Black Media, Once Vibrant, Now Fighting for Survival...

...so says the New York Times.

I guess there is nothing we can do about it, huh? 

The article mentions as if it is some form of consolation;

"The emergence of Black Twitter has also given African-Americans a powerful voice on social media."  

Black Twitter?! Please it is just Twitter; we don't own it, we don't control it, and it damn sure ain't benefiting Black people.

• Like 1

One of the goals of the America's civil rights movement was to demolish the separate but equal policy practiced in order to maintain segregation under the pretense of providing blacks with everything available to whites while keeping the races apart.  Of course this proved to be a travesty because what blacks ended up with was second class benefits.

Once the chorus of  "We Shall Overcome" faded and the civil rights struggle was ostensibly over, blacks were optimistic in achieving what they so passionately desired: integration into the mainstream of white society.  Trusting in the belief that a color blind world was the answer to their prayers, blacks embraced integration and, for a while reveled in its advantages.  But gradually, the old "be careful-what-you-wish-for" axiom kicked in as it became increasingly obvious that integration required blacks to sell their soul by polluting their blackness and the rewards weren't that great.  Racism is a chameleon-like entity and it takes the from of its environment.

Fast forward to the present.  Black folks are back to square one.  Fuck integration.  They want to do their own thing.  Be independent; separate but equal.   Lotsa luck.  Money is the name of the game and blacks are sitting on the bench, hoping for a chance to put their skills to work. But this is an endeavor that calls for superstars and even they are don't get all the calls. Just ask Obama. Being black is, if nothing, frustrating. It can be very gratifying but it also entails is a lifetime of being on the defensive; against whites and against other blacks, a burden of maintaining a double consciousness and a talent for rationalizing - a journey fraught with the detours of  justice denied.   For every step forward, there are 2 steps backward.  It is not for the faint of heart... 

(Not surprising my old heart is on the brink of being faint so, without apology, I reiterate that I'm done with the struggle, leaving it in the hands of altruistic stalwarts like Troy.  On the eve of Independence Day, I declare mine and, paying homage to all my bloodlines, declare myself  to simply be a woman of color who seeks the truth. The truth, even when it hurts, can help set you free.)    

• Like 2