White people with Dreadlocks

Guest Alice

Guest Alice

I wanted to get an honest option on this highly debated topic. It's it culturally insensitive for white people to wear dreadlocks?

I'm white and I wore dreadlocks for 5 years when I was in my 20's. My dreads were started by a black woman, and when I moved a black man started working on my dreads. I never felt any negative vibes, I always felt very welcome and comfortable in the black community with my hair. 

I was wanting to bring back my beloved dreads, but my sister insists that white people can't have dreads and that I will offend people. I've tried to look up the topic and it seems very divided. 

I don't want to be disrespectful, but I truly love dreads. What's everyone's opinion?

Alice

First of all, if you're going around calling yourself "Alice" you don't have tell most people that you're white...lol.

Second, you said:

"I was wanting to bring back my beloved dreads, but my sister insists that white people can't have dreads and that I will offend people. I've tried to look up the topic and it seems very divided. 

I don't want to be disrespectful, but I truly love dreads. What's everyone's opinion?"

Based on what you've just written, I sense a problem that you may have that's DEEPER than how you'd like to style your hair.

You just said you wore locks for YEARS and got nothing but positive reception from the Black community. 
Infact, you even said it was a Black man and woman who DID you locks in the first place!
.....yet you would disregard all of that positive PERSONAL EXPERIENCE  and instead seek the OPINION of others, which often times is not only wrong but tends to be all over the map of confusion.

Well Alice...you may not WANT to be disrespectful but you are.
You are disrespecting YOURSELF.
Because you're placing more value on the opinions of OTHERS than on YOUR own direct experiences.

Guest Alice

Thank you all so much. Your responses are so kind and thoughtful. I'll show these responses to my sister, as she is the one that made me second first myself. Hopefully it will ease her mind on the topic.