Black Bookstore Day

We need an event to publicize the fact that Black Bookstores exist. Earlier this year I met a young woman, college-educated and intelligent, who had no idea there were Black bookstores. This especially significant in terms of history. We have a fairly established history of Black publishers, Black newspapers and Black authors.

Black bookstores and distributors need a spotlight so that people know the best place to buy books by authors from our community is a Black bookstore.

The post where @Troy told of the activities of Bookshop.org and our exchange on the press release for my book let me know we need to work on the image of the Black bookstore. It should be as well known as any other source of our books, if not better.

Here is a question we need to answer: How much do A2Z and Bookshop.org make from our books? As it stands right now I see so many Black people are writing books it reminds me of the culture of Timbuktu and the University of Songhai. The only difference is we control the production of the books, but it seems like someone else controls distribution.

@Nnamdi Azikiwe my guess is that Bookshop.org has siphoned millions of dollars this year away from Black-owned bookstores.  I described my reasoning here

No, Black folks do not do well when it comes to the distribution and retail of Black books.  Are books fail to enjoy the sales they would otherwise. Of course the readers are less enriched as a result.

Books from authors like Anthony Browder, Claud Anderson, Jawanza Kunjufu, for example would enjoy a great deal more success. If there were more Black booksellers and better distribution of their titles. 

• Like 1

As soon as I post this message here is the very next order 🙂

1 x Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys

1 x Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys, Vol. 2

1 x Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys, Vol. 3

1 x Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys, Vol. 4

• Like 1