New Books, Reviews, Black Book Websites, John A. Williams Interview, Talib Kweli and More - 4/6/2021

We Are Each Other s Harvest AALBC

From the author of Queen Sugar—the critically acclaimed series on OWN directed by Ava Duvernay—comes a beautifully rendered collection of essays, poems, photographs, and interviews exploring the vast history of black farming in the American south. Luminous and eye-opening, We Are Each Other’s Harvest by Natalie Baszile is an eclectic collection that elevates the voices and stories of Black farmers, and people of color, helping us reimagine what it means to be dedicated to the soil. Now on sale wherever books are sold. More ▶

Black Power, Black Lawyer: My Audacious Quest for Justice by Nkechi Taifa

In these pages we get the behind the scenes account of her meetings with key leaders in the Black Nationalism and Black Power movements, and as a policy analyst for billionaire George Soros’s Open Society Foundation. Her connections to Black leaders and change makers run the gamut from Minister Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam, to Congresswoman Maxine Waters among many others. Taifa also recognizes freedom fighters in the Black Power movement—Chokwe Lumumba, Geronimo Pratt, Kwame Ture (AKA Stokely Carmichael), Reverend Dr. Ishakamusa Barashango, and Kwame Afo, whose untimely deaths have all but removed them from the annals of history.

The true transformative power of Black Power, Black Lawyer, is that it weaves together personal memoir, social justice, and compelling often untold historical narratives, into a rich tapestry that moves Black history to the center of American history, where it belongs. A phenomenal woman in her own right, Taifa's life and experiences as a social justice defender and legal advocate, tell a broader more inclusive story of our history and people, through the lens of one of its staunchest defenders. More ▶

John-williams-and-dennis-williams-news

Back in the winter of 1995, Dennis A. Williams, an accomplished author in his own right, interviewed his dad, an iconic figure in American literature, John A. Williams (1925 – 2015). The love between the two men is evident and worth exploring.

“We spoke in the spare living room and on the perfect porch of his Upstate New York hideaway, where he had taught my younger brother , as well as my older brother's children and my own, to shoot, play and understand that they have a special place in the world. It is the place where he is most at home, where all the parts of him come together, from the booklined writer's studio to the fishing dock; where both the collection of jazz records and the telescope aimed at the clear, rural sky can transport his spirit; where his mother's ashes are buried. Because it was an official, taped interview, the occasion seemed oddly formal. But because it was also a synopsis of forty years of such conversations, it was entirely natural. He doesn't change: the Syracuse kid, the poet-philosopher, the compulsive teacher, student, parent and bop-cool hang-out buddy are all alive and well in John A. Williams.” More ▶

Omar and Kimberly Finley

For more than two decades AALBC has shared information about Black-owned brick and mortar bookstores. Last summer the list went viral and it was heartwarming to see so many bookstore enjoy national prominence.

I also maintain a list of Black-owned book websites. Ten years ago I wrote an article entitled, “Black Book Websites Need Love Too.” In the article I lamented the fact that we were rapidly losing websites that sold, reviewed, promoted, and celebrated Black books and authors. The loss has continued and the impact is incalculable, because many of the site we lost were simply terrific and irreplaceable.

I still maintain the list of Black-owned book websites, and while updating it recently l discovered a video promoting The Listening Tree, a children’s book website. The video features owners, Omar and Kimberly Finley and their family in their store. The video immediately put a smile on my face! Check out their site a consider purchasing a book!

I look at book covers all day and have done so for almost 25 years. In recent years I’ve discovered some really attractive book covers. When viewed together the images are often awe inspiring. I appreciate I may be in the minority of folks moved by such imagery, but just same, I figured I share. This image happens to be a collection of the newest audiobooks we sell.

pretty book covers
tnjlogoforweb-1

At first, Troy D. Johnson wanted to sell books for commissions under Barnes and Noble’s Affiliate Program. He would place that bookseller’s products on the website he created, with links referring customers to BN.com.

It didn’t take long for him to feel the inadequacies of the program. Hoping for better luck, he signed up with am*zon.com’s affiliate program. All went well until am*zon’s commissions became smaller and smaller. Read the full article, by Olayemi Odesanya, at the Network Journal ▶

ka

The Center for Black Literature presents renowned hip-hop artist and activist Talib Kweli for a discussion about his new book Vibrate Higher: A Rap Story (MCD, 2021). Kweli will be in conversation with Akiba Solomon, senior editor at The Marshall Project.

The memoir is a collection of essays that illuminate Kweli’s upbringing, artistic success, and his views that position hip-hop as a political force.

Troy-transparent-background

Dear Reader,

As always, you are why we’ve been able to make AALBC the premier online platform for books by, or about, Black people. Your paid subscription, book purchases, suggestions, engagement on the site, commenting, social sharing, and advertisements helps support our mission to celebrate Black books and authors.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This Newsletter is Sponsored by Amistad

Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – April 6, 2021 - Issue #322