Tavis Smiley Must Pay $2.6 Million To PBS For Breaking Morals Clause

While updating my Top 50 Black-owned Websites page.  I noticed the Tavis Smiley story.  Given all the other crazy news today this story was buried. Shadow and Act a site that covers film and TV quoted Variety:

"In March, Smiley was found guilty of breaching his contract due to multiple affairs within the workplace. Earlier in January, an investigation commissioned by PBS found Smiley accused of enacting several types of misconduct, including verbal abuse and sexual harassment."

This is beyond unfortunate.  The Brother had so much potential. He could not keep his d*ck in his pants for 5 minutes?  Why is he sexually harassing people? SMH...

Troy

Man.....
Now you know good and well you posted this thread JUST to rile me up.....lol.

He could not keep his d*ck in his pants for 5 minutes?

Why should he?
He's a professional heterosexual AfroAmerican man who has a successful career and is good at what he does.

Why shouldn't he be rewarded with all the sex he wants?

Why is he sexually harassing people?

I followed the story somewhat.
From what I've heard and read I don't believe he actually "harassed" anyone.
People just think it's inappropriate because he was in a position of power over those women and they saw it as taking "advantage" of them.

I don't look at it that way because I don't see sex as harm or necessarily as exploitation.

I've helped women out for sex and/or sexual favors.
I see no problem with it.

You want me to shovel your snow, paint your house, help mentor your son or help get him out of trouble?
You don't have any money, can't cook, but offer me SEX instead?

OK

In many cases I'd do it for free as a favor but in some cases I won't do it UNLESS you pay be back with a sexual favor.
It just depends.

Women have been using SEX to get favors from men since the beginning of humanity.

Now many of our people would be SHOCKED to hear that...lol.
Because of their twisted morals....they see that as "taking advantage" of someone rather than seeing it as a form of trade or bartering.

Tavis is not a married man and didn't take a vow of celibacy.
I have no problem with him screwing all the women he wants for whatever reasons he chooses or they choose....as long as it's not forced.

My question is why in the HELL is PBS.....a network that promotes homosexuality on a regular basis....having "morality clauses" in their contracts and trying to govern a man's sexuality?????

You are assuming Tavis is heterosexual. Shadow and Act did not say and I did not reference the source article (I don't really care that much). Tavis may have been sexually harrassining his male and female subordinates for all I know.

On Friday I took a mandatory sexual harassment course for the college I teach at.  I hate the things.  The department admin and the department chaired emailed me separately telling me that it was a state requirement.

Normally I just fast forward though the slides and videos and answer the obvious questions at the end.  But this course was on to this tactic; you could not advance until every video played.  

Given your statements @Pioneer1 I can see why these training course are required.  

One of rules is that professors can not have sex with the students -- consensual or otherwise.  This is obvious to me, but I can see, now where people like Pioneer would see no problem with this and really do need to have someone explain to them why this is just a very bad idea.

Common sense tells you that you should not have sex with those who report to you... I guess common sense is not all that common huh?

• Haha 1

Troy

Given your statements @Pioneer1 I can see why these training course are required.  

LOL.....man shut up!

One of rules is that professors can not have sex with the students -- consensual or otherwise. 

This is obvious to me, but I can see, now where people like Pioneer would see no problem with this and really do need to have someone explain to them why this is just a very bad idea.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in the previous post.

There's a difference between ETHICS, MORALS, and LEGALITY.

Look......
I wouldn't do it (if I were a professor or owner of a business) and I don't think it should be done.
I agree there should be a policy against it!

But this is a matter of ETHICS....not morals.
And there shouldn't be any LEGAL repercussions to it like being sued or facing jail time.

Understand me clearly......
It IS an unethical thing for a professor to sleep with his students!
Yes.
But he shouldn't go to JAIL for it or have to pay a FINE for it!

The loss of his job under private agreement to the policy should be enough and his punishment should END THERE.

You don't go physically harming or locking up people or suing them and taking away their money for consentual sexual behavior.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor 😉

But you are completely missing the point Bruh. Obviously Smiley's sexual overtures were conventual he would be in this pickle.  He was obviously abusing his power and coercing these people. One one could make a strong argument that he should be in jail. 

I think entertaining the idea that his behavior was somehow criminal is a little extreme.
It's not like he raped or assaulted anyone.
From what I understand of the matter it was completely CONSENTUAL between all parties involved.

Again, a completely ethical issue and a matter of poor judgment.
Not a crime or evil.

As far as work-place relationships, It's complex.
You shouldn't just have BLANKET policies and rules for every job.

