What is Astrology to you

My introduction was horoscopes.  My friends mother did my astrological/natal chart.   When I began researching the scriptures - astrology for me became the study of the constellations and planets and its perceived effects on society.  Now when I think of astrology I tend to combined it with psychology.

• Like 1

The astrology practiced in the West is mostly entertainment based on mythological misunderstandings.

However the REAL astrology as practiced by ancient cultures was based on the gravitational pull of planets and stars on human chemistry and how it affected moods and behaviors.

Extremely high science when practiced in it's true form.

• Like 2

What branches of Western and Eastern Astrology are you comparing to arrive at your opinion.

The typical astrology most people in the West are familiar with uses zodiac signs  based on the Greek zodiac like Libra, Taurus, Virgo, ect....

It's nothing but Greek mythology re-established.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Delano said:

Western Mythology gave birth to Astrology and has influenced Psychological.

Western mythology is influenced, if not, built on African teachings. What we call astrology was part of a star-worshipping curriculum which also included astronomy - maybe the western church separated them but the origins began in what is known today as Africa. I use the quote below because I'm unable to pull my research. 

The "star-worshipers" also studied or venerated the sun and moon and, roots of their practice dates back to well before 5000 B.C.E. Evidence for a level of sophistication and knowledge of astronomy has been found at several archaeological sites in Africa, including the complex at Nabta Playa in southern Egypt. The structure at Nabta is almost 7,000 years old, and is the oldest astronomical complex in the world.

Other astronomical sites in Africa include: Namoratunga II, near Lake Turkana, in Kenya, which was in use around 300 B.C.E.; the Senegambian stone circles; and the Bouar megaliths in what is now the Central African Republic.

Also psychology was originally the study of the soul, spirit  (psyche) - while these words have latin and greek origins if we look further back there's a Canaanite origin...  I apologize for not making my statement clearer - I didn't make the time to condense my explanation.

• Like 2

It is only recently that the exchange between Europe and Africa , or rather the African influence hasn't been acknowledged. Dogon huts were arranged in fractals before they were discovered by Western science. 

The East, The West and the neither all have developed an Astrological tradition. Which was based on local cultural mythologies. There are differences due to culture and place. So when I am talking about Astrology or Mythology I am reference the following Mayan; Egyptian; Chinese; Vedic; Norse; Greek; Roman; Persian; Babylonian; and Oceanic. What I find interesting is the similarities and also the fact that quite a few cultures have pyramids, and creation and flood myths. The hardest one to link is the Mayan, I am not aware of trade between the early Mayans and any of the others. I have studied Astrology Magick Psychology, an some reading of the following: Numbers; World Mythologies; and calendars. In 70 of languages still spoken the days of the week are named after the Gods\Planets. The rest are mostly the serial order.

Astrology is the basis of the calendar. John Dee an Astrologer, Magician and Map maker and Regal Advisor was instrumental in calendar reform. The basis of all knowledge is the collective unconscious. The days of the week are named after the planets, a week is the phase of the moon, a month is really a Moonth. Astrology has also informed language disaster translated means against the stars.

@Pioneer1the above is left to your consideration. That is an etymological joke. Which you only need to know etymology or where to look. 

As a practicing Astrologer and a subconscious Magician I have found Western Astrology to be a useful and accurate divination tool and classification system. Mars or Aries rules aggression, martial arts, knives and iron. Blood is red because of Iron.

Utility is not inherent it is in application. It is not that non believers don't have an understanding (everyone knows Astrology, Numerology,Tarot and information subconsciously) , what they are lacking is application. Ironically some Astrologer are lacking in understanding of the Art.

@Pioneer1 we are on different pages and clearly what I have posted is more useful to fellow seekers, than it is to non practioners or students.

• Like 2

My introduction to astrology was through the horoscopes, though I always thought of them as the same thing. I took a course in Astrology and learned how to cast charts.  I never got really good at interpreting them, as that does take some study and imagination.  

As I learned more about astronomy and biology, I find it impossible to believe in horoscopes at all.  That is not to say that I'm dismissing the impact of celestial bodies on people, I just don't think this influence can be distilled down to a handful of celestial bodies. 

Our calendar has never been fixed. going from 10 months to 12--on a whim.  It has only been a few hundred years when most of the world even used the same calendar. Of course the universe does not conform to our arbitrary labels since it is constant state of flux, and requires correction periodically.

Mel previously mentioned Ophiuchus, illustrating that the astrological signs we commonly follow don't adhere to the actual constellations. Of course there is disagreement on whether there should be a 12, 13, or even 14 astrological signs...

