Supreme Court hands Black voters in Alabama a badly needed win

Well, Black people got a huge basket of good news on Thursday, June 8.

Because the U.S. Supreme Court did not shatter what’s left of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Instead, by a 5-4 margin, a coalition of conservative and liberal justices reaffirmed the court's 1986 precedent interpreting how legislative districts must be drawn under the landmark voting rights act, as amended in 1982.

After years of court defeats and being battered backwards by state after state when it comes to voting rights, the Supreme Court did something so surprising, even that dreaded oaf Clarence Thomas filed a 50-page complaint-objection. The court said that in Alabama, a state where there are seven House seats and one in four voters is black, the GOP-dominated state legislature had denied African American voters a reasonable chance to elect a second representative of their choice.

The decision could affect other states, with reconsideration of how congressional lines are drawn in areas with significant Black voters. But unless these other state cases get before the high court and are actually heard before 2024, this ruling only benefits Black voters in Alabama.

Supreme Court does a good thing for Black voters in Alabama

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Pioneer1

You mean you actually DO NOT know the long and tortured history of how Black people actually won their right to vote in the U.S.? A lot of it was fits and starts. A lot of violence. Read "Eyes on the Prize."

I always knew you were a dullard. But that statement actually surprises me.  It shouldn't though.

Since you were the clown who swore the fortunes of Black Americans would vastly improve immediately if they abandoned their current religious beliefs and adopted the worship and veneration of African spirits. And you did say that. 

Let me see. What else did you demand? That ALL Blacks leave California because you're still butthurt over a jaywalking citation you got in that state years ago? Hard to let that simmering anger go, eh?

Do you know when I first realized you were just plain stupid? It was after the May 2022 Buffalo Tops supermarket massacre in which 10 innocent Black men and women were murdered. The killer, 18-year old Peyton S. Gendron, had already been disarmed, subdued and arrested.

Pre-trial hearings were underway and a bevy of news columnists and opinion writers were busily trying to make sense of the hate that drove Gendron. I knew that dude would never be free again. But YOU wanted a group of armed-to-the teeth Black men to travel to this northwestern New York State city to take revenge. 

Kinda stupid. What were they supposed to do? Hang out on different street corners and gun down any Whites happening by? 

You don't think Black people needed the Supreme Court during their Civil Rights battles? By the way, the name of the court is a title. I just refer to it in my writings so readers understand what federal court level I am referring to. So knock it off with your juvenile strawman and personal attacks. It is unbelievable how silly and immature you can be.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

@Pioneer1

You mean you actually DO NOT know the long and tortured history of how Black people actually won their right to vote in the U.S.? A lot of it was fits and starts. A lot of violence. Read "Eyes on the Prize."

I always knew you were a dullard. But that statement actually surprises me.  It shouldn't though.

Since you were the clown who swore the fortunes of Black Americans would vastly improve immediately if they abandoned their current religious beliefs and adopted the worship and veneration of African spirits. And you did say that. 

Let me see. What else did you demand? That ALL Blacks leave California because you're still butthurt over a jaywalking citation you got in that state years ago? Hard to let that simmering anger go, eh?

Do you know when I first realized you were just plain stupid? It was after the May 2022 Buffalo Tops supermarket massacre in which 10 innocent Black men and women were murdered. The killer, 18-year old Peyton S. Gendron, had already been disarmed, subdued and arrested.

Pre-trial hearings were underway and a bevy of news columnists and opinion writers were busily trying to make sense of the hate that drove Gendron. I knew that dude would never be free again. But YOU wanted a group of armed-to-the teeth Black men to travel to this northwestern New York State city to take revenge. 

Kinda stupid. What were they supposed to do? Hang out on different street corners and gun down any Whites happening by? 

You don't think Black people needed the Supreme Court during their Civil Rights battles? By the way, the name of the court is a title. I just refer to it in my writings so readers understand what federal court level I am referring to. So knock it off with your juvenile strawman and personal attacks. It is unbelievable how silly and immature you can be.

🙄

🤨 -After reading THAT....some of you still believe men can't have menstrual cycles?

You don't think Black people needed the Supreme Court during their Civil Rights battles?

Sure, but not for voting.
We already had that right.