Every institution should have different standards and even different standards based on the department.

For examples:

If it's the military and a person must be qualified to achieve certain positions.  Then it should be policy that those of a lower rank not have relationships with superiors.

If it's an academic institution where a student relies on their teacher to grade them and pass them, again there should be a policy against sexual relationships there.

But if this is the Home Depot and you have 2 co-workers who find eachother attractive...what's wrong with them having a relationship?

Look, I have no clue what Tavis did.  However if he got canned and has pay damn near 3,000 large he must have done some serious shit.

If you want to defend everything short of rape that is cool. Tavis could have found someone else besides a subordinate to screw (he obviously was not making love).

Troy

he must have done some serious shit.

Unless he actually ASSAULTED someone (rape included) there is nothing that "serious" he could have done to warrant trying to take all of that man's money like that.

He's being PUNISHED for being Black and successful.

If you want to defend everything short of rape that is cool. Tavis could have found someone else besides a subordinate to screw (he obviously was not making love).

Come on man nearly 75% of White couples found eachother ON their jobs!

Now how in the world do these couples who were first working together even became involved with eachother in the first place unless they broke their own rules and someone made a sexual advance to the other?

These hypocrites (Caucasian authority) are running around lecturing people on work-place relationships and telling people they shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that but THEY are in the back rooms and basements screwing the hell out of eachother.

Outside of CERTAIN situations like the military, police, academic institutions, medical profession, and the like......I say if a Black man wants to screw a co-worker as long as he isn't forcing them to he should GO FOR IT.

Screw the "rules" or some silly policy if he didn't help make them.

Get your freak on bro!

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

long as he isn't forcing them to he should GO FOR IT.

This is the operative phase.  CLEARLY Tavis was forcing himself on the women or men.  Otherwise we would not be having this conversation.

Of course white authorities have been hypocritical as hell since before the inception of this nation, but that does not mean Tavis did not do something wrong. Again, since nether of us know specifically what he did wrong it is impossible to debate the merits of his punishment.

At least they did not toss Tavis' behind in prison the way they did Dr. Cosby.

Troy

CLEARLY Tavis was forcing himself on the women or men.  Otherwise we would not be having this conversation.

Well, we COULD be having this conversation because someone LIED on him.
You know that DOES happen to Black men from time to time, lol.
However that aside.......

Unless it was physical (which would be criminal and he was never accused of that), explain to me HOW he "forced" these able bodied adults who weren't being held captive and could presumable leave the area to have sex with him?

Help a brutha out.....lol.

At least they did not toss Tavis' behind in prison the way they did Dr. Cosby.

That's because Tavis wasn't accused of doing WHAT Cosby was accused of doing!

Dr. Cosby was accused of RAPE.

Whether he actually did or not, he was accused of drugging and INCAPACITATING women before having sex with them which basically means it was against their will!

I haven't read anywhere where Tavis was even accused of that.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I haven't read anywhere where Tavis was even accused of that.

Again, we don't know what Tavis was accused of or punished for. I don't know what Tavis net-worth is today, but the $2.6 MM fine may be relatively minor.

Troy

Lol.......
Well if you don't know what he actually did or the details of what he's accused of, how can you make the argument that he should face jail time?

You're condemning the brother on mere speculation.

Him being a high profile AfroAmerican man in a racist dominated industry like the mainstream media.....it seems to me you would actually give HIM the benefit of the doubt and presume his mistreatment.

You should presume that not only is he innocent, but that he he is a actually a VICTIM of racist targeting and a shake-down for money by disgruntled opportunists.

42 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

how can you make the argument that he should face jail time?

I did not make that argument, nor would I based upon the information I have.

45 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

You should presume that not only is he innocent, but that he he is a actually a VICTIM of racist targeting and a shake-down for money by disgruntled opportunists

If he had a high profile job with Fox News or some corporation I might agree with you, but he go canned by PBS for Christ's sake.

Troy

If he had a high profile job with Fox News or some corporation I might agree with you, but he go canned by PBS 

Caucasian media is Caucasian media regardless of the titles and supposed political leanings.

Besides, PBS brands itself as being very pro-LGBTQ and pro-feminism.
They most likely have a very low threshold for any type of sexism or perceived mistreatment of women by a man.

for Christ's sake.

You didn't learn to use that term in Harlem.

You picked it up from going to college and working with those White New Yorkers....lol.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

I rarely express myself using the language learned the Harlem, nigga.

LOL

You know, someone should do another interview with YOU about your experiences growing up in Harlem in the 70s and your journey through college, corporate America, and on to your passion and involvement in Black literature.

