Sign in to follow this  
harry brown

JOHN. SINGLETON ,DEAD AT,51

Movie. Director.  John. Singletons. Has. Died.  Most. Known. Fir,His,Movie. Boyz  In.  The Hood.  He. Was. The. First.  African-American. Director. And.  Youngest. To. Be. Nominated. For. A,Oscar-Award.  He. Also. Made    Poetic  Justice  And  Higher  ,Learning...He,Was,Influential. And  A  Industry. Pioneer.. .He  ,Born,In,South    Los  Angeles..He Was  A  Talented  Man....News,Said,He,Was  51...

So young too...

As I learned of Singleton's passing, my sister-in-law passed under similar circumstances. She too was what I consider young -- early 50s. A poker buddy passed a few weeks ago (early 60's).  If seems the older I get the more people around me die.

I heard Smokey Robin say, during the Sam Cooke documentary, that Aretha was his "oldest living friend." Of course she too is now dead... I hear one of the hardest things about growing old is losing family and friends. 

Life really is quite fleeting.  I guess one of the advantages of growing old(er) is the realization almost nothing we stress over is not worth the energy. 

Live Long and Prosper Y'all 🖖🏾

• Like 3

All of these observations are something i can relate to. Of late i am consumed by melancholy and jolted by the relentless thud of another one biting the dust.

As A.E. Housman so succinctly put it; 

With rue my heart is laden, 

for golden friends i had,

for many a rose-lipped maiden,

and many a light-foot lad.

By brooks too broad for leaping,

the light-foot lads are laid, 

And the rose-lipped maids are sleeping

in fields where roses fade...

• Like 3

A.E.'s powm is nice.

@Cynique this line:

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

...the relentless thud of another one biting the dust.

Is foreboding and a bit misanthropic.

Growing old is not for the faint of heart huh? My recently deceased sister in law leaves behind her mother, who has already buried two husbands. I can't image what she must be feeling...

• Like 1

"Life is a journey that is homeward bound". Some folks reach their final destination quicker than others.  It's all about Fate, i guess, and taking time to smell the flowers along the way.  

• Like 1