The Average HS Student is as Anxious as the Average Psychiatric Patient from the 50s

Ofcourse, because the average highschool student today is on as much MEDICATION as the average psychiatric patient from the 50s!

Look at all of the medicine these kids are taking for autism, ADD, ADHD, manic-depression (bipolar), and other psychological problems.....and smoking weed on top of all of it!

Besides all of this medication, I think the biggest cause of this anxiety is coming from their overwhelming use of social media such as facebook and Twitter.
Most of these kids are totally addicted to it and their life revolves around it.
Many of them rarely have actual human CONTACT.

Another thing I've noticed is that the boys today take FAR LESS social risks today than they did when I was a kid. Approaching females and risking rejection just to be clowned on by some of your boys was actually part of the FUN when I was a kid, but now these boys are so sensitive that they are afraid of rejection and would rather stay in thier tight little circle of friends from school all the way up to adulthood rather than take the risk of meeting new people.

The relative mental health of people from different ages is interesting. I'm not convinced it is true -- at least not for Black kids.

Ingoring the fact I came of age in one of NYC's ghettos when crime was rampant. I never had to go to war. I never really had to worry about getting lynched for looking at a white woman sideways. I never had to watch my woman raped or see my kids sold off by a white man who owned me. I never had to worry about shelter, where my next meal was coming from or being eaten by a wild animal.

This high level of anxiety is not a Black problem. Most guys my age would much rather have their kids lifestyle than their parents -- am I lying?

AfroAmerican kids are very stressed out, they just express their anxiety differently than White kids.

It's like those stats that claim that AfroAmerican girls have much higher self esteem and body images than White girls because very few of them suffer from anorexia or bulimia.
That's not true at all.

Most AfroAmerican girls have FAR less self esteem when it comes to their bodies than most White girls and the fact that they DON'T engage in many crazy diets and tend to eat what they want without obsessing over being "pretty" is evidence that many of them feel so hoplessly unattractive and beyond the standards of beauty in this society that they don't even see a need to compete.  VERY low self esteem can make it to where you'll just GIVE UP and not care about your looks or body image.

AfroAmerican kids are stressed out with the violence in their communitys along with being socially segregated by Asian, East Indian, and Arab students who in schools and universities often times have nothing to do with THEM but will readily be friends with White kids.  Being told that you're not wanted or not worthy to hang around is damaging to the self esteem of most kids.
AfroAmericans are often socially isolated in school and in society in general by other races and ethnic groups.

AfroAmericans are just trained not to complain or "cry" about their frustrations because they figure no one will care or listen to them anyway....let alone do something to aleve their frustrations.
They learn to "suck it up" at an early age and move on.

I don't fundamental disagree with anything you just wrote @Pioneer1 my point deal with the relative level of stress experiences by Black teens today compared to Black kids in the 60s.

Would you rather be a kid in the 1950s jim crow south or be a kid today living today in ATL, Charlotte, or Austin?  Who do you think had more stress? 

Now I can see white teens being more stressed today than they were in the 50s  but Black kids I dunno know. 

Of course there are exceptions. I know, for example, it was much more stressful for me growing up surrounded by crime, drugs, and crooked cops, than it would have been for some kid growing up in the 50s in the segregated south. A kid who had no reason to engage with white folks.  Who never needed to lock a door, enjoyed fresh air, and fresh food.

Now that I think more about it, I can see where the average kid today might be under more stress than I was or a kid or one from my parent's generation.  I did not have to worry about social media, I was not the target of aggressive marketers trying to get me to buy everything (marketing to children was only just starting) , I did not have to worry about global warming, obesity, AIDS, terrorism, etc... 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Troy said:

I don't fundamental disagree with anything you just wrote @Pioneer1 my point deal with the relative level of stress experiences by Black teens today compared to Black kids in the 60s.

Would you rather be a kid in the 1950s jim crow south or be a kid today living today in ATL, Charlotte, or Austin?  Who do you think had more stress? 

Now I can see white teens being more stressed today than they were in the 50s  but Black kids I dunno know. 