What we NEEDED was for the Executive branches of government at the Federal and State level to do THEIR job by engineering the prosecution of anyone who tried to deny our people the rights they already had.

Just like today.
The Constitution gurantees ALL U.S. citizens the right to vote.

So let me ask you a question, genius......
If ALL citizens are guaranteed the right to vote....why are some felons NOT allowed to vote?
They are U.S. citizens and most aren't incarcerated anymore, so why are laws allowed to be made that directly contradict the U.S. Constitution which is supposedly the highest law of the land?

And stop calling people "stupid".....lol....that's not nice.

15 hours ago, Troy said:

@Stefan that last reply to Pioneer reminded me of @Cynique and made me laugh.

Which is why I likened his response to that of a woman on her menstrual cycle.
Overly emotional and a bit juvenile TBH.

Clarence Thomas is a problem. Where is the drop squad when you need them?

And THAT reply reminds me of something ProfD would say.....lol.

@Pioneer1 the act of voting becomes far less effective with sophisticated, computer-driven gerrymandering. You should read the article.

AfroAmericans collectively have had a bad habit of doing shit that clearly DOES NOT WORK to solve many of our problems instead of seeing the problems clearly and focusing on solutions that actually work.
Focusing on court decisions and passing one useless un-enforced law after another has proven to be INEFFECTIVE in increasing the Black voter turn out in the United States since 1965.

The reasons for poor voter turn out in the AfroAmerican community are two major ones:

1. Indifference/apathy because most AfroAmericans don't see a reason to get up off the couch and vote in most local, state, or federal elections.
2. Felony convictions that deny most the right to vote, which is actually unconstitutional

THOSE are the main reasons and THOSE two reasons are what AfroAmericans as a collective should be focused on dealing with in order to increase our political power in this nation.  Wasting time and money going in and out of courts and passing one useless un-enforced "voting law" after another has PROVEN to be ineffective in increasing the Black voter turn out.

Give our people a VISIBLE and TANGIBLE reason to show up to the votes and vote and they will.

The Obama Presidency is proof of that fact.
When we have something that we can CLEARLY see is in our best interests, we WILL turn up to vote for it by the millions.

As far as felons not being allowed to exercise their constitutional rights...EXECUTIVE ORDERS at the federal and state levels could easily take care of that....not some damn "court rulings" that mean next to nothing.

In a twist of irony, the SCOTUS rolls back Affirmative Action. I  guess the court giveth and taketh away.

Uncle Clarence has to be the most self-hating Black man on the planet. That clown benefitted from Affirmative Action and yet, feels cheapened by it and proceeds to slam the door shut to future generations of Black folks.

We really need that Drop Squad ASAP. Too many  bootlicks znd shills running amok out in these streets.😎

• Haha 1

I have mixed views on Affirmative Action.

On the one hand, the biggest beneficiaries of it are clearly White women and have been for decades.
On the other hand, who's fault is THAT????

Actually most Affirmative Action programs allow both sex AND race to be used as qualifications for employment and job placement so AfroAmericans COULD take advantage of it and use it to our benefit just like White women have....but just haven't mostly out of ignorance, division, and indifference.
It goes back to the Latino success thing.....I can't blame other demographics for having more sense than the AfroAmerican.
If other groups USE the tools that WE actually fought for to benefit us more than WE actually use them....who's fault is that?????

Even back as far as being a teenager I noticed that on most jobs White women stuck together and helped eachother FAR more than AfroAmericans did, especially AfroAmerican men.
I saw so many Black men sell eachother out and fight with eachother at work over the pettiest of shit!
Over pussy, over weed, over who can impress the White co-workers (not the bosses....just the same co-workers!!!!) the most.
2 Black men are cool until a White woman comes over and shows one nigga more attention than the other.....now they ain't talking to eachother anymore.

So hey.....
I'm not sure how much of a difference Affirmative Action has made or will make as far as our success at this point.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'm not sure how much of a difference Affirmative Action has made or will make as far as our success at this point.

Affirmative Action got former POTUS Barack into Harvard.

It also benefitted the aforementioned Uncle Clarence Thomas getting into Yale Law school. 

Personally, I think AfroAmericans should flood HBCUs. We should not beg white folks to let us in their colleges and universities. 

