Facebook, Google+ or MySpace?

Each morning with a cup of coffee I skim the newspaper, read my email from the previous day and review and reacting to activity on my social media and these discussion boards.  Today I got started around 5:30AM and will probably finish these activities around 10 AM before starting the "real work" of AALBC.com. 

Normally these thing take about two hours today was a little longer because I've placed various versions of this article on Facebook, and Google+

This morning on Facebook I noticed my wall had a "suggested post" an euphemism for a paid ad I suppose. I also had to block a couple of "people" spamming my fan page. I previously blocked people from posting on my wall, but I still have to contend with spammers posting ads in my comments. And I'm really disliking the ads that pop up prompting you do buy a gift for someone right after wishing them a happy birthday.

In the meantime, Google+ revamped their platform.  I have to admit the revamped Google+ offers some real "pluses" over Facebook. Better features, cleaner more appealing design. Even the new banner was cleverly implemented.

But at the risk of sounding overly cynical, I just can't image regular folks (people without a business to promote) using both Google and Facebook. Indeed there appears to be some social media fatigue -- at least in my peer group. Older folks seems to have gotten everything they can get out of Facebook.

They have; reconnected with all their old classmates; seen enough photos; been assaulted by enough ads, eventually learning to ignore then (even though Facebook is now inserting them right into conversations); victimized by evil spammers; overwhelmed by aggressive self promoters; doled out enough "sympathy likes" to those who need them and those who are merely attention starved; grown tired of wading though everyone else's minutia while ignoring their own; and even marginally amused themselves with a game or two until bored.

I can't see very many folks (especially folks my age, 50+) leaving Facebook, overcoming a new learning curve, reacquiring friends or finding new ones, only to ultimately repeat the same crap they are already engaging in on Facebook.

What is also interesting is the almost complete absence of widespread conversation about MySpace I've had a Myspace account forever but I never use it.  Does anyone here use MySpace?

Some of you may know I have a love/hate relationship with Google.  Some things Goolge does really well.  Others not so well.  They continue to struggle with search.  They are unable to (perhaps unwilling) to prevent results from favoring entities with loads of money or who use "Black Hat" tactics.  This has had the result of really worsening the internet experience as web-surfers simply never discover independent website -- and indy websites are what made the internet great -- giving us alternatives to corporations.  But I digress...

The biggest benefit of Goggle+ is the complete adsence of banner ads, sponsored links, and spam.  It is not clear to me how much longer Google+ can continue without shoving ads in our faces?

Attempts to monetize social media through paid placement is the very thing that worsens the experience.  Indeed, I'd argue it is the very thing that has worsened the entire internet experience.  If Facebook, Google+ and all these social media platforms are so valuable to people, why don't they simply charge a fee and get rid of ALL the paid/sponsored/promoted content?

Which platform do you prefer, Facebook, Google+ or MySpace?   Do you use all three or two if so, do you intent do so indefinitely.  

Most of what you say is Greek to me, Troy.  I never even knew that Google+ existed until you just now provided a link to.  I use Google strictly to facilitate my acquiring information about subjects and people. 

My interest in FaceBook has, indeed, dwindled and  I can't even remember how  to access my old MySpace page. I also have grown very impatient with all of the annoying pop-up ads that intrude upon my net surfing. 

The internet, in general, is starting to overwhelm me wth its overload of useless data and  more and more I am reverting back to TV and the print media to get my news.

Wow Cynique it would have never occurred to me that you, being relatively active on-line never heard of Google+.  What a reality check.  I know Google will have issues with getting people to actually use Google+, it did not dawn on me that there were people unaware of it's existence :) 

Facebook is annoying.  Facebook presents ads in such a way that it is not clear you are looking an advertisement.  Eventually all social platforms go route of MySpace... riddled with ads, reckless spammers and people who self promote beyond all reason.  People ultimately move onto the next shiny thing to repeat the process. 

I have a particular fondness for newspapers now.