No of course they are exceptions. I know for example it was much more stressful for me growing up surrounded by crime, drugs and crooked cops, than it would have been for some kid growing up in the 50s, in the segregated south who had no reason to engage with white folks.  Who never needed to lock a door, enjoyed fresh air, and fresh food.

Now that I think more about it, I can see where the average kid today might be under more stress than I was or a kid or one from my parent's generation.  I did not have to worry about social media, I was not the target of aggressive marketers trying to get me to buy everything (marketing to children was only just starting) , I did not have to worry about global warming, obesity, AIDS, terrorism, etc... 

:D Sounds like YOU did a better job changing your own mind than I did.....lol.

What an interesting convo between Pioneer 1 and Troy. One wherein  I await with anticipation for ChevDove and/or Mel to enjoin. It will be instructive to see if they/either share such sad, abysmal opinions of black women's psyches and physical attractiveness. As for the average black student being stressed out because some Asian and/or other minority student doesn't want to be their friend (lol!), I beg to disagree. Most blacks go to segregated high schools in the first place, thus have no non-white co-eds to stress about -- and if they have black friends, why would they??? --- and I've never met a college student who gave a fig what Asian and other impotent minority students thought of them to begin with. Very few people became stressed out by people who not only can't give them a job, but have no ability to harm them, at all.

Well I'm glad you contributed FAS I'll tag @Chevdove and @Mel Hopkins to that they see your comments.

As far as Black girls being influenced by non-black images of beauty.  They don't have to come into direct contact with these images to be influenced by them  Between TV, physical advertisements, and social media.  They are inundated with images that reject Black beauty in favor of eurocentric standards.  Of course Mel and Chevdove will disagree citing themselves as example to the contrary.

People who grew up before TV's were in everyone's hand did not have to deal with the stress these images caused and if they grew up in a segregated community this tyope of stress was virtually nonexistent.

Sure, Black people in the 50's may have had to deal with issues of skin color within our community, but that was probably not as bad as trying to keep with up with the impossible to maintain hair, clothing, and weight standards while some other corporations are selling you food to make you fatter and depressing wages so that you can't afford the clothing and salon some corporations makes you feel compelled to go to.  It is no wonder white folks are OD'ing on Oxycodone.

@Pioneer1 yeah I changed my mind.  I also see that you liked my last post -- you really have changed since Cynique left :-)

5 hours ago, Guest FAS said:

they/either share such sad, abysmal opinions of black women's psyches and physical attractiveness.

Thank you @Troy  and Guest FAS! 

I can't speak for every black women but I sure don't share @Pioneer1 's opinion as it relates to black girls and women. 

I haven't met  black women or girls who even look to Anglo women as the bastion of beauty.  Throughout the ages, most women attempted to look Black -and were and are willing to pay to  tan, get large butts, full lips, wide eyes, high cheek bones, be wrinkle-free  etc.  Even in the victorian age - large foreheads and wide hips were in fashion based on African women's natural... and let's not forget in the 50s and 60s perms to get curly hair were all the rage, 

From what I've witnessed growing up - there has never been a rush to look Anglo.  Black women really like they way the look and in all sizes.   Maybe some women lighten their brown skin but most of the time, it appears they do it to  attract certain black men who fetish women with light skin.   Nah, our looks are appropriated by women throughout the world, so no. We may have anxiety and stress but I doubt it's attributed to our looks. 

• Like 1

FAS

It will be instructive to see if they/either share such sad, abysmal opinions of black women's psyches and physical attractiveness.

What did I say about the physical attractiveness of Black women that was sad and abysmal?

My statements were focused on how they felt about THEMSELVES; I don't remember commenting at all about their looks or attractiveness.

for the average black student being stressed out because some Asian and/or other minority student doesn't want to be their friend (lol!), I beg to disagree. Most blacks go to segregated high schools in the first place, thus have no non-white co-eds to stress about -- and if they have black friends, why would they???

As you point out, most AfroAmericans go to segregated schools.....another example of other races not wanting to be around us or have their children around ours....so ofcourse many Black students don't notice this contempt others may have for them. However when they get into the universities and see how so few other groups are willing to date or socialize with them THAT'S when the reality hits hard.