The *problem* is that AfroAmericans won't be networking with the white folks who hand out jobs.

Unfortunately  the AfroAmerican employment infrastructure isn't robust enough to have a job for everybody who needs and wants one. 

That's why Affirmative Action was created in the 1st place. Of course, like everything else designed to *help* AfroAmericans, it was co-opted by others. 😎

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

That's why Affirmative Action was created in the 1st place. Of course, like everything else designed to *help* AfroAmericans, it was co-opted by others. 😎

You're correct.
However the question is WHY.....WHY have they been able to co-opt programs that were originally designed to help our people?

Well, first of all.....the question should be asked WAS Affirmative Action INDEED designed to ONLY help AfroAmericans even in it's inception, or did we just ASSUME this was the case without examining the legislation more closely?

Maybe when it was first agreed upon back in the 1960s and 1970s, the legislation indeed DID say AfroAmericans AND women and quite possibly Latinos as well, but it was read through thoroughly so the rumor spread that AA was designed ONLY to help us and other groups took it.
I'm not sure of this, but it's just a question I raise.

However with that aside...........

As I've said time and time again, we can't get mad at the Asians, Latinos, Gays, or White women if THEY have sense enough to organize and take advantage of programs and legislation that were designed for us that WE won't even take advantage of.
They're being smart and organized....you can't tell them NOT to be...lol.

Just like you can't legislate intelligence, you can't legislate AGAINST stupidity...lol.

There is no law they can pass....no Reparations bill....that will heal or cure "stupid".

Answer to the question is AfroAmericans don't control anything. We do not make the laws. 

That has nothing to do with intelligence or the lack thereof and everything to do with power

Until AfroAmericans are sick and tired of being marginalized, white folks will continue to be Lucy with the football that Charlie Brown is never going to kick. 😎

ProfD

Well......
There certainly are a lot of AfroAmericans on local city councils.
Certainly a lot of AfroAmerican mayors.
Certainly a lot of AfroAmerican judges and lawyers and prosecutors.
Certainly a lot of AfroAmericans in CONGRESS ITSELF.

So I'm not sure why AfroAmericans AREN'T making our own laws and swaying things.
Who's fault is that?

I know there are plenty of people behind the scenes pulling strings....but hell...mayors and congressmen do have SOME power or people would be lobbying them!

If I give you and your men guns and badges and put you in charge of the security that housing complex across the street.....if it collapses into chaos and violence and lawlessness...who's fault is that?
YALL had the power and authority to keep law and order and peace.

Likewise, if AfroAmericans are in POSITIONS of power and authority and CHOOSE not to exert it or use it to RULE the land.....but instead merely use their positions to get their gall bladder removed, get their nails done, or get their kids into exclusive schools.....who's fault is that?

You said Black folks can't make laws because they don't control anything.
But I'm telling you even when you PUT many of our people in positions of authority where we CAN control things and re-write the laws....many of them still won't.
Like I said, you can't make laws against STUPIDITY.

A good example.....
You have TWO FBA AfroAmericans on the SCOTUS right now.....TWO of them.

That's more than 20%.

Yet Affirmative Action is on it's way out the door and a lot of Black people are scratching their heads trying to figure out WTF.

With 2 FBA on the SCOTUS we should be discussing the amount of REPARATIONS payments we're going to soon be receiving, and instead.....trying to maintain the right to vote.

((shakes head))

I believe many FBA in positions of power or authority don't give a d8mn about being AfroAmerican. They're just doing a job in order to feed their families.

That old n8gglet on the SCOTUS is a shining example of the most self-hating Black man in America. I bet if could stop wearing that black robe he'd put on an altar boy outfit. 

The laws were written by white folks mostly in accordance with the US Constitution. That document didn't really factor minorities of any kind into the equation. It's been amended a few times but it's still pro-white man.

Most AfroAmerican politicians are fairly good at insuring their own people don't get more than white folks will allow.

AfroAmericans in law enforcement (judges, lawyers  police officers,  correctional officers, etc.) do a better job of sending Black folks to prison than white folks could have imagined.  White folks fo not punish their own people as harshly for similar crimes. 

AfroAmericans in power positions should be working to insure our people are better off instead of showing the white man how well they can enforce his laws while singing gimme da loot. 🤣😎