Walter White, Black Novelist and Activist During the Harlem Renaissance

Walter White

The blond-haired, blue-eyed, Walter White apparently had a Black ancestor.  I never read an account of who in his background was Black. Maybe he was similar to Plessey Ferguson where only one of his eight great-grand parent was Black and he presented as a white man too. We know he lived his life, most of it anyway, as a Black man.  By today's standard, he would be likened to the Rachel Dolezal (sp?) of the world.

I already know @Pioneer1 would not consider him to be a Black man, but in the standard of America 100 years ago he was.  

Would he be a Black man today?

I'll let you in on a little secret that I've noticed for years as a light skinned man myself.......

A lot of light skinned and actually White looking people (whether you want to accept them as "Black" or not) love being around Black people not because they sincerely enjoy their company.....but because of the high regard and respect and WORSHIP some of them get from Black folks.

Most of our people (AfroAmericans) have low self esteem and they consciously and subconsciously see Caucasians as superior or better.  So the closer you LOOK like a Caucasians a lot of our people tend to automatically see you as superior, of higher quality, and treat you better seeking to impress you.

I suspect this may be the REAL reason so many White looking and almost White looking people love hanging around AfroAmericans.

I also suspect this is a major reason so many AfroAmericans in the past have been light skinned.

It would be naive  not to suspect that atleast SOME of these Caucasians didn't LIE about having Black ancestry simply to lower the guard of their AfroAmerican friends so that they could "fit in" with them easier.

interracial couples | The Heartbeat Life | Interracial couples, Interracial  marriage, Interracial dating

"OK...yall really need to stop hating.
I'm not screwing a White man, cuz he ain't White.
He told me BOTH of his parents are Black!"

Yeah Walter White is a peculiar fellow.  His wife (divorced) and children apparently did not like him very much.  Maybe they knew he was lying about being Black -- even in a 19th century context.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'll let you in on a little secret that I've noticed for years as a light skinned man myself...

Deep.  I always, in my mind's eye, saw at least my complex or darker.  See how prejudice works!  

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

lot of light skinned and actually White looking people (whether you want to accept them as "Black" or not) love being around Black people not because they sincerely enjoy their company.....but because of the high regard and respect and WORSHIP some of them get from Black folks.

Maybe. Growing up in da 'hood dem "high yaller b*tches" got a of of grief.  If heard other girls say so-n-so though she was better than everyone else, for no other reason than her complexion.  Oh, and you better be a red-bone with that "good hair," cause some girls would cut you hair out of spite.

Now the light-skinned brothers did have it easier, the sisters use to favor them -- especially if they were tall, slim, had light eyes, and "good hair."  It seems things changed around the time Michael Jordan was popular. Jordan made dark skin and a bald not just acceptable, but even desirable 😉  

Then the thuggish brothers emerged as the favorites of ladies, you know the kinda timberland-wearing, pant-sagging, tattooed, nigga that would hurt you for a minor slight. Every girl wants a man with at least a little thug in him.  Perhaps, to your point @Pioneer1, rap played a part in this... I dunno.  

Troy

I don't talk about it all the time but I thought I mentioned my complexion a few times on this site, lol.

Now the light-skinned brothers did have it easier, the sisters use to favor them -- especially if they were tall, slim, had light eyes, and "good hair."  It seems things changed around the time Michael Jordan was popular. Jordan made dark skin and a bald not just acceptable, but even desirable 

SOME light skinned brothers have it easier, not all.  I was slim and never had much of a weight problem but wasn't considered too "pretty".....lol.
Believe it or not, I actually attracted more Caucasian girls than AfroAmerican girls because while a lot of AfroAmerican girls went for the "pretty" dudes (El Debarge, Prince, Christopher Williams, ect.....) you were talking about but a lot of White girls just wanted ANY Black dude and didn't care how he looked....lol.

Then the thuggish brothers emerged as the favorites of ladies, you know the kinda timberland-wearing, pant-sagging, tattooed, nigga that would hurt you for a minor slight. Every girl wants a man with at least a little thug in him.  Perhaps, to your point @Pioneer1, rap played a part in this... I dunno.  

They really pushed this with their promotion of Tupac and other Gangsta Rappers.

The White Supremacists had to figure out a way to get AfroAmerican men more engaged in crime and violence in order to have an excuse to lock them up......so they tricked them into being criminals with drugs and Gangsta Rap.

Encourage the young ladies to find "thugs" and criminals attractive and most men will play that role to attract them.

Troy

Around my early 20s  Gangsta Rap was really starting to spread with NWA and the like and I saw the changes in the AfroAmerican community.  Living right on the border and knowing how much Canadian women (of all races) loved Black American men regardless of our income or how we acted.....me and some of my boys started going to Canada more and more to meet women.