Nobody lives on this planet and simply "doesn't care" what other's think about them.

Very few people became stressed out by people who not only can't give them a job, but have no ability to harm them, at all.

In many of the major cities of the United States today, Asians and Whites are the primary business owners and are incharge of employing most AfroAmericans.

In many of the major cities of the United States there is a large and well documented history of Arab and Latinos attacking and harming AfroAmericans.
Many AfroAmericans have been literally driven out of formerly all Black neighborhoods in Los Angeles by racist Latinos.

Mel

I haven't met black women or girls who even look to Anglo women as the bastion of beauty. Throughout the ages, most women attempted to look Black -and were and are willing to pay to tan, get large butts, full lips, wide eyes, high cheek bones, be wrinkle-free etc. Even in the victorian age - large foreheads and wide hips were in fashion based on African women's natural... and let's not forget in the 50s and 60s perms to get curly hair were all the rage,

From what I've witnessed growing up - there has never been a rush to look Anglo. Black women really like they way the look and in all sizes. Maybe some women lighten their brown skin but most of the time, it appears they do it to attract certain black men who fetish women with light skin. Nah, our looks are appropriated by women throughout the world, so no. We may have anxiety and stress but I doubt it's attributed to our looks.

I understand what you're saying, but how do you explain Serena Williams, Beyonce, Mary J. Blidge, and Wendy Williams.....4 very prominent AfroAmerican women.....who not only STRAIGHTEN their hair from it's natural curly African texture but also DYE THEIR HAIR BLONDE from it's original darker hue?

Image result for beyonceImage result for serena william

Image result for mary j blige

Image result for wendy williams

Surely women who are proud of their African looks and ancestry wouldn't alter their physical appearance to characteristics almost exclusely found in Caucasian women unless they saw these characteristics as superior.

If AfroAmerican women weren't stressed about their looks why is it that Koreans are getting rich from selling millions if not billions of dollars in haircare products to AfroAmericans?

Very low self esteem.

51 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

...but how do you explain Serena Williams, Beyonce, Mary J. Blidge, and Wendy Williams

Buddy we've been down this road:

We'll describe Bkack women as seeking white standards of beauty due to centuries of indoctrination.

The women will say it has nothing to with indoctrination, or self hate  it is a matter of choice. Women are free to style their hair anyway they please and men have no say in the matter.

We'll argue that position is a direct consequence of being oppressed by Europeans for hundreds of years. 

This notion will be rejected on the basis that men are clueless and even argue if some women choose straight blond weaves/wigs it is because this is what Black men want.

We'll attempt to soften our approach and explain that Black women's natural hair is beautiful and that they even more beautiful went they style their hair naturally.

The ladies will reject this as well citing how natural styles are not accepted in the work place and most brothers, if they are honest, really don't want their women sporting natural styles.

Meanwhile the Koreans who own the beauty supply stores grow rich in our communities and Black women are more stressed today than in the 50s...

Troy

The way you just rehearsed and role played the entire scenario, I think you've discovered a new talent in yourself !

If they want to be President...Kamala and Cory Booker need to hire YOU as a political stategist and debate coach.....lol.

BTW, I've been "liking" and awarding people's post for the last couple of months.
It's had nothing to do with Cynique's leaving but came after realizing how arrogant and selfish I was after reviewing the thread in which I was wrong about who invented the "turn table". 

We black women straighten hair or we don’t.  We color our hair or we don’t. Sometimes in the same week! 

25ebbada-912b-4347-b0ab-564a5354fb12.jpg

Beyonce at the Lion King Premiere 2019, Serena Williams at the royal wedding  2018.  Mary J Blige (undated)

BUT 

Women worldwide change their literal body parts to look like black women.

So, that makes black women the standard.  

There is no low self-esteem when the world wants to look like you.

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Add Photo of Celebrities Hair styles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

FAS

It will be instructive to see if they/either share such sad, abysmal opinions of black women's psyches and physical attractiveness.

What did I say about the physical attractiveness of Black women that was sad and abysmal?

My statements were focused on how they felt about THEMSELVES; I don't remember commenting at all about their looks or attractiveness.

