Glenn Beck and his girl Alveda King

This post is not about shooting the messenger. It's about a little old lady that lived is a shoe. She wanted so much attention she didn't know what to do.

Well, although Alveda King's participation in Glen Beck's "rally" may have been honorable, she blew it! Not only did she drop the ball with her "cookie cutter" speech, she gave credence to a man that's the personification of a dormant cancer that has gained a new hold.

Is she a sell-out, sambo or a puppet? Well, in my opinion, she has the qualities to wear many of their shoes. I know it's not a popular opinion to speak ill of her, but it has to be said. Her seemingly disdain (driven by the media & her own less than snide remarks) of Al Sharpton, led her to seek her own spot-light. She's not saying anything new. She's an old voice of LESS-THAN passive resistance. Uuuuum, I see the bucked eyes of a lawn jockey.

Look, In the 60's four great men -- including her uncle -- where slaughtered. John Kennedy, Malcolm X, Bobby Kennedy, and her uncle were murdered because their voices made many uncomfortable. And, they were speaking for equality. They also had no problem pointing their fingers at the real roots of injustice. That being racism, wars, and the real perpetrators of violence. MLK said,

"Man fears nothing more terrible than to take a position that stands out sharply and clearly from the prevailing opinion. The tendency of most is to adopt a view that is so ambiguous that it includes everything, and so popular that it includes everyone"

I don't believe Alveda King heard his cry.

Listen, to focus on Glen Beck and those that mimic his sound bites, is akin to walking over 100 dollar bills to pick-up shiny pennies. In short, in this case (my opinion), it's not an attempt to shoot the messengers, my eyes are focused on the core of their message.

We all know what Glen Beck stands for. There's no need to call him a racist or a purveyor of hatred... he knows that. Alveda was invited to his party, and thus, given the perfect opportunity to be his Marcus Brutus. Yet, instead, she chose the role of huckleberry.

In subsequent interviews , she was again given many opportunities to right her ship, but oh no, she continued her championing of small delicate morsels of Glen Beck's speech. She picked and poked in his bag of tricks to find those that served HER purpose, leaving behind those that would have made her uncle proud. Unlike Brutus, who's father was killed by Pompey The Great, Alveda chose the route of a pulpit pimp (using bits of scripture), making some folks smile while driving a knife in the wounds of racism and bigotry. She was not the offspring of Pompey, she was just another pompus pimp being pimp slapped by Glen Beck. He used her as one would a 3 hour hotel. Get in there baby, get up there baby... ouuuweeee baby, you sho know what to say. Get down from there baby, and now get out of here baby, and turn in the key Alveda King, our 3 hours are over.

She had the mic in her hand, and she could have pulled the trigger in the right direction. However, when I saw her interview on Larry King Live, her cross-hairs were on Rev Sharpton more than those that are trying to kill her uncle's dream.

I do not know anything about her political views nor her position on social issues, and I don't care. What I saw this weekend was enough to make me shake my head and say she and Glen Beck have a true love connection.

Chris, I'm not shooting the messenger; but i would like a little more insight.

I did not know who Alveda King was until you mentioned her here. I know my pop culture quotient is pretty low nowadays, but I can't image than anyone cares what an Alveda King has to say or how well she says it. Do you?

If so, why do you think so?

Well Troy, although I am fat, black and old, I am not Chris. But I will still answer your question.

So you've never heard of Alveda King? Really, and have you heard of a white guy named Glen Beck? I'm just trying to establish rather or not you've been living on another planet. Well, let me go back a little further. Have you heard of a guy called Maritn Luther King?

Okay, now, what about a "taking back america rally", have you heard anything about that? Okay, now, did you happen to catch anying black speakers at that rally? What about Larry King, do you know him? Anyway, there's been great discussions on how Alveda King has been pimping her uncle's "brand". Some people believe Alveda has found a "slot" in the Republican's heart as the voice of the new conservative negro. Although you may not have heard of her, she does have a voice and a few listening ears.

I am surprised you've never heard of her. I mean, they way you guys tried to beat-up Chris hayden for putting Sambos and Toms in check, I 'm really taken aback.

What does putting the errant Chrishayden in check have to do with knowing who a nonentity like Alveda King is??? Yes, carey, it's me again, wondering how to take seriously anybody who's naive enough to believe that JFK and RFK and Malcolm X were all assassinated because they were against racism?

I am familiar with Alveda King and Glen Beck, and it's really amusing how you deconstructed this woman and then end your diatribe by making the claim that you know nothing about her politcal views or position on social issues.

I heard Ms. King being interviewed by a black reporter who tried unsuccesfuuly to corner her into admitting that she was violating MLK's legacy. Yes, she and Beck are riding on the coat tails of MLK's desire for racial harmony, injecting a return to things like "family values" into the equation. People do this all the time. So what? Is it really necessary to castigate this woman for following her own agenda? She ain't no different from any other public figure. And it's not like she made any Black converts by appearing at this rally. All she and Beck were doing was preaching to the choir. Furthermore, Beck & Co. purposely do not spew vitriolic racist rhetoric because that would defeat their tactic of allying themselves with MLK. Glen even "apologized" for calling Obama a racist. So, all their critics are doing is giving Beck grist for his mill, enabling him to accuse people like Al Sharpton of denying that MLK wanted the races to work together.

And Ol Al probably welcomed the opportunity to garner a little publicity for himself by leading a counter march. It's all a big game. Did any other prominent Blacks even legitimized this farce by calling attention to people exercising their right of free assembly. (Maybe these leaders were afraid white conservatives might accuse President Obama of co-opting his predecessor's legacy, riding George Bush's coattails by recently appearing on TV decaring the war in Iraq over, - when 50,000 American troops are still occupying this country ready to put down any insurgencies.)