That vast majority of the material of our universe (dark matter and dark energy) is currently unknown to us.  Perhaps it is unknowable--who knows.

I'm all for seeking hight levels of knowledge.  Perhaps astrology and religion can provide a path to a more profound understanding of the nature of the universe, but more often they seem to lead more restricted understanding

• Like 3

I find all of the comments on this subject very thought-provoking. Astrology has never captivated me.  I have had a chart cast and readings, and I didn't find them be especially accurate or prophetic. I was told by one reader that my aura inhibited her powers because she could sense that I was a skeptic.  My skepticism may have had something to do with how she asked me more questions than I asked her. I figured that, with her psychic gift, she should've been able to divine the answers about me and shouldn't have needed to quiz me. I do harbor a certain amount of awe for Astronomy, however.  The configurations of heavenly bodies are predictable and constant and they seem to represent order in a universe that is fraught with chaos.

In this vein, I would like to share something interesting I've just experienced. Yesterday I was thinking about an old friend of mine who I haven't seen or heard from in over 25 years. The last time I saw her was when she was briefly in Chicago for a funeral. She caught up with me and we were able to spend a couple of hours together, and it was like we'd never lost touch. We parted with her extracting a promise that if I ever came to LA, I'd look her up and that was that, since I never made that trip.  I always thought of her as the "golden girl".  She was very pretty and very smart and - a very nice person, and she was able to beat out a few other girls for a really cool, smart, popular guy they all had eyes for.  When she became pregnant, they got married and moved to California, where from all reports they were apparently living happily ever after.  They had a long marriage (about 63 years) and in a recent picture their niece posted on FaceBook, they looked well preserved and happy. Of all my girlfriends, she was the one who had it all, a beautiful home, a good income, a high achieving daughter. The  golden girl who enjoyed a fulfilling life. 

Then today, this same niece, who is a friend of mine on FaceBook, in-boxed me a message telling me that my friend had lost her husband  My first thought was that the golden girl's sheen was probably a little dulled. 

But the story doesn't end here. There was my other old faraway friend, who I talked with on the phone from time to time, and we would always reminisce about the salad days of our youth.  it was during one of our last conversations that she mentioned what I had always known but didn't think it was something she still dwelt on. She had been one of the girls that my other friend beat out for this guy they both liked. The health of this friend was very frail and she would become  depressed, looking back over her life, thinking about all the trials and tribulations she had gone through. Indeed, she was not somebody I'd label a "golden girl" despite that fact that she was also pretty, and smart and nice.  Anyway, the subject of what evolved into an intriguing love triangle involving my 2 friends and the guy one had married, often came up and we would laugh about it. But, then, during one conversation, she opened up about her feelings, saying that this guy had been the love of her life and that she'd never really gotten over her broken heart and that over the years when their paths crossed she thought she saw a glint in his eyes that signaled to her what might have been.  One of the last things I said to this friend when she'd declared she was tired and ready to go, was to "cheer up", adding that maybe in another place and another time, she would be reunited with this love of her life.  She chuckled and said "who knows?" This friend, who I'll call Jackie, died in December a week after her 83rd birthday.  The second thing I thought about  upon hearing about the death of the first friend's husband today, was: "now it's your turn, Jackie".  Coincidence?  Maybe. The only mystery deeper than Life, is Death. Two words that have no meaning.  

• Like 3

Cynique you are unconscious Magician of this I am certain. Two sides of the same coin. Some posted perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel is the birth canal. You mostly know how people feel even when you first meet them. You can feel people more so when you are in your feminine receptive mode than your take charge masculine mode. 

• Like 2

As I said before, I do believe there is some validity to ANCIENT astrology, but like many forms of religion....much of what is practiced now a days seems to be just another form of ESCAPISM.

A lot of otherwise intelligent men and women make important life decisions such as who to date/marry and what careers choices to make based mostly on outdated and often fabricated Greek mythology....only to end up more confused and disappointed!

Rather than going through the trouble to think and make the hard decisions to try and secure a particular outcome....many people would rather leave it up to the "stars" to set everything straight for them.

Or on the other side of the same coin.......

When something goes wrong, instead of self reflection and retracing one's steps to find out what one did wrong, they'd rather blame it on "fate" or "the stars" to dodge personal responsbility for thier situation.

I've also noticed that many historically oppressed groups like AfroAmericans and women tend to be attracted to things they feel will give them some sense of power in a society that often times deprive them from so much of it.

So while a wealthy White family has the money to bail their son out of jail and pay for a good lawyer to keep him free, a poor Black family often goes to a fortune teller to get advice on what to do about their son and a poor Latino family will pray to a particular saint and burn a certain candle for a favorable outcome.