I can see the book cover now:

2 pictures side by side eachother......

One picture is of a little Black boy sitting on a curb next to a fire hydrant on a trashy sidewalk/ the other picture is of you in your office today grinning.  **

**If you go with that idea...I DO  expect to be paid a royal percentage for each book sold.
I'm serious.
No...really....I'm serious....I'm NOT playing.
 I'm trying to get PAID, my dude!

Don't sleep on fire hydrants man.  They provided a great deal of fun -- streams for boat races, way to wet unsuspecting drivers, and relieve from the oppressive summer heat (It always seemed to me that the summers used to be hotter when I was a kid, then remind myself that no one had AC back then LOL).

There are millions of stories we can all tell.  Where is your book?

Troy

I've heard other people describe how different things were in their childhood and I often find myself day dreaming about how things were and how they differ today.

Summers were hotter.
Days were longer.
The Sun shined brighter.
Certain foods were better tasting.

You know what it is, I think because you were a kid the world was NEW to you so things that you're pretty much used to today seemed more INTENSE to you.

To a person who's only been alive for 7 years....2 months summer vacation from school may seem like 5 years!
But to an adult, 2 months of summer goes by like a week.

If I wrote a book it would be a Science Fiction book about an IDEAL AfroAmerican community in an IDEAL America.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:47 AM, Troy said:

While updating my Top 50 Black-owned Websites page.  I noticed the Tavis Smiley story.  Given all the other crazy news today this story was buried. Shadow and Act a site that covers film and TV quoted Variety:

"In March, Smiley was found guilty of breaching his contract due to multiple affairs within the workplace. Earlier in January, an investigation commissioned by PBS found Smiley accused of enacting several types of misconduct, including verbal abuse and sexual harassment."

This is beyond unfortunate.  The Brother had so much potential. He could not keep his d*ck in his pants for 5 minutes?  Why is he sexually harassing people? SMH...

Men and women in leadership often fall as a result of lack of integrity, not talent or potential.  It's hard to regain that respect for your name once it has been tainted with poor character/integrity.  I hope that more of us can use this as an eye opener/lesson of how important it is to know and understand the things we will not compromise on and live your life with integrity.  Living with integrity comes before seeking out status and platform and thinking that because our name is Joe/Jane Doe that our talent and potential is enough to keep us there.

34 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Troy

I've heard other people describe how different things were in their childhood and I often find myself day dreaming about how things were and how they differ today.

Summers were hotter.
Days were longer.
The Sun shined brighter.
Certain foods were better tasting.

You know what it is, I think because you were a kid the world was NEW to you so things that you're pretty much used to today seemed more INTENSE to you.

To a person who's only been alive for 7 years....2 months summer vacation from school may seem like 5 years!
But to an adult, 2 months of summer goes by like a week.

If I wrote a book it would be a Science Fiction book about an IDEAL AfroAmerican community in an IDEAL America.

Ann

Men and women in leadership often fall as a result of lack of integrity, not talent or potential.  It's hard to regain that respect for your name once it has been tainted with poor character/integrity.  I hope that more of us can use this as an eye opener/lesson of how important it is to know and understand the things we will not compromise on and live your life with integrity.  Living with integrity comes before seeking out status and platform and thinking that because our name is Joe/Jane Doe that our talent and potential is enough to keep us there.

While I hear exactly what you're saying and understand in part, I must remind our people (AfroAmericans) that we are NOT Caucasians.

We can't take OUR moral and ethical cues from Caucasians.

What am I talking about?

Caucasians are pro-violence and pro-confusion but anti-SEX!

Anything sexual or having to do with sexuality, especially natural sexuality and sexual expression between men and women....they feel "funny" and squeamish about it and most of their rules, laws, and moral codes revolve around the condemnatoin of it's expression.

Therefore when we judge a person's character and integrity we must make sure we're judging from a traditional AFRICAN perspective and not a Caucasian one.

Traditionally African men in power enjoyed having a lot of sex with a lot of women.
That was NORMAL and there was nothing inappropriate about it from OUR perspective.
The only time it was seen as bad was after coming into contact with Caucasians who influenced our thinking with their perverted anti-sexual moral philosophies.
Not only did the men seek it but the women SOUGHT to have sex with powerful men in positions of authority (as many often still do) as a way of improving THEIR status in society.
Again, wasn't a problem UNTIL "you know who" started whispering into the ears of our people.

Viewing morality and behavior in general from a Caucasian perspective will portray our people in a DISTORTED image because the lense itself is distorted and perverted (Caucasian).