-----------------------------------------

[b=This is what you said:[/b]

Most AfroAmerican girls have FAR less self esteem when it comes to their bodies than most White girls and the fact that they DON'T engage in many crazy diets and tend to eat what they want without obsessing over being "pretty" is evidence that many of them feel so hoplessly unattractive and beyond the standards of beauty in this society that they don't even see a need to compete.  VERY low self esteem can make it to where you'll just GIVE UP and not care about your looks or body image.

In the above you deny the beauty and body esteem not only black women, but countless studies have said is so. Black women, even those who look like one of Bey-Bey's kids, THINK they look good. Studies say they're HAPPY with their bodies. Your opinion says social scientists and the women, themselves are liars. In your view, no one who looks like a sister could possibly think they look good. And that's sad, abysmal.....

for the average black student being stressed out because some Asian and/or other minority student doesn't want to be their friend (lol!), I beg to disagree. Most blacks go to segregated high schools in the first place, thus have no non-white co-eds to stress about -- and if they have black friends, why would they???

As you point out, most AfroAmericans go to segregated schools.....another example of other races not wanting to be around us or have their children around ours....so ofcourse many Black students don't notice this contempt others may have for them. However when they get into the universities and see how so few other groups are willing to date or socialize with them THAT'S when the reality hits hard.

-----------------------------

The point was not segregated schools. That's simply a fact that refutes your contention that:

AfroAmerican kids are stressed out with,,,, being socially segregated by Asian, East Indian, and Arab students who in schools and universities often times have nothing to do with THEM but will readily be friends with White kids.  Being told that you're not wanted or not worthy to hang around is damaging to the self esteem of most kids.

I have never known any black kid to be 'stressed out' because a Chinese kid wanted nothing to do with them.  Nor an Arab. Especially in high school where the MAJORITY of black kids are IN the majority in their respective schools, e.g., they, the black kids, are the jocks, the cheerleaders; they are the "most popular." Who cares about being seen with a Chinese kid when they can party with the black Captain of the Football team? As for college, please, link one study, even an ARTICLE! that agrees that black coeds are "stressed out" because Asians and Arabs socially isolate THEMSELVES, not the blacks, but their OWN yellow and brown selves. As for dating outside their respective races, the fact remains - when black men marry, 9 out of 10 marry black women. In short, in this day and age, there is no shortage of  women of all races who desire black men, yet moreso than any minority, brothers CHOOSE sisters to mate with.

Very few people became stressed out by people who not only can't give them a job, but have no ability to harm them, at all.

In many of the major cities of the United States today, Asians and Whites are the primary business owners and are incharge of employing most AfroAmericans.

-----------------------------------------

Please give a link to where Asians hire any black people, anywhere; at home or abroad.

I reiterate: Who cares what people think who can't give you a job (and in the case of Asians, won't because they give most of their jobs to their immigrant relatives - 57% of all immigrants are Asian) and.... since they're only 6% of the population, less than half the number of blacks.... can't harm you?

----------------------------------------------

In many of the major cities of the United States there is a large and well documented history of Arab and Latinos attacking and harming AfroAmericans.
Many AfroAmericans have been literally driven out of formerly all Black neighborhoods in Los Angeles by racist Latinos.

Your contention was that black kids are stressed out because Asians and Arabs socially isolate, don't want to date, them, etc. The above is another topic.

Troy

Yeah I like Kamala. She got that good hair

Man, you crazy as hell.....lol.

Kamala really isn't a bad looking sister when you look right at her but for some reason she doesn't give off any sexual vibes......unlike Michelle Obama who DOES give off sexual vibes.

Mel

Women worldwide change their literal body parts to look like black women.

This is true.
However this fact still doesn't negate or dispute the FACT that most AfroAmerican females suffer from low self esteem.
How others feel about you doesn't always coincide with how you feel about yourself. 

Also, keep in mind self esteem and self worth is more than just about looks and whether or not you see yourself as sexually attractive. There are plenty of people who KNOW they look good and are attractive but still have very low self esteem and see themselves as worthless or unworthy.