Cynique

Do you have a ghost writer or something?
How DO you come up with all these stories....lol.

That story you told sounded like something Morris Chestnut and Kerry Washington would star in.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1 I don't need a ghost writer. When you live as along as I have, your life is a book with many chapters. I simply verbalize my memories, utilizing what writing skills I, as a Leo and self-published author, have. Because I always look for the irony in life, that is the angle of my vignettes, and that tends to make simple events compelling. Everybody has stories to tell, but everybody doesn't choose to put them in writing. 

@Delano I do  sorta feel that I have a dual animus, one of which is masculine.  I'm not a very maternal person and I often find myself more empathetic with a male point of view when it comes to romance because - I think a woman is silly to think she should be the center of a man's universe, demanding his undivided attention, and that she should get over her goddess fantasies and  simply be a woman the man of her choice would voluntarily cherish.  :o   I have also discerned that in the cyber world, I seem to be able to infuse my written words with "emotion" and people are often unduly affected by what I say because my subjective sentiments  transcend my objective words.  :huh:

• Like 2

@Cynique 

Yes you hve the Sun in the archetypical male  sign of Leo. The Moon is in the archetypical feminine sign of Cancer.. Also your thinking is more rational and less clouded by emotion, or when it is ou are aware of this being the case. On the feeling side you are very intuitive and some what guarded in expressing your true feelings unless you truly ttrust the person. This doesn't happen that ofetn. Since you can detect the shade an shadow of strangers.

If you meet a partner that isn't trying to control you then it is a whole different thing. It is rare to find a Person with intellectual acuity and the soul of a Poet. You have both and aren't keen to settle.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 11:55 AM, Pioneer1 said:

As I said before, I do believe there is some validity to ANCIENT astrology, but like many forms of religion....much of what is practiced now a days seems to be just another form of ESCAPISM.

How many Astrologers have you talked to and what type of Astrology did they practice and for how long?

• Like 1

Prior to knowing @Delano, I became friendly with one other professional astrologer.

I was living in West Palm Beach Florida and I, by chance, met this woman (I don't remember how we met, but this was about 27 years ago. I don't even recall her name).  Ultimately we discovered that her mother was my 3rd grade teacher, but that is unrelated to this story.

At any rate, she cast a chart for my sister who she never met and who I never described--other than providing her with her birthdate and place of birth.  After casting my sister's chart, a process which it took a day or two (this was before the advent of personal computers which would ultimately make this process pretty easy), she was able to describe my sister's personality quite well.  Now I was very skeptical but this convinced me enough to learn more about astrology by taking a course at a local college.

For a few years later I cast my own charts using a program I purchased and a thick book, which I still have, to interpret the chart's meanings.

Prior to meeting the astrologer, my girlfriend at the time, was really into astrology and I basically dismissed her beliefs it out of hand. I knew my Sun and all, but the I gave no credence to the daily horoscopes one reads in the daily newspapers.  In reality, those newspaper articles do a disservice to Astrology.

My mother caught wind of my interest and was sure to remind me, every now and again, that  it was the work of the devil.  But I was a not believer in the Devil she believed in either so...

...at any rate, this was over a quarter of a century ago and my beliefs have evolved with my time on Earth. I'm content to know that most things about the way the universe operates are simply unknowable.  Perhaps our brains are too small conceive or operate outside dimensions we can not perceive.  

In their purest sense, Astrology, religion, and even science are blind men feeling different parts of the proverbial elephant and arriving at different conclusions about the universe we occupy.

Perhaps we'll learn more after we transition.  Scientist are looking for a theory to unify the quantum and macro world.  Maybe we should seek a theory to unify the scientific and spiritual worlds.

Oh I still have not watched the video Del posted.  I tried to watch it a few days ago but fell asleep on it.  I'll try again this week.

• Like 2

In describing a person's personality, there are a lot of general things that apply to everyone.  I once shared a copy of a reading I had that was based on my birth date, hour and year. I found the reading to be very applicable to me. The person I showed the reading to, however, said it also described her. I confess that the reading  was one I sent off for and it wasn't free.  I never thought of my friend and as being similar to me in any way.  But - maybe our self perception is the same.  How we see ourselves often doesn't comply with how others see us.  Which impression is the true one???? 

What Cynique described has been my observations of many so-called "seers".
They seem to put out generalized vague information that could be applied to MOST people.

Saying things like,
"You're a deep and emotional person and no one completely understands you and your potential".

Ofcourse most people feel this way, it's called an ego and self awareness.

Or they'll sense a person's flaws and play on them like telling an unattractive person,
"Your social life is in turmoil because you keep looking for Mr./Mrs. Right but can't seem to find them".

