Book Club Reading Lists, New Books, and Personal Stories - 12/8/2020

MA31075 GGG AALBC-Ad-v1

“A curation of love for Black dialect, Black freedom, Black cool, Black culture, Black joy, and Black women.” —Bestselling Author Damon Young.

In the vein of Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist and Issa Rae’s The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, but wholly its own, a provocative, humorous, and, at times, heartbreaking collection of essays of womanhood, of blackness, and the possibilities they both contain. Girl Gurl Grrrl by Kenya Hunt both illuminates our current cultural moment and transcends it. Hunt blends the popular and the personal, the frivolous and the momentous in a collection that truly reflects what it is to be living and thriving as a black woman today. More ▶

Book clubs are a great resource for AALBC. They share information about the books they are reading, host terrific events, and provide for support writers. Go on Girl! and Folktales’ Black Women’s Literary Society have been supporters of AALBC.com for years. Check out their reading lists; they always select excellent reads.

go-on-girl-2021-Winter-Spring-Reading-list

Launched in 1991, Go On Girl! Book Club is one of the largest national reading organizations in the U.S. for Black women. Their reading list spans almost three decades. You may review the complete list below. You’ll definitely discover some great books and authors.

Added Bonus: If you purchase all 6 books from the January – June 2021 list you will get free shipping and no sales tax (unless you ship to the state of Florida). Plus, half of the profit from the sales of all books on the Go On Girl! reading list will be donated to the Go On Girl! Book Club’s Scholarship Fund.

folktales

Folktales’ Black Women’s Literary Society meets the 3rd Friday of each month from February – November primarily at the George Washington Carver Museum. They are a group of Black women reading African America authors. 2021 marks the 29th year for the Folktales’ Black Women’s Literary Society.

5th-little-girl

The 5th Little Girl: Soul Survivor of the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing by Tracy Snipe with Sarah Collins Rudolph

Once described by the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as “one of the most tragic and vicious crimes ever perpetrated against humanity,” the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Alabama, instantly killed four little girls. The 5th little girl, twelve-year-old Sarah Collins, was left temporarily blind by the bomb
set off by white supremacists.

In this intimate first-hand account, Sarah imparts her views on topics such as the 50th year commemoration, restitution, and racial terrorism. Her story also delves into the bond between Sarah and her mother, Mrs. Alice Collins (Africa World Press, Nov 24).

kinmg-of-the-rising

King of the Rising by Kacen Callender

King of the Rising is the searing conclusion to an unflinching and powerful Caribbean-inspired fantasy series about colonialism, resilience and defiance.

A revolution has swept through the islands of Hans Lollik and former slave Loren Jannik has been chosen to lead the survivors in a bid to free the islands forever. But the rebels are running out of food, weapons and options. And as the Fjern inch closer to reclaiming Hans Lollik with every battle, Loren is faced with a choice that could shift the course of the revolution in their favor — or doom it to failure.

meditating

Do Not Disturb! Meditating… by Adijah & Atiya Brabham

Breathe in…
Breathe out…
Blow away that grumpy pout!

Nia and Nori are back! In this cheerful picture book, the sisters explore mindfulness techniques to manage their emotions. They take readers into their lives sharing their happy thoughts. Through out the book, the sisters practice deep breathing and visualization meditation to create their calm space; hugging grandpa, playing games with friends, riding a bike and flying a kite are some of things they visualize. They learn to reset, be still and present.

gibran-tariq

“For most of my life, I was the guy most wannabee thugs wished they could be. Officially declared a ‘menace to society,’ I was sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for my role as mastermind of a series of daring bank robberies in the 70s. Two involved shootouts. One with the police. The other with a citizen in a bank parking lot where I narrowly missed being killed. While confined, I took part in an even more daring prison escape...

From the start, there appeared to be a household conspiracy to convert me into a writer. By the time I was ten, I possessed a private library fit for a scholar, had a new typewriter, a big desk, and plenty of blank paper. By 11, I had mastered the dictionary, was a whiz at Scrabble, and was an honor roll student in school. At twelve, I had completed my first novel.” More ▶

negores-off-the-beach-300

It has been decades since you kept house for my family, but I still think of you every so often. Perhaps now more so than ever, as the Black Lives Matter movement has had such an impact on our current day culture. I live in New York City now, but still I have begun to consider what it must have been like to walk in your shoes back then. Particularly in a place such as where I grew up, land of sun and fun, Coppertone and coconuts, warm sand and salty waves. It was post card perfect our home town. We grew up in a cocoon: Beautiful, safe Miami Beach, Florida.

But Miami Beach in the Fifties was also a paradigm of segregation, even though as an adolescent I’m pretty sure I was unfamiliar with the word. In place were unspoken “laws” – were they ever truly laws? - that kept us “protected and secure.” From what, I never quite understood. One such law stated: “Negros (the term used in those days, and so I shall carry it through) had to be off the Beach or inside after dark. No exceptions.” More ▶

Troy-transparent-background

Dear Reader,

Stories are really at the heart of what I love to share. Normally I share stories that are captured in books, but there are so many wonderful ones that shared with me via email or posted on our discussion forums. Gibran and Ina’s stories, shared above, are examples. Gibran is active on our discussion forums you can read and engage with him and other intriguing personalities.

As always, Reader thank you for your business and support. You are why I’ve been able to provide this platform, for going on 24 years, to celebrate Black culture through books. Your paid subscription helps support this effort.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This Newsletter is Sponsored by Amistad

Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – December 8, 2020 - Issue #309