The fact that many young AfroAmerican girls have babies when they're not ready because they want someone to love and need them is evidence of them feeling unloved and even unworthy of love.
They know they are sexually attractive and can get a man to sleep with them but they still have low esteem.

Many AfroAmerican women refer to themselves and eachother as "real bitch" and "bad ass bitch" which they may claim is a term of endearment but really denotes a FEELING of moral inferiority or feeling that they are so low and unvirtuous that they may as well embrace their immorality.

The psychological damage so many AfroAmerican women suffer from in this society is terrifyingly extensive.

FAS

In the above you deny the beauty and body esteem not only black women, but countless studies have said is so. Black women, even those who look like one of Bey-Bey's kids, THINK they look good. Studies say they're HAPPY with their bodies. Your opinion says social scientists and the women, themselves are liars.

1. BEAUTY and BODY ESTEEM are two different concepts that you seem to be merging together and confusing and further projecting my analysis on your confusion.

My comments were on the body esteem (self image) of AfroAmerican women which is generally poor in comparison to Caucasian women in this society.....not their actual beauty which in it's natural state surpasses that of Caucasian women.

2. Yes....I'm saying that for the most part BOTH the so-called "social scientists" as well as the women themselves are LYING.

How many adults have you ever met who admitted they thought of themselves as "ugly" or "stupid" or "evil" even when it's clear by their behavior that this is how they REALLY thought of themselves?

People can SAY what they like but all it takes is a little insight and experience to tell whether or not someone really values themselves or has a poor image of themselves despite their defense mechanisms.

In your view, no one who looks like a sister could possibly think they look good. And that's sad, abysmal..... 

Oh, is that my view?
Well thanks for assigning it to me.....lol.

I have never known any black kid to be 'stressed out' because a Chinese kid wanted nothing to do with them. Nor an Arab. Especially in high school where the MAJORITY of black kids are IN the majority in their respective schools, e.g., they, the black kids, are the jocks, the cheerleaders; they are the "most popular." Who cares about being seen with a Chinese kid when they can party with the black Captain of the Football team? As for college, please, link one study, even an ARTICLE! that agrees that black coeds are "stressed out" because Asians and Arabs socially isolate THEMSELVES, not the blacks, but their OWN yellow and brown selves.

Again, your focus is on highschool which is more of a local microcosm......but as I said when these children venture out into the REAL world and have to interact with those outside of their community that's when the reality of racism and social isolation slaps them in the face.
If you think AfroAmericans are perfectly happy living in a society where  racial and ethnic groups chases after Caucasian friendship and acceptance while simultaneously  shunning AfroAmericans, you don't know how human psychology operates.

But speaking of highschool.......
I'm not sure what highschools you've visited lately but when you speak of Black children being jocks and cheerleaders it sound like the OLD days when AfroAmerican children were in much better shape and had a better diet.
Go to most highschools in America today and most of the AfroAmerican children are NOT cheerleading or playing any other type of organized sport.   Infact most can't even swim.

While these White boys and girls are running around playing soccer, lacrosse, on the row team, diving team, and all types of other sports.....many of our children are obese and out of shape compared to children of other races and the problem is getting worse in many AfroAmerican communities because the children are being taught they should be PROUD of obesity and embrace a culture of eating whatever they want.

Where I live you see a constant herd of young White students running around the neighborhood with their shirts off practicing for track and other competitions.....when was the last time you seen groups of AfroAmerican children jogging together?

Your contention was that black kids are stressed out because Asians and Arabs socially isolate, don't want to date, them, etc. The above is another topic.  

Actually that was just ONE of a list of reasons I gave for why so many AfroAmerican children were stressed out.
Violence, unstable households, misdiagnosed psychiatric problems and unnecessary medication are other reasons.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:24 PM, Guest FAS said:

What an interesting convo between Pioneer 1 and Troy. One wherein  I await with anticipation for ChevDove and/or Mel to enjoin.

Oh no! I now have to go back and re-read! I skimmed over the comments. LOL. But at first glance, I have to tell you, I did not agree for the most part. Okay so here I go, looking back over the comments. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, Troy said:

This high level of anxiety is not a Black problem.