Ofcourse most unattractive people have issues dealing with the opposite sex.

Most sharp individuals with keen observation skills can size people up in 5 minutes.
Sometimes without even talking to them.
Much of it involves a basic understanding of human psychology.

My test for the authenticity of astrologers or psychics who claim to be able to predict future events is a scientific one.
Give me a specific event and a specific time and lets see if it comes true.
No vague generalizations.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

What Cynique described has been my observations of many so-called "seers".
They seem to put out generalized vague information that could be applied to MOST people.

Saying things like,
"You're a deep and emotional person and no one completely understands you and your potential".

Ofcourse most people feel this way, it's called an ego and self awareness.

Or they'll sense a person's flaws and play on them like telling an unattractive person,
"Your social life is in turmoil because you keep looking for Mr./Mrs. Right but can't seem to find them".

Ofcourse most unattractive people have issues dealing with the opposite sex.

Most sharp individuals with keen observation skills can size people up in 5 minutes.
Sometimes without even talking to them.
Much of it involves a basic understanding of human psychology.

My test for the authenticity of astrologers or psychics who claim to be able to predict future events is a scientific one.
Give me a specific event and a specific time and lets see if it comes true.
No vague generalizations.

I wrote this on Feb 6, 2017 7:42 am in Donald Trump could be the next President

Checking my Crystal Ball I have these followwing predictions

From December 2 2016 to January 19 2018 Transiting Mars(drive) is making beneficial aspects to Jupiter(expansion); Uranus(the unexpected); North Node(destiny); Moon(body); Sun(essence); Saturn(structure). From February 10 2017 to March 7, 2017 Trans Mars is in Aries and in the 8th house of other people's money. Mars in the 8th is trine Pluto in the 12th. Both known and unseen investors will assist Trump. February 21, 2017 - February 28, 2017 Mars in the 8th sextile Uranus, Sun and North Node. Trump likes to push things but he also is very good at creating opportunities out of adversity. March 5, 2017 Mars in Aries in the 9th trine Mars in Leo in the 12. An overseas or international investors assist Trump behind the scenes.

Details of his debt obligations will also surface between February 2 February 26, 2017. It will also become clear that he is closer to his daughter than his wife. There may be some controversy through the end of March of work that Donald Trump or members of his family have undertaken.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/08/ivanka-trump-trustee-murdoch-daughters/

I had a look it appears that an investment partnership becomes public knowledge. There is a conflict of interest. This appear to be mid April 2017. April 2017 appears to be a particularly difficult month. In the following areas: Education; Investments and Family.

Checking my Crystal Ball I have these followwing predictions

From December 2 2016 to January 19 2018 Transiting Mars(drive) is making beneficial aspects to Jupiter(expansion); Uranus(the unexpected); North Node(destiny); Moon(body); Sun(essence); Saturn(structure). From February 10 2017 to March 7, 2017 Trans Mars is in Aries and in the 8th house of other people's money. Mars in the 8th is trine Pluto in the 12th. Both known and unseen investors will assist Trump. February 21, 2017 - February 28, 2017 Mars in the 8th sextile Uranus, Sun and North Node. Trump likes to push things but he also is very good at creating opportunities out of adversity. March 5, 2017 Mars in Aries in the 9th trine Mars in Leo in the 12. An overseas or international investors assist Trump behind the scenes.

Details of his debt obligations will also surface between February 2 February 26, 2017. It will also become clear that he is closer to his daughter than his wife. There may be some controversy through the end of March of work that Donald Trump or members of his family have undertaken.

First of all, hundreds if not thousands of "unseen" and "unknown" investors HAVE ALREADY invested in Donald Trump. They invested in him before he became President and continue to do so afterwards. As they did Obama, Bush, and all the other Presidents before them.
That's what people do....invest in politicians so that they can get a favorable return in the form of laws being passed and changed to suit their needs.

Secondly, we ALREADY SEE that Trump is closer to his daughter than his wife because his daughter ran around with him all through his campaign appearing on television and making speeches while his wife stayed in the background.
As President now, his daughter is with him constantly in D.C. while his wife pretty much stays out of sight mostly back in New York.

We also already knew that Mr "You're fired" likes to push people around and have things HIS WAY.
Infact he played the song "My Way" at his inauguration ball......lol.

And as far as their being controversy in his family, come on man...
The controvery between him and his son in law has stayed in the headlines.
There's always "controversy" and friction between others when it comes to a man like that.

As I said before, I need SPECIFICS.
If there's difficulty in the area of education, family and investments then EXACTLY WHAT will be uncovered that the media hasn't reported as of yet?