country that specializes in defining its own deviancy down so that the criminal, the immoral, and the absurd become the baseline, so that even now, amidst the long tragedy and this lately disaster, the guardians of truth rally to the liar’s flag.

Nothing is new here. The tragedy is so old, but even within it there are actors—some who’ve chosen resistance, and some, like West, who, however blithely, have chosen collaboration."