Okay this comment makes me understand from @Pioneer1 perspective when he wroter about, sort of like-- 'throwing the towel in, so-to-speak and feeling a sense of doom, [ie I don't agree completely about it being 'a Black-woman thing]. I don't believe that Black people do NOT have an anxiety problem but perhaps based on some of the issues @Troy mentioned that Black people have collectively been through such as seeing their women raped or their kids sold off into slavery and etc., has caused a sense of doom that goes deeper than anxiety--a sort of resignation.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, Troy said:

Most guys my age would much rather have their kids lifestyle than their parents -- am I lying?

I think that is because, we may have been conditioned to see the past horrors but also conditioned to NOT see our present status as being all that bad perhaps. For many, today is much better than the past, but hey, in some regards, we may have been sort of 'dumbed down' too. We too, maybe NOT showing outwardly anxiety about life today, but it could be a sort of resignation.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:07 PM, Pioneer1 said:

AfroAmerican kids are very stressed out, they just express their anxiety differently than White kids.

@Pioneer1 Yes, I agree partially. Each group may show stressed differently based on certain issues we are having to deal with on a cultural level.

...many of them feel so hoplessly unattractive and beyond the standards of beauty in this society that they don't even see a need to compete.  VERY low self esteem can make it to where you'll just GIVE UP and not care about your looks or body image.

"Hopelessly unattractive"!? LOL! That's just plain crazy!

"beyond standards of beauty in this society"!? No way, not today!

"Don't even see a need to compete." !? Compete for what!? and Compete against whom!?

Okay and this one just BLOWS ME AWAY! "They [Black Woman have] Very low self esteem can make it to where you'll just give up and not care about your looks or body image."

That is ridiculous. IMO Black women have been conditioned in America to aspire to certain beauty 'role models', whether they want to look like Diana Ross in those days or, Like Peggy Lipton, that means they have a lot of self esteem. Like most women of all cultures we have followed trends that may or may not be superficial, but that means Black women do care and get 'DOLLED UP' just like women in all cultures. 

AfroAmerican kids are stressed out with the violence in their communitys along with being socially segregated by Asian, East Indian, and Arab students

That is a joke, -- right? LOL.

AfroAmericans are often socially isolated in school and in society in general by other races and ethnic groups.

Now, I can absolutely understand this circumstance if a BLack person is the minority in a predominantly all-white school but, not if there are significant numbers of other Black students with the same culture. Like the other groups, Black students will 'group up'-- that is a natural process like the other cultures.

Like, 'who cares' if there are a significant percentage of Black students? Have you ever been a part of a school where this has happened? I have not.

AfroAmericans are just trained not to complain or "cry" about their frustrations because they figure no one will care or listen to them anyway....let alone do something to aleve their frustrations.

No, -- I disagree. LIKE ATTRACTS LIKE; meaning Black students will congregate to one another and they don't 'give up' or 'throw the towel in' and resign to feeling rejected by other groups in a school environment. However, on another level, I do feel that 'nationally' Black people do suffer from BLack Oppression by our government in certain ways and in terms of this thread beginning, about the teenages having anxiety like a psychotic person, I think Black kids and people do show anxiety in certain ways.

As for the average black student being stressed out because some Asian and/or other minority student doesn't want to be their friend (lol!), I beg to disagree.

There you go. 

and if they have black friends, why would they??? --- and I've never met a college student who gave a fig what Asian and other impotent minority students thought of them to begin with. Very few people became stressed out by people who not only can't give them a job, but have no ability to harm them, at all.

Yes. I agree.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Troy said:

They are inundated with images that reject Black beauty in favor of eurocentric standards.  Of course Mel and Chevdove will disagree citing themselves as example to the contrary.

@Troy I agree with you partially. I agree that Black women have been flooded with 'standard of beauty' that was not Afrocentric at some point, but not tody. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Troy said:

People who grew up before TV's were in everyone's hand did not have to deal with the stress these images caused and if they grew up in a segregated community this tyope of stress was virtually nonexistent.