Nobody can distort the legacy of the Reverend Martin Luther King. His words ring so true that anybody who seeks justice adopts them. Glen Beck's kissing the robes of MLK is a testament to King's greatness. Justice is blind and it's not the sole possession of any one group. Anybody can claim to be the victim of injustice. Truth is the final judge.

"Yes, carey, it's me again"

Like I didn't know. I recognize a old lawn jockey when I see one. But I am not going to waste my time sticking a knife in all of your fence straddling comments and porous opinions. There's too many to address, and over the years you've shown the propensity to move waaaay off the central point.

Case in point... "Yes, carey, it's me again, wondering how to take seriously anybody who's naive enough to believe that JFK and RFK and Malcolm X were all assassinated because they were against racism?"

** a borrowed raised eyebrow** I believe this is what I said.... "Look, In the 60's four great men -- including her uncle -- where slaughtered. John Kennedy, Malcolm X, Bobby Kennedy, and her uncle were murdered because their voices made many uncomfortable. And, they were speaking for equality. They also had no problem pointing their fingers at the real roots of injustice. That being racism, wars, and the real perpetrators of violence"

Now Cynique, lets look at Bobby Kennedy's own words.

"For there is another kind of violence, slower but just as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. This is the slow destruction of a child by hunger, and schools without books and homes without heat in the winter.

This is the breaking of a man's spirit by denying him the chance to stand as a father and as a man among other men. And this too afflicts us all"

And more from the shift shaker Cynique....

"Did any other prominent Blacks even legitimized this farce by calling attention to people exercising their right of free assembly."

Excuse me, are you asking the question, or implying that no blacks voiced their opposition/opinions on the affair?! Now, of course I am not going to even try to guess what YOU mean by "PROMINENT BLACKS"? **shaking my head**. Yet, the answer to your question is absolutely!!!

Cynique, I don't have the time or desire to chase you around this block called Thumper's Corner. Been there and done that!

And I recognize an old stooped-over shuffling dispenser of non-sequitor arguments when I hear one. Just tell me, carey. Did Sirhan Sirhan, an Arab, kill Bobby Kennedy to promote racism? Did the Muslim shooter from an opposing group kill Malcolm X. to facilitate racism? Did Lee Harvey Oswald, an ex-Communist sympathizer, shoot JFK to encourage racism? No. These 3 were misguided crack pots. And what, pray tell, did their acts have to do with Alveta King attending an assemblage of white wimps longing for a return to "Christian values"? Yet you insist of padding your pontificating with a lot of maudlin blather in your attempts to bolster the nebulous points you are struggling to make, hoping your irrelevent quotes and references will make you sound intellectual instead of silly. Brutus? Pompei? Puleeze. LMAO.

And since you can't figure out what a prominent black leader is, I'll re-phrase my question and ask if any high-profile Black spokespersons publicly denounced Alvera King for exercising her rights as a private citizen to speak at Glen Beck's rally? Name names unless you want me assume that such black leaders had the good sense to ignore Ms King's appearance so as not to play into Beck's hands by drawing attention to his rally. Then, there are those like you who feel they have the right to assassinate the character of a woman who doesn't adhere to your arbitrary "cookie cutter" image of how all black folks should act.

As for your not having the time to chase me around Thumper's corner, your reply with all of its different fonts and sizes would seem to belie this. I agree, however, that your response was a waste of your time because what you had to say was your usual vapid droning.

Hold up Miss Muffet, while you sit on your tuffet, eating your curds and wey (and hay), cuz along came a spider to sit down beside her, to tell you... watch what you say.

AGAIN, you seem to be flounding. Again, you've left out a few important words of my post. It seems as if you forgot the words violence and all that entails. And, WARS! Now, although you tried (in vain) to wrap your argument around the word "racism", I am going to run with that word and ask you if racism and power, plays important roles in violence and wars?

Come on Cynique, can't you see that you're standing in quicksand? All you are doing is fueling your thirst to be cynical, and you're sinking. I mean, what's YOUR point? Picking and poking around in my post to find an obscure "win", only shines a light on your desperate attempt to soothe your ego. And in doing so, as always, you've moved this issue completely off course.

Puleeze. You are even more addled-brained than I thought, carey. What the hell does war and violence and power have to do with the niece of MLK attending Glen Beck's rally, the purpose of which was to return to the "old values". Instead of making a petulant attempt to analyse my motives, why don't you mount an intelligent rebuttal to my arguments.

You're the one who started out your ravelling thread with an attack on Alveta King, and now you are desperately trying to obfuscate the issue by veering away from the question of whether or not Ms. King was betraying MLK's "I-have-a-dream" legacy by allowing Glen Beck to use her to promote his "take-our-country-back" rally.

War and violence and racism and power had nothing to do with this. You're who injected them into the debate. I focused on racism because I didn't believe that even you would be stupid enough to think that Alveta King's appearance at Beck's rally was to attack war and violence and to seize power as opposed to promoting MLK's dream of Blacks and Whites coming together with the bleary hope of "making America great again". >>barf<< This was one of the stated purposes of Beck's rally, which pundits all agreed was nothing more than a bunch of disgruntled white folks throwing a pity party for themselves. This was not a tea party.

I added my comments to your ego-tripping post because, as usual, you took cheap shots at the people who challenged Chrishayden's obsession with Uncle Tomism. If you don't want anybody to parse your befuddled commentaries then you ought to shape them up so that they are coherent and logical. And surely you didn't compare yourself to the spider who sat next to little Miss Muffet. Get real. You are more like a skittering bug-eyed roach, looking for somebody to throw you a few crumbs so you can get through another day.