No need to put on a show.
No need to act like a thug or gangster.
No need to talk about how many people you shot or seen shot in order to impress people.

Just be BLACK.
....and that was strong and tough enough for the average Canadian woman at that time.

I seem to remember you giving Cynique grief about her complexion but I could be wrong.

What????
Man I didn't clown on Cynique's "high yellow" ass.....lol.
That was Sara.
She brought up her complexion a few times during their beefs.

Personally, despite her age I thought Cynique was an attractive (physically) woman.   I tried flirting with her a few times but she was so crabby and confrontational (toward me atleast) that I decided to just deal with her on her OWN terms.....lol.

But that is an example of the "tough" attitude so many of our (AfroAmerican) women have.  I'm not sure if it's the environment our sisters are raised in or part of their DNA to be stingingly confrontational but whatever the truth is most brothers I know don't like it and have complained about it for years. 
I've met women from other countries who've been in WARS and seen villages and family members killed infront of them who don't have the tough and hard attitude so many of our sisters have. 

I do know most women have an innate desire to be and feel protected so perhaps the thug or criminal represents a man capable of that protection.  But a thinking man like myself readily sees too many drawbacks of being a criminal or thug in THIS society just to impress women and get a little coochie....lol.   Is a few nights of sex worth risking your life in a shoot out or getting 20 years in prison for doing something to impress some woman you don't know?
I figured it was better to cross the border to happier hunting grounds. 
And when I finally got a chance to go to Europe....game over!

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

...and that was strong and tough enough for the average Canadian woman at that time.

Man do you think it is the same today?    Maybe Canada can be my next stop after Tulsa 😉

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

And when I finally got a chance to go to Europe....game over!

Seriously, why so many Black people feel compelled to go to Europe always escaped me.  If you are looking for women go to Africa or DR sisters are waiting their with open arms

Troy

Man do you think it is the same today?    Maybe Canada can be my next stop after Tulsa

No.
Infact, it was changing even back when I was a teenager!

The negative influence of so much of AfroAmerican culture has had a negative influence on AfroCandians over the past few decades so today you find many of the same pathologies wth them that you find with AfroAmericans.

I used to WARN Black Canadians even when I was in my 20s, to stop trying to imitate Black Americans in terms of behavior and dress and the like.  It leads to nowhere but animosity between you and the more liberal Canadian society.  But the power of Gangsta Rap and the influence of Jamaican culture was so powerful that a lot of AfroCanandians and especially the youth were and are attracted to it.

Today a lot of African, Caucasian, and other races of women in Canada want nothing to do with Black men today because of the negative stigma and criminality attached to involvement with them.
They may like the sex, but they don't think it's worth the risk of even getting involved.

Seriously, why so many Black people feel compelled to go to Europe always escaped me.  If you are looking for women go to Africa or DR sisters are waiting their with open arms

I'm not sure as I haven't been to Africa or the Dominican Republic yet....but I HAVE been to Europe so I know how they treat brothers.
Many of the African and Dominican women who immigrate to the United States SEEM to want little to do with AfroAmericans and especially AfroAmerican men.
Unlike European women who are highly interested in sex with AfroAmerican men......it appears that sex doesn't seem to be on the minds of most immigrant women who come to the United States.

A lot of women underestimate the power they have to control men through a man's ego.
A lot of brothers get with women because of how they make them feel!
They don't look a good as American women, but when you go to Europe the women there will openly proposition you for sex so much that you'll start feeling like a gigalo....LOL.

I actually find African immigrant women FAR more attractive than European women, but they just didn't seem to be very interested in me or any other AfroAmerican man.  If they DID sleep with someone outside of their culture it was usually with a White man, lol.

I understand that now.

I understand how someone who is new to a society and doesn't have a lot of connections outside of their family and ethnic community wouldn't want to jeopardize that or take the chance of messing themselves up....especially women who tend to be less bold and more timid.

When I used to complain about why so many  immigrant women didn't expand their horizons and sleep with Black men it was explained to me that most AfroAmerican men didn't have much to offer them IF their community rejected them as a result of their sexual escapade.

If a Somali woman chose an AfroAmerican boyfriend and got rejected by her community, chances are that AfroAmerian boyfriend didn't have a job to offer her or a house of his own that she could stay in; so why even take that risk.

That made a lot of sense to me and I became more understanding after that.

I will immediately grab your rss as I can't in finding your email
subscription link or newsletter service. Do you've any?
Please let me understand so that I may just subscribe.
Thanks.sarkariradar