Sure, Black people in the 50's may have had to deal with issues of skin color within our community, but that was probably not as bad as trying to keep with up with the impossible to maintain hair, clothing, and weight standards

I think all of this 'conditioning' is negative whether it came from our media, government or our own mothers rushing us to the sink to 'relax' our nappy heads. This kind of conditioning is superficial on many levels, not just 'to look European' here in America. The western world has taken beauty standards to another level, but beauty standards have been blown out of proportion long before too, imo. But when people have a cultural identity, this deflects a lot. And therefore, Black women today, are not so low with their esteem that they have anxiety problems. We, as a whole are healty to a point and have vanity just like other women do. We may have an inflated believe in that our RELAXED and PROCESSED hairstyles are awesome, or our AFROCENTRIC BRAIDS and Twist is the 'only way to go', but it's all vanity. Culturally though, I do think Black women have taken a hit in the past, but not today, so much as the past. 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Throughout the ages, most women attempted to look Black -and were and are willing to pay to  tan, get large butts, full lips, wide eyes, high cheek bones, be wrinkle-free  etc. 

@Mel Hopkins absolutely!

On 7/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, Pioneer1 said:

I understand what you're saying, but how do you explain Serena Williams, Beyonce, Mary J. Blidge, and Wendy Williams.....4 very prominent AfroAmerican women.....who not only STRAIGHTEN their hair from it's natural curly African texture but also DYE THEIR HAIR BLONDE from it's original darker hue?

@Pioneer1 They're style has nothing to do with low self esteem though. I do think that we have a significant problem with being 'conditioned to see European beauties today' to aspire to have that look and appeal, but it does not mean it is expressing low self esteem and 'giving up' not caring how bad 'they' look. It is seen as an enhancement, be that as it may, I agree that it is conditioning byway of media.

• Like 1

Surely women who are proud of their African looks and ancestry wouldn't alter their physical appearance to characteristics almost exclusely found in Caucasian women unless they saw these characteristics as superior.

I agree that some Black women are not 'proud of their African looks' but this is because of not being conditioned or educated to even know how to define this at some early point. In the 60s, I remember the CRM pushing Black dolls but the hairstyles 'African hairstyles' came later. I remember the 'BLACK HAIRSTYLES' of the day!-- It was little ponytail extensions that were curly-cues--STRAIGHT-TYPE-- SHIRLEY TEMPLE curls. And our mothers pulled our hair back in a knot and, with a small comb attached to the extension, shoved the ponytail in the back of our head, and then dress us in our Easter dress and off we went to say our Easter speeches. This pics were on the back of Church fans, and church programs. This was the African hairstyle... until Jayne Kennedy broke out with the 70s afro. So to a BLack girl, 'what is the African look'?

But then, later on came the jokes about extensions and etc. and in this, I agree with the 'blow to self-esteem'. I am aware of how Black girls, some Black girls, felt bad that they had 'bad hair' or 'no hair' because they butchered their hair with chemicals. But, by the time that I came along, in the 80s, I never went through that self-esteem issue that i witnessed a lot of my cousins and relatives express. I butchered my hair, but I never felt a sense of low self esteem as a result of doing this. 

If AfroAmerican women weren't stressed about their looks why is it that Koreans are getting rich from selling millions if not billions of dollars in haircare products to AfroAmericans?

Very low self esteem.

This is universal. It's vanity that exist amongst all women all over the world. Superficail beauty standards... trying to get to the river of youth that the angel stirred up... this is global. But again, every culture may have a distinct trend of trying reach a superficial 'beauty standard'. I remember some of White girls emptying a can of hair spray in the school bathroom trying to get that Farrah Fawcette 'wing style' or the ones in the 50s in the beauty shops trying to ge the Dianne Carroll stiff hairstyle look. And so, yes, Korean shops sell extensions that Black women buy, but Korean women spray the crap out of the hairspray too. They have to buy that product too. It's not all having an anxiety attack due to low self esteem, but it's the hairspray and extensions that give us the look we want and think is right. 

Chev & FAS

Well..............
I was only speaking based from what I've observed personally.

But I can't tell Black women or anyone else how THEY feel about themselves; so if you two say that AfroAmerican girls and women have high self esteem and feel better about themselves and their bodies than other women do, who am I to argue against it.